Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah, probably with more WM devices. Sad, even though I've now moved to WM. Those rumors of the actual reworking of the Palm OS, how reliable are they?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Oh yeah, I think there's some bug in VC that causes sound not to play on the 750. I didn't use it because of that.

I can't blame the 8125 for much except it's too thick. I won't even complain about the keyboard. Thanks to the 8125, I will now be getting the 8525 or TyTN. I guess I had to use one to see if I could deal with it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #43  
    Who knows. I can tell you that I haven't seen anything new yet. (And I'm not violating an HDA by saying that .. which I would have if I mentioned anything about the Treo 750 early last year.) There is NOTHING that I see in the pipeline. ...

That said: The 680 managed to sneak up on me. I had no idea that was coming out. One of my colleagues on the west-coast knew about it (and even had one prior to release) but since it was a consumer device and it was so similar to the 650 it didn't raise any flags.

How about that ... two paragraphs and I really didn't tell you anything. I should go into politics. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Oh yeah, I think there's some bug in VC that causes sound not to play on the 750. I didn't use it because of that.

I can't blame the 8125 for much except it's too thick. Even the keyboard. Thanks to the 8125, I will now be getting the 8525 or TyTN. I guess I had to use one to see if I could deal with it.
    I think you'll like it. I like the Treo, but I didn't realize how much I liked the 8525 until I used the Treo.

Have you used a Blackjack yet? Any thoughts? (That's my next adventure.) I do know you've also used the Nokia E61 or E62 ... and due to a customer request I have to get up to speed on that device like yesterday. Unfortunately mine is sitting back in my office on the east coast so that will have to wait until next week.

Thanks for the tip on the sound with Voice Commander. I'll turn that feature off.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I'm not a fan of Smartphone. The WM6 version seems OK, but the WM5 version just got on my nerves.

You can say that again. You have to buy and run and customize a whole bunch of 3rd party utils to make the Smartphone OS version (in WM5) even slighlty less dumb I think ....

I'm not a fan of Smartphone. The WM6 version seems OK, but the WM5 version just got on my nerves.
  7.    #47  
    Perhaps not-s-smartphone would be a good term. (smile)

I do like the Blackjack hardware, especially the screen. (I don't like the proprietary connection points though.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    LOL, yeah that would be better. Think I'm one of the few who prefers the new WM6 naming scheme with Standard and Professional and so on. I believe using the term smartphone for an OS version caused huge confusion, because we all also use it to refer to an entire class of devices.

Blackjack hardware = I have heard all excellent things about it - including my colleague's review of it at our site:
    http://justanothermobilemonday.com/W...jack-sgh-i607/
    My 8125 wouldn't accept at least 5 WAV files as ringtones, but accepted 3 others. Is there some type of restriction on ringtones on these devices? Maybe that DRM thing? Too bad XDA removed files, I may need a generic Wizard ROM if that's the case!

Just thought i'd give me perception of the 8525 since I JUST PICKED IT UP FROM CINGULAR. I love this thing in person! I love the feel of it. Definitely doesn't feel like a brick as my 700wx felt. It feels a lil lighter than the 700wx also. One thing that i know for a fact is i will definitely have to play around with it in order to get use to how this one operates as far as having to slide the keyboard out. Hopefully i won't find it too combersome to deal with. I know i will but only due to the fact of me being use to the Treo's form factor since the Treo 650. I have 30 days so we'll see what happens.

If i do decide to keep it, which i more than likely will, which apps are a must?
  11.    #51  
    more later ... posting on the run again.

I'm back on the 8525 (with a funny story to tell). this is the first time i've used my new bluetooth headset with it. I am noticing static that wasn't there when I used it with the 750. Anyone have any experience in this area? (otherwise I am very happy to be back on the 8525)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
  12.    #52  
    My 8125 wouldn't accept at least 5 WAV files as ringtones, but accepted 3 others. Is there some type of restriction on ringtones on these devices? Maybe that DRM thing? Too bad XDA removed files, I may need a generic Wizard ROM if that's the case!
    Send me one of the files that don't work and I'll give it a try. I don't recall having any problems, but I'm not a big ring-tone guy. (I'm pretty uncreative.) My big innovation was making my phone ring like the AT&T phones on "24". doop-doop-di-doop.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    Just thought i'd give me perception of the 8525 since I JUST PICKED IT UP FROM CINGULAR. I love this thing in person! I love the feel of it. Definitely doesn't feel like a brick as my 700wx felt. It feels a lil lighter than the 700wx also. One thing that i know for a fact is i will definitely have to play around with it in order to get use to how this one operates as far as having to slide the keyboard out. Hopefully i won't find it too combersome to deal with. I know i will but only due to the fact of me being use to the Treo's form factor since the Treo 650. I have 30 days so we'll see what happens.

If i do decide to keep it, which i more than likely will, which apps are a must?
    Congrats on the purchase! That's a nice unit! After switching back from the Treo 750 I now realize that the 8525 certainly requires the stylus more than the 750 does (I've figured out a few reasons why ... mostly dealing with the way the center key on the 5-way navigator is processed.) It's partially forgiven however with the beautifully useful scroll-wheel.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Obviously, must-have apps are entirely dependent on your usage patterns, what you want / need to accomplish with the device. But ... in general:
    -- Get a good PIM to replace built-in ones - like Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion (ht ecurrent leaders) or Agendus, which has just brought out a WM version
    -- A good digital wallet app for stroing sensitive info - see another thread started by Phone Diva that talks of several of the leaders here - SplashID, eWallet, Codewallet, FlexWallet etc
    -- RSS Readers (are we all RSS addicts now?) - NewsBreak, Spb Insight, FeederReader, NewsGator Go
    -- Backup program - the two leaders are Spb Backup and Sprite Backup
    -- Today add-ons and Task Managers = there are lots of good ones - some do little more than task management, some have a zillion bells & whistles - my favorite here is iLauncher

That's a little starter - if you name some other areas you care about most, I'm sure folks will have other suggestions ...

Driven, I just saw a thread that also mention SPB apps as causing the volume problem.

16.    #56  
    Driven, I just saw a thread that also mention SPB apps as causing the volume problem.
    I don't have any installed. It was weird.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Well after having the 8525 for the whole weekend, one thing i can definitely say is that i have to use the stylus 100 x's more than i did w/ my Treo. A lot of times i find myself just using the touchscreen and touching where it is i want to go instead of pulling out the stylus every single time. I won't really call it a drawback, it's really more so me not being use to it.

Another thing i found out was unlike the Blackjack, the 8525 doesn't support the Cingular streaming where you can download 3-5 min. clips of news, sports, etc... I was kind of looking forward to that. Is there a work-around?

Again i do love the phone app of the 8525 more so than the treo. It seems a lil more straight forward. I like how it's kind of like a separate app. if that makes sense. Again the only thing is having to press the numbers on the keypad. I prefer this over sliding out the keyboard and entering the numbers that way. Which leads me to believe that i'm going to need to invest in some good screen protectors!!! :-) Any suggestions?
    Martin Fields! I really like this one!

I have not tried PPC Tech's screen protectors, but they look good too.

Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I don't have any installed. It was weird.
    Another possibility. Another thread reminded me of the headset problem. Phone still thinks it's plugged in. Hard reset cured it.

20.    #60  
    Well after having the 8525 for the whole weekend, one thing i can definitely say is that i have to use the stylus 100 x's more than i did w/ my Treo. A lot of times i find myself just using the touchscreen and touching where it is i want to go instead of pulling out the stylus every single time. I won't really call it a drawback, it's really more so me not being use to it.

Another thing i found out was unlike the Blackjack, the 8525 doesn't support the Cingular streaming where you can download 3-5 min. clips of news, sports, etc... I was kind of looking forward to that. Is there a work-around?

Again i do love the phone app of the 8525 more so than the treo. It seems a lil more straight forward. I like how it's kind of like a separate app. if that makes sense. Again the only thing is having to press the numbers on the keypad. I prefer this over sliding out the keyboard and entering the numbers that way. Which leads me to believe that i'm going to need to invest in some good screen protectors!!! :-) Any suggestions?
    That's what I was saying about the one-handed operation. However: After running with the Treo 750 I found that I actually preferred the touch screen for certain operations (such as the phone) and I just didn't realize it at the time.

Something else to note: The "smart dialing" of the 8525 is better than on the Treo 750. Example: If I want to call Jack Bauer on the Treo then from the Today screen I can type "Jack" or "Bauer" or the phone number and it will find a match at some point during my typing.

On the 8525 I can still type (using T9 in the phone app) "Jack" or "Bauer" or the phone number but I can also type "JB". When driving I much prefer typing the initials of a name.

You get used to the touch screen part. (Heck, the iPhone is about to make that stylish).

Coming from the 8125 I must say that the touch screen would annoy me a lot more if it were not for the scroll wheel. That helps a lot.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast