Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Another possibility. Another thread reminded me of the headset problem. Phone still thinks it's plugged in. Hard reset cured it.
    I was using a bluetooth headset all week. Never plugged one in. A hard-reset did cure it and I've been on the 8525 since so I haven't had the opportunity to reproduce the issue.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Martin Fields! I really like this one!
    I can vouch for that. Martin Fields is really good
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=driven01;1198489]dhammond_man ... I agree with your point about the phone app. I like the 8525's (Hermes) phone app better. Personal preference ..
    ------------------
    I'm a long time Treo (Palm OS) user on Sprint, currently with a 700P on 30 day trial....With the 700P I'm hooked on the new world of fast EVDO internet access....but I've considered switching to the Cingular 750V or the 8525 because I want Bluetooth 2.0 with properly functioning A2DP/AVRCP. I want my phone to also replace my recently stolen IPod and I think A2DP is the "Ticket" to stream my music collection to wireless headphones and to my car stereo and for handsfree phone operation in the car. ....Later this year a lot of car radios will be available with better Bluetooth w/ A2DP built in

I like the big keyboard and horizontal screen real esate of the 8525....but I couldn't figure out how to make it work one-handed as a phone like I'm used to with a Treo. I'm a stranger to WM5 and I just can't seem to get how the phone part works. I'm used to the device "defaulting" to efficient phone use.

So with WM5 on these 3 devices how do you quickly get to your call log to redial previous callers or to your contacts list ?

And on the 8525 , there's no keyboard until you open it sideways, so how do you quickly dial (with my thumb please...not a stylus) a letter or two ("DJ" or "DON" to find a contact as you stated in your "Don Jones" example.).......without opening the slider and turning the phone sideways.

What am I missing when you say the phone ap is better on the 8525...just better than the WM5 version on the 750..??? or as good as the phone app in a Palm OS Treo???

Years ago, I regrettably had to leave Verizon to get a Treo from Sprint...that was a step down IMHO in service....Will leaving Sprint to get a Bluetooth 2.O device from Cingular...be a further stepdown in service..???????

With Sprint I have a 2000 minute plan for $100 w/ unlimited data for another $15. The same plan from Cingular is the same for the 2000 minutes, but the unlimited data is $40 per month.....and there's no replacement insurance for PDA's available from Cingular.....and I've had to use my Sprint insurance before.

Confused!

Warren C
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    That's what I was saying about the one-handed operation. ......
    On the 8525 I can still type (using T9 in the phone app) "Jack" or "Bauer" or the phone number but I can also type "JB". When driving I much prefer typing the initials of a name. .

The scroll wheel sounds good but what does "T9" do that you keep mentioning ....hopefully something more than open up that tiny virtual keyboard that I can't even see..??

Warren
    Warren C.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wchapman View Post
    The scroll wheel sounds good but what does "T9" do that you keep mentioning ....hopefully something more than open up that tiny virtual keyboard that I can't even see..??

Warren

You tap the onscreen number pad with your thumb. It's a full T9 keyboard.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  6.    #66  
    another cool trick: for speed dialing you can press and hold the number button associated with the speed-dial.

Example: If Homer Simpson is speed dial #4 then I can press and hold #4 to initiate a call to Homer.

If I want to call his wife Marge, and she isn't in speed dial I can use the same virtual T9 keypad to dial 'Marge', or 'MS' which will provide me with a list of possible contact hits from my contacts DB. Now I can just select the contact I want using the scroll-wheel and the call is initiated.

Good stuff.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
  7.    #67  
    The Blackjack didn't last very long.

Pros: I *LOVED* the form-factor. The screen was the best of the three devices I was playing with. The speed was very good. Best one-handed operation of the three devices I mentioned. Nifty instant messaging application included (although it used SMS for sync)

Cons: The apps seemed more limited. Many features of my own companies app was more limited. Apps that I used daily had a smartphone version but they would require me to purchase them again.

The cons on this list were bigger issues for me than I thought.

So ... in the end I was left with deciding to use the 8525 or the Treo 750.

It was a close call but in the end I went with the 8525. The primary motivation was:

- The 320x240 screen. The 240x240 screen annoyed me too much and I couldn't get used to it even after working with it for quite a while.

- Connectors: The 8525 uses standard USB connectors that are available everywhere (in case you forget to pack it). The USB cable charges the device. The Treo 750's doesn't without an additional power outlet. This is not the most handy configuration, especially when working as a consultant in a clients office or in a hotel. The battery life is bad enough on both devices that you want to charge whenever possible.

- The camera. The 1.3 MP camera and the photo quality on the Treo is not even close to the camera quality of the 8525.

The Bluetooth 2.0 thing also tilted in favor of the 8525 but that was a much less important issue for me.

The only pro pushing more to the Treo was the form-factor. The software customizations weren't a huge benefit to me (and in the case of the phone app I found them to be actually a disadvantage.)

Again: All three of these devices are fantastic. So .. I was down to picking the best of the best. I'd be happy with any one of them, but since I have access to them all I had a chance to be nit-picky.

One last thought: If the Treo 750 had the screen of the Blackjack (320x240) and the camera of the 8525 I would have gone with the 750.

Next up: I'm going to dork with the E61. (The first negative ... no camera, but I've got an open mind to this device.)
    Last edited by driven01; 03/08/2007 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Added one last thought
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    One good thing about no-camera phones, you don't have to butcher the phone to use it in those restricted places. I've seen posts about people asking how to remove or disable the Treo camera.

Glad I don't work in a restricted place though! I like the camera option on phones that offer them, just for cases of emergency if nothing else.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hello,

Well after a long thought decision here i had to get rid of the 8525 and i switched it out for the 750, which is what i'm use to anyway from having the 700wx w/ Sprint. Luckily, my sales rep. was able to switch me out w/o having to pay full price for the phone since i've had the 8525 for about a month and a half. If it wouldn't have worked out this way, i definitely would've kept the 8525. There was a $100 difference i had to pay, however, there's also a $100 rebate. So that worked out.

Main reason as to why i had to switch was b/c of the form factor! It seemed like for every little thing i did on the 8525 i had to pull out the slider. I'm one that texts a WHOLE LOT so using it w/ one hand was definitely out of the question. So while on the road, i found myself driving w/ my leg and having both hands on the 8525 in order to text. It was just way TOO cumbersome! When i was deciding it was definitely a close decision and i went with the 8525 due to it having WIFI and a better pixel for camera, however, i never used the WIFI and you can't tell that much of a difference between the 1.3 and 2.0 mp. Again the thing that made me switch was form factor and being able to use it as a one-handed device.

At first, i stated i liked the phone app better on the 8525 but once i got a hold to the Treo again, i have to say i like it better. You can do everything from the Today screen. Very convienient.

Oh and also the fact that palm brought back threaded messages for the texting with the 750.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234