1.    #1  
    Here's what I'm guessing Palms serves up this year, based on absolutely nothing.

Quarter One: Treo 750 Windows Mobile for GSM - we got that one already

Quarter Two: Treo 7XX Windows Mobile for CDMA that's antenna-less. Basically the 700w/wx without an antenna. Possibly with WiFi.

Quarter Three: Treo 7XX Windows Mobile for GSM with built in WiFi. Probably also running Crossbow.

Quarter Four: Treo 6XX or new line of 800 Treos for GSM with a "New Garnet". Still the current Palm OS, but with a total facelift - prettier icons, updated look and feel, more iPhonish/Vista-ish look. I'm guessing an incrementally thinner 680-like phone with an eye-candy re-do of the interface. Targeted at the same niche as the 680 is. Nothing substantially new in terms of capability (except maybe smoother operation due to code clean-up now that they have control of the OS).

I don't think we'll see anything with Linux until '08 - maybe longer.

Am I off my rocker? Seems to follow their incremental-improvement history and is in line with current technology capabilities.
    I only see a Sprint EVDO Ver.A Treo coming, with a "current OS".

It looks so bleak I am affraid to predict any Linux phone this year.

If the WM6 doesn't support 320X320 resolution, I can easily see POS march on for another year.

I am pretty sure Palm will update the TX some how.

And please, none of carrier in the U.S give a damn about WiFi, except TMobile. WiFi won't move any new Treo. A thinner phone will.
    My assumptions are that Palm will fall back on the 750 and 680 for most of the year. And probably the Verizon 700wx also. This is Palm we're talking about. They release new phones when they feel like it and it's often few and far between. This last round was a fluke IMO. They had to do that to keep their name and product out there. Now that people know Palm again, they will sit for a while.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am going to predict an equivalent of a 700p for GSM. I think that 3G is possible, although some parts of the implementation might be a hack (this seems common with many features that Palm implements). I also think that since Palm has more access to the PalmOS more advanced features may come into existence. At least, this seems logical based on some of he past news.

As for Windows Mobile, I wouldn't really know. I am not a WM person so I have not kept tabs on what is going on.

I think that there may be a slimmer low end Treo too.

Also, just to be optimistic, I think that the next high end Treo may include WiFi (or at least WiFi SD drivers).
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    For some reason, I'm just not that psyched up about palm's pipeline this year. I'm losing the gusto I once had for palm.

I hope my gut feeling is wrong.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Q2 or Q3

Palm's next disruptive idea is announced (possibly called Foleo), along with a suite of new web-based/server-side services, including:

VoIP/VoWLAN (Palm's own version/brand of Skype/Vonage/Google Talk?)
    Location & context aware services
    Palm's own Personal information sharing for photos, contacts, calendaring, etc (Mobile Web Server)
    Media Streaming (Palm's own version/brand of Slingbox/Orb)
    A service along the lines of Google Docs & Spreadsheets

Yes, it will run Palm's own version of Linux with a Garnet layer for backwards compatibility, and it will have WiFi and GPS.

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/11/2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Q2 or Q3

Palm's next disruptive idea is announced (possibly called Foleo), along with a suite of new web-based/server-side services, including:

VoIP/VoWLAN (Palm's own version/brand of Skype/Vonage/Google Talk?)
    Location & context aware services
    Palm's own Personal information sharing for photos, contacts, calendaring, etc (Mobile Web Server)
    Media Streaming (Palm's own version/brand of Slingbox/Orb)
    A service along the lines of Google Docs & Spreadsheets

Yes, it will run Palm's own version of Linux with a Garnet layer for backwards compatibility, and it will have WiFi and GPS.

Brian
    What? No 320x480 screen?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    For some reason, I'm just not that psyched up about palm's pipeline this year. I'm losing the gusto I once had for palm.

I hope my gut feeling is wrong.
    Ya me 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    What? No 320x480 screen?
    sacrificial keyboard...no hide and slide?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Lets not forget the prediction of Moto buying Palm who will then buy Access!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    OK I will bite

May 2007, Motorola buys Palm

July 2007 Motorola T is released, which is a very thick Q with touch screen.

The 700p and 680p models will remind the same and slowly discontinued.

Nov 2007 Motorola repackage Tungsten TX as Motorola PalmX.

March 2008, Motorola discontinue the Palm Sunnyvale headquarter and let go most of the Palm employees. Thus the end of the Palm PDA entity. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Here's what I'm guessing Palms serves up this year, based on absolutely nothing.

Quarter Four: Treo 6XX or new line of 800 Treos for GSM with a "New Garnet". Still the current Palm OS, but with a total facelift - prettier icons, updated look and feel, more iPhonish/Vista-ish look. I'm guessing an incrementally thinner 680-like phone with an eye-candy re-do of the interface. Targeted at the same niche as the 680 is. Nothing substantially new in terms of capability (except maybe smoother operation due to code clean-up now that they have control of the OS).
    I think the likelihood of Palm spending any money to facelift Garnet is extremely low. If the stories about Palm working up a Linux replacement are true, that's where Palm's software resources are going. Facelifting Garnet would be a major task, I think.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    OK I will bite

May 2007, Motorola buys Palm

July 2007 Motorola T is released, which is a very thick Q with touch screen.

The 700p and 680p models will remind the same and slowly discontinued.

Nov 2007 Motorola repackage Tungsten TX as Motorola PalmX.

March 2008, Motorola discontinue the Palm Sunnyvale headquarter and let go most of the Palm employees. Thus the end of the Palm PDA entity. ;P
    Speaking of, why doesn't Palm revamp the Tungsten TX to include phone capabilities? Is it that hard to make the components fit in the package?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Speaking of, why doesn't Palm revamp the Tungsten TX to include phone capabilities? Is it that hard to make the components fit in the package?
    Ask the Iphone...

Surur