Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys ... I'm sitting here with a Treo 750, a BlackJack, and an 8525.

Everyone's done reviews on these devices. They are all fantastic gadgets and I'd be happy to use any one of them as my daily device.

Since I have all 3, I am proposing this: I'd be willing to write up a comparsion as a head-to-head "this one is better for function X, but is adequate for function Y" type thing.

What specific features are you all looking for, or would like to learn more about?

Or has this been done to death ... (Just trying to be helpful ...)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I have a question. I only held the 8525 once so I have only slight memory of it, but can you tell me if it feels as much of a brick as the 8125(I got one for testing). I remember it felt a bit like a Sidekick(only sleeker) and so does the 8125.

P.S. To keep on topic with the thread: So far the 750 is a better phone with PDA capabilities, but the 8125(same form factor as 8525) works well as a PDA and a Sidekick replacement. Lots of texting on the keyboard. Just as we all suspected anyway, LOL! But is it the same with the 8525?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/09/2007 at 03:46 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    The 8525 is virtually the same size as the 8125, but it feels a TON better in the hand. It's amazing what the curves to to the edges. The keyboard layout is much improved and makes the device much more usable. It even has some function key shortcuts such as "Open File Manager". The front panel OK and Windows button is quite nice.

My favorite feature is the scroll-wheel. In fact, this is probably the main reason it's in my pocket right now instead of the T750. It makes the device much more usable one-handed.

The speed difference between the 8125 and the 8525 make them feel like totally difference devices. The 8525 is quite simply ... FAST.

With regards to the 8125 (mine is sitting here with battle-scars wondering why I don't play with it any more) one thing I miss is the voice-record button. I used voice notes a lot ... there is no simple way to do it on the run with any of the three devices I listed in this thread. :-(
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Here's another question. I got the 8125 from someone else who used it a lot for texting. So the keyboard mechanism when you push the keyboard back in, while still solid, doesn't click into place exactly. It's a little loose. Is that from heavy usage or the way it is to begin with? This was one of my main concerns about holding off getting a TyTN. Too expensive to buy if the keyboard is going to start slipping.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Here's another question. I got the 8125 from someone else who used it a lot for texting. So the keyboard mechanism when you push the keyboard back in, while still solid, doesn't click into place exactly. It's a little loose. Is that from heavy usage or the way it is to begin with? This was one of my main concerns about holding off getting a TyTN. Too expensive to buy if the keyboard is going to start slipping.
    It depends.

I had the worst luck with the 8125. (Probably because I was an early adopter). I went through about 7 of them before I finally got one that worked right.

Of them, some came lose out of the box. Some came really tight. I just got 3 more in and they are all really tight. They will loosen up a bit over time, but only so far then they remain pretty consistent.

To me:
    The 8125 feels more rugged then the 8525.
    The 8525 feels more refined and professional.

(Not sure if that makes any sense ....)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Does HTC not using magnetic sliders like Samsung?
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    It depends.

I had the worst luck with the 8125. (Probably because I was an early adopter). I went through about 7 of them before I finally got one that worked right.

Of them, some came lose out of the box. Some came really tight. I just got 3 more in and they are all really tight. They will loosen up a bit over time, but only so far then they remain pretty consistent.

To me:
    The 8125 feels more rugged then the 8525.
    The 8525 feels more refined and professional.

(Not sure if that makes any sense ....)
    The 8125 is such a brick!! I only like it due to the OS and features. I really wish they had done it like it's cousins! All of them had rounded off edges. I think the 8125 does look professional, so much so that it's a stick in the mud-looking device! Now explain why I'm happy to be using one???? It's gotta be the OS and screen size.
    Oh yeah, I was able to get it SIM unlocked on XDA Developers, so it will work on T-Mobile. I tested it with a T-Mobile SIM.

Hello i also have great concerns when it comes to the Treo 750 and 8525. I'm currently with Sprint and have the 700wx. I'm really getting tired with Sprint and looking for a change as far as service is concerned. Plus my bill is TOO high and it could be cheaper with Cingular and plus i'd be paying for 3G service and way way faster internet speeds while browsing the net. It's just a matter of which PDA phone to go with, either the 8525 or T750.

I have to ask over all, which is the best pocket pc b/t the two? I already know the obvious of the keyboard on the 8525 when it comes to texting compared to the 750. And i definitely text a lot (nearly 1k if not a lil more a month). As far as OS which is better? As far as internet speeds which is quicker. I know the 8525 has WI-FI but is that actually a plus with the 3G that Cingular has? Any info. would help my decision. Looking to make some moves this week.

Thanks,

DL
    Sprint is supposed to be cheaper than Cingular. Maybe you should try renegotiating your plan with Retentions. I see people recommend this all the time. 700wx is supposed to get EVDO, the CDMA version of 3G. You have almost the same phone as the 750, except for appearance and the miniSD. It's just the CDMA version.

As for PPC, that would be the 8525 from my experience with the 8125. It's a PDA with a phone included. The 750 is a better phone with PDA features. The OS is the almost the same, you'll get more screen real estate on the 8525 though. Palm did tweak the 750 WM version so there are slight differences.

Thanks for the info.. So when you talk about the 8525 being more of a pda rather than a phone, how is the phone aspect of the 8525? Does it function well as a phone and are you able to hear well, etc...?

And yes you're correct about the EVDO being the equivalent to Cingular's 3G service when comparing the 700wx with the 750. I guess comparing both to the 8525, the 8525 is blazing faster than both.
    i have done a review on the 8125, the predecessor to the 8525. In short, i think they make absolutely no sense( imo )
    You can learn more here
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we..._ppc_phon.html
    Except he said he texts a lot. He may need the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    Thanks for the info.. So when you talk about the 8525 being more of a pda rather than a phone, how is the phone aspect of the 8525? Does it function well as a phone and are you able to hear well, etc...?

And yes you're correct about the EVDO being the equivalent to Cingular's 3G service when comparing the 700wx with the 750. I guess comparing both to the 8525, the 8525 is blazing faster than both.
    You really have to ask Driven about the 8525's phone performance. I just feel that since the form factor is the same as the 8125, these phones make better PDAs. The 8125 does work as a phone, but it's more like a mobile communicator IMO. Kind of inconvenient to make a call, plus I need to find some better phone management software. The built-in one sucks. I think Palm tweaked the phone app better froom what I understand. Although I haven't used it that much, no one has complained so far.

14.    #14  
    You really have to ask Driven about the 8525's phone performance. I just feel that since the form factor is the same as the 8125, these phones make better PDAs. The 8125 does work as a phone, but it's more like a mobile communicator IMO. Kind of inconvenient to make a call, plus I need to find some better phone management software. The built-in one sucks. I think Palm tweaked the phone app better froom what I understand. Although I haven't used it that much, no one has complained so far.
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. Just got in. (Midnight here in San Francisco ... that's 3AM to my normal body clock .... ugh. Quite tired.)

The 8125 is absolutely a better PDA than a phone, while the 8525 closes the gap to "phone-ish" quite a bit. Between the scroll wheel and the one-handed dial-pad it's quite good. I'll go out on a limb and say that in some ways it exceeds the Treo 750.

Example: If I want to dial "Don Jones" on the 8525 I can use the T9 keypad to type "Don", "Jones" or even "DJ" and a listing of matching phone numbers will show up. I can pick the one I want using the d-pad or scroll wheel and dial.

With the Treo 750 I can only type "Don" or "Jones". DJ won't do anything. This can be a bit cumbersome at times.

My second gripe is a personal preference and it may be that I'm set in my ways but I'll put this out there anyway:

On the 8525 you have a "phone app" that's separate from your today screen. On this phone app you have separate buttons to access your call log, your speed dials, etc.

On the 750 there really isn't a difference between the today screen and your phone app. In fact they are one and the same. Personally I don't like this. If I want to see my speed dials, I have to turn on the today plug-in for them. (They work if I don't display them, but there is no easy way to list them without the today plug in.) On a 240x240 screen you want to show as little as possible. (You can access the call log from the right soft-key.)

Short version: I think the phone app in the 750 is over-rated while the 8525 isn't given enough credit for what it can do.

Trust me: I want to love the Treo 750 ... I'm still not over the loss of my Treo 650 and I have nostalgic reasons for wanting this 750 to be MY phone. Unless something changes though I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that you really can't go home again. (That said ... neither device has achieved the ease-of-use or the one handed operation of the Treo 650).
    Last edited by driven01; 02/13/2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Made the first paragraph a bit more clear
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Can you send an SMS directly from the call list on either? I can't on the 8125. And it's so annoying that I seem to have to add the number to contacts first to send an SMS. Looking for a program to change that QUICK!

16.    #16  
    Can you send an SMS directly from the call list on either? I can't on the 8125. And it's so annoying that I seem to have to add the number to contacts first to send an SMS. Looking for a program to change that QUICK!
    Ugh ... I had to plug my SIM back into my 8525 to test this. (I'm trying to force myself to spend at least a week with the Treo 750 so I can make an honest assessment. Next week is my time with the Blackjack.)

To answer your question: Yes, you can send an SMS directly from the call log on the 8525, same as the Treo 750. Just click and hold (or hold the center button of the 5 way navigator) on the call entry and click "Send text message". The 8525 pulls up Pocket Outlook and the Treo pulls up its own proprietary SMS program.

I think the only advantage the Treo 750 has in this area is that you can directly reply with SMS as you are ignoring an incoming call. (I need someone to call me to validate this .. I'll check today to verify how it works.)

The Treo 750 lets you check your contacts and call log directly from the today screen. The 8525 requires you to open the phone app to do the same thing. Since the Treo 750 has combined the Today screen and phone app this makes sense. The method you prefer will largely depend on personal choice. I like the 8525 method better, but I could use either without complaining too much.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Thanks very much for your reply and input. I was waiting for you to chime in here and give your thoughts on this talked about issue.

So said some really interesting things. And it kind of makes my decision a lil harder as a result! :-) You hinted on the phone app of the 8525, how is it as far as making a call and being able to hear the caller and vice versa? Also when sliding the phone up to display the keyboard do you notice a lag time in the screens switching over? (I noticed this on the PPC-6700) I read where this was a problem on the 8125, wondering if that was fixed or not. Also the looseness of the slider when you would slide it up on the 8125. It felt as if it wasn't in place and wearing a lil. Is this a fix for the 8525?

In terms of the internet speed, etc... (400 processor vs. the 300 processor on the T750) Are there noticable differences b/t the two? I know the T750 is a 3G phone on Cingular's network, however, it doesn't have the fastest service as the 8525 does. Also by the 8525 being WI-FI and the T750 not, is that a BIG PLUS or is it over rated? I also notice there's a difference in the camera, bumping the megapixel up to 2.0 instead of the norm being 1.3 on all the other pocket pcs out there.

One last thing the upgrade that was announced for WM6 for the T750, will there be a download for this upgrade or would you have to buy a new T750 to get the upgrade. (maybe the T780)???
    Hey Driven01 - no questions for ya - just a thank you for the answers and thoughts in this thread - very cool stuff. I'm a huge 8525 fan, but have not yet played with the Treo 750 ...
  19.    #19  
    No worries. Thanks everyone for participating in this thread.

I'm at the office again (Deploying software to mobile devices literally around the globe.) ... I'll respond this evening ...

Short version: If you like the 8525 you'll also like the Treo 750 and vice versa. It comes down to: style, software (and software bundles), and screen size.

Anyway: More later ...
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    That sounds very interesting. What do you use to deploy software?

Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post

I'm at the office again (Deploying software to mobile devices literally around the globe.) ... I'll respond this evening ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast