Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply and input. I was waiting for you to chime in here and give your thoughts on this talked about issue.

    So said some really interesting things. And it kind of makes my decision a lil harder as a result! :-) You hinted on the phone app of the 8525, how is it as far as making a call and being able to hear the caller and vice versa? Also when sliding the phone up to display the keyboard do you notice a lag time in the screens switching over? (I noticed this on the PPC-6700) I read where this was a problem on the 8125, wondering if that was fixed or not. Also the looseness of the slider when you would slide it up on the 8125. It felt as if it wasn't in place and wearing a lil. Is this a fix for the 8525?
    The slider is what I was worried about too. I think the screen change will be much faster though, due to a better processor.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The slider is what I was worried about too. I think the screen change will be much faster though, due to a better processor.
    The screen rotation is blazingly fast. The 8125 was OK (certainly better than the 6700). The 8525 is just really quick with the screen rotation. In fact, it's pretty snappy all the way around.

    The slider is "OK". Honestly I doubt I'd ever be happy with it. It's as good as can be expected I guess. I'd prefer some sort of flip (NO idea what it would look like) or the form-factor of the Treo 750 with the screen resolution of the 8525.

    One big plus of the Treo 750 is that it feels REALLY well built.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    That sounds very interesting. What do you use to deploy software?
    A product by Sybase/iAnywhere called Afaria.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply and input. I was waiting for you to chime in here and give your thoughts on this talked about issue.

    So said some really interesting things. And it kind of makes my decision a lil harder as a result! :-) You hinted on the phone app of the 8525, how is it as far as making a call and being able to hear the caller and vice versa? Also when sliding the phone up to display the keyboard do you notice a lag time in the screens switching over? (I noticed this on the PPC-6700) I read where this was a problem on the 8125, wondering if that was fixed or not. Also the looseness of the slider when you would slide it up on the 8125. It felt as if it wasn't in place and wearing a lil. Is this a fix for the 8525?
    Volume on both phones is adequate. I have had no complaints from anyone I've called on either one. The T750 has a slight dialing advantage with the physical buttons on the front. If you can get used to the touch-screen on the 8525 then the virtual buttons are actually bigger and work just fine. (Besides, the iPhone has made the tablet format stylish!) :-)

    I found one disadvantage with the T750 tonight. I wanted to copy a phone number from a word document and paste it into the phone to dial it. I've done this a hundred times on the Wizard (8125) and the Hermes (8525). It works well. However ... the combined today screen/phone app on the 750 doesn't support "paste". So .. since my biological memory is too limited to remember 10 digits I ended up created a contact in my address book called "temp" where I could paste the phone number. After that I was able to dial the number. This is a case where Palm's innovation works against you.

    In terms of the internet speed, etc... (400 processor vs. the 300 processor on the T750) Are there noticable differences b/t the two? I know the T750 is a 3G phone on Cingular's network, however, it doesn't have the fastest service as the 8525 does. Also by the 8525 being WI-FI and the T750 not, is that a BIG PLUS or is it over rated? I also notice there's a difference in the camera, bumping the megapixel up to 2.0 instead of the norm being 1.3 on all the other pocket pcs out there.
    Both devices are quite fast. The 8525 is faster, and you notice it. But: I doubt you'd be disappointed with the T750. Again... these are both excellent devices so you can't go wrong either way.

    Now: As far as camera quality: The 8525's camera is MUCH better than the T750. The T750 quality is barely better than my T650 was. (The T650 actually had better color saturation and generally took much better pictures than the T750). The 8525's camera is very very good. It also adds a nearly useless flash and a useful macro-mode. (The macro-mode is terrific for taking snaps of documents for importing into an OCR or OneNote.)

    I finally took an OK picture with the T750 tonight, at the Apple HQ in Cupertino. (See here: http://www.zsoldos.org/blog). I still consider this a bad picture, but at least it's viewable. (Well, other than the fact that I'm not much to look at ... but you get the idea.) Had I had the 8525 or even my Cannon with me the pic would have been better.

    One last thing the upgrade that was announced for WM6 for the T750, will there be a download for this upgrade or would you have to buy a new T750 to get the upgrade. (maybe the T780)???
    Not sure ... hopefully.

    Personally I think Palm will probably be among the first to exploit the new 320x320 resolution. If they can pull this off without making the existing Windows Mobile apps get all wonky then more power too them. This 240x240 screen is really NOT growing on me.

    Just one other annoyance (If I didn't mention it earlier) ... the proprietary data connector on the T750 doesn't charge the device. To make matters worse the battery life is horrid on the T750. If you don't want to bring the charger with you to the office you might find yourself hurting by the end of the day. This is a big plus for any device with a standard USB cable that also charges during "cradle time".

    Anyway: I have 4 more days in my self-imposed T750 trial. Something could happen to make me fall in love with this device ... let's see. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    The screen rotation is blazingly fast. The 8125 was OK (certainly better than the 6700). The 8525 is just really quick with the screen rotation. In fact, it's pretty snappy all the way around.

    The slider is "OK". Honestly I doubt I'd ever be happy with it. It's as good as can be expected I guess. I'd prefer some sort of flip (NO idea what it would look like) or the form-factor of the Treo 750 with the screen resolution of the 8525.

    One big plus of the Treo 750 is that it feels REALLY well built.
    Nokia makes some flip communicators with a keyboard inside. They just released a new one(or are about to). It doesn't look bad! But it looks like HTC likes sliders.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/14/2007 at 04:32 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Anyway: I have 4 more days in my self-imposed T750 trial. Something could happen to make me fall in love with this device ... let's see. :-)
    I loved it the first day I got it. Granted, 240x240 sucks a bit. But if used mainly as a phone with PDA functions, it's OK. Now this might mean that the Wizard and 8525 will have to be used to replace my PDA, because the 750 square screen is a bit too small for me to list all my tasks and stuff. Not without a lot of scrolling, that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I loved it the first day I got it. Granted, 240x240 sucks a bit. But if used mainly as a phone with PDA functions, it's OK. Now this might mean that the Wizard and 8525 will have to be used to replace my PDA, because the 750 square screen is a bit too small for me to list all my tasks and stuff. Not without a lot of scrolling, that is.
    Don't get me wrong ... I should have said "love it more than my 8525". There is a lot to love, and if I didn't previously fall in love with the screen, speed and scroll-wheel of the 8525 I'd never let this T750 go.

    When this is all done I'll post my reasons for whichever device I choose to use on a full-time basis.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  8. #28  
    Thanks for your in depth in view "Driven01"... very helpful.

    So i was at Cingular on yesterday checking out the 750 and 8525 and i think i have come to a decision... 8525 may win the vote for me!!! Just as so many people have stated before on this forum, if you can get pass the form factor of the 8525 by it being a slider, then it's pretty much a no brainer!!! Plus it's CHEAPER!!! I would be able to get it for around $250 with my employee discount on top of their rebates.

    Now don't get me wrong, it's hard for me to make the change based on form factor since i've had the T650 and now the T700wx, however, with me texting A LOT (approx. 1k per month) and sending out emails, which i would definitely be doing awhole lot more of due to Cingular not having unlimited texting and i don't want to pay all that money to get the 3000 texts when i could just email and it would be free per the unlimited data plan... I think i would definitely love the form factor of the slide out full keyboard over the form of the Treo. The buttons are larger and spaced nicely, not to mention the beautiful back light of the keyboard. It's a nice, crisp electric blue color. I like it. It's not like the 8525 is such a brick of a phone. It's definitely no bigger than the 750, and maybe a lil smaller. I was worried about sliding it out and the looseness of the phone but when they took one out for me last night, it was suprisingly a good feel to it. Someone had said the 750 had a solid feel, i would say the same for the 8525. It actually clicks into place when you slide it up and slide it back down. And it's not a loose feeling while sliding it up/down.

    So this along with it being Wi-Fi, which isn't too big of a deal, however, it's nice to know that it's there. The camera being a 2.0 mp vs. 1.3mp. and the processor speed being 400mhz vs 300 of the 750. And again it's CHEAPER! I'll more than likely make the move on Friday and worse case i can always try it out and return it before the trial period is up.

    Oh one more thing before i forget about the phone app of the 8525... I remember someone asking about this and how it's not as straight forward, so to speak as the Treo as far as bringing up your call log, etc... I personally didn't see a problem with it. If anything the phone app on the 8525 may be a lil better. You hit the Phone button, then touch Call Log or whatever. Versus having to hit Menu, scrolling down to Call Log. I maybe if anything they're about the same but i definitely wouldn't say the phone app on the 8525 is less than the 750. I know i've written a lot... hope you all find this useful. I'm like Driven01... not unless someone just finds something soooo spectacular about the 750, i'll more than likely go with the 8525. Again it's a no brainer for everything that you get with it vs. what's lacking in the 750.
  9. #29  
    Oh one thing that i definitely love about the 750 hands down is the fact they bought back the threaded text messages. I LOVED THIS!!! So i'll go on record now and say that the first app i buy for the 8525 is the program for this to take place. Does anyone know the best one out there if it's more than one? Also how would it work? I'm assuming you would still create a new text message and the process would still be the same correct?
  10. #30  
    I will probably get the TyTN too. I do think it's thinner than the 8125, so I can deal with it. I still have to use the keyboard more though, to get used to it. But I just prefer the vertical screen a bit better. I still get the Sidekick Syndrome with the keyboard open. It's like I have a high-tech Sidekick, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #31  
    I owned (still have) an 8125 and now use an 8525. As Driven has pointed out above, although the sheer physical stats wouldn't relect this, the 8525 feels *much* slimmer in every way - in the hand, in the pocket. And it is a superb all-round device ...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I will probably get the TyTN too. I do think it's thinner than the 8125, so I can deal with it. I still have to use the keyboard more though, to get used to it. But I just prefer the vertical screen a bit better. I still get the Sidekick Syndrome with the keyboard open. It's like I have a high-tech Sidekick, LOL!
  12.    #32  
    dhammond_man ... I agree with your point about the phone app. I like the 8525's (Hermes) phone app better. Personal preference ..

    Bummer. I just had to give my customer my 8525 for testing an app today. I'll have it back by the weekend but for now the Treo is my pocket-buddy. (Hey, the employer pays for all this stuff and that's why .. so I can give them to customers when needed. I can't complain.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  13. #33  
    Hey Driven - I don't know exactly what your job is, but it sure sounds nice ...
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    Hey Driven - I don't know exactly what your job is, but it sure sounds nice ...
    Well ... hmm ... I'd like to say I'm a spy for a government agency, but I'm not.

    I'm a software consultant / engineer for hire. I work with mobile systems management which means pretty much any device that's not tied to a desk. (PDAs, laptops, tablets, and any "smartphone" type device you can imagine. Palm, Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Mobile, pretty much anything you can think of.) Software deployment, inventory management, custom code solutions, new device provisioning, data security management including "kill-pill" type solutions for lost devices.

    Sorry to be so long winded but my job changes with each assignment so it's never the same. I also do product training on the same systems in North America and Europe. It's fun and never, ever boring. As an added bonus it pays really well. The only downside: I'm home very infrequently.

    Prior to this I was a software engineer with the same company. I wanted more customer interaction. Well ... I got it.

    Where it helps me with TreoCentral is that I get to play with pretty much any device that comes out. So ... if I can make all of YOUR lives a little easier then that's an added bonus.

    Now I'm off to dinner. Good thing for a portable GPS system (Garmin). Without it I'd never venture out as much as I do. The Garmin is what found me 1 Infinity Loop last night when I was in Cupertino. Ahh ... the little things that amuse me.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  15. #35  
    Driven01... Sounds like you have the PERFECT job... Just to be able to try out all the new phones, etc...

    What did you think of my lil synopsis of the 8525 above? Surprised you didn't comment on it. :-)
  16.    #36  
    I liked your summary and I generally agree with it. I'm not going to make a final decision after I play with all three devices. Also: At the end of this week with the Treo 750 I'm going to use the 8525 again to see how the transition goes in the opposite direction. (I want to see what features I've learned to like on the Treo that might be different or missing on the 8525 .. including one handed features.)

    What else did you want to know?

    About the job, yeah I like it. I also work with some really fine people which makes it that much better.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  17. #37  
    As far as the one handed use, the only thing that i see being a problem with that is w/ texting. It's is definitely impossible to text and use the keyboard one handed with the 8525. With my current 700wx, i'll admit i text with it one handed while driving and everything. Not something i'd recommend by any means. That in itself would be a great reason for me to switch to the 8525 so i won't get in a freakin' accident!!! :-)

    No but i would like for someone to post a link for me in order to get the threaded text messages. That's a MUST for me. And would it work the same way as far as creating a new text and the process or would you go directly to the program that allows it and create a text within the program? I hope this makes sense b/c i don't feel as if it does.
  18. #38  
    Thanks - that's an excellent and challenging role. Great stuff ...

    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Well ... hmm ... I'd like to say I'm a spy for a government agency, but I'm not.

    I'm a software consultant / engineer for hire. I work with mobile systems management which means pretty much any device that's not tied to a desk. (PDAs, laptops, tablets, and any "smartphone" type device you can imagine. Palm, Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Mobile, pretty much anything you can think of.) Software deployment, inventory management, custom code solutions, new device provisioning, data security management including "kill-pill" type solutions for lost devices.

    Sorry to be so long winded but my job changes with each assignment so it's never the same. I also do product training on the same systems in North America and Europe. It's fun and never, ever boring. As an added bonus it pays really well. The only downside: I'm home very infrequently.

    Prior to this I was a software engineer with the same company. I wanted more customer interaction. Well ... I got it.

    Where it helps me with TreoCentral is that I get to play with pretty much any device that comes out. So ... if I can make all of YOUR lives a little easier then that's an added bonus.

    Now I'm off to dinner. Good thing for a portable GPS system (Garmin). Without it I'd never venture out as much as I do. The Garmin is what found me 1 Infinity Loop last night when I was in Cupertino. Ahh ... the little things that amuse me.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    As far as the one handed use, the only thing that i see being a problem with that is w/ texting. It's is definitely impossible to text and use the keyboard one handed with the 8525. With my current 700wx, i'll admit i text with it one handed while driving and everything. Not something i'd recommend by any means. That in itself would be a great reason for me to switch to the 8525 so i won't get in a freakin' accident!!! :-)

    No but i would like for someone to post a link for me in order to get the threaded text messages. That's a MUST for me. And would it work the same way as far as creating a new text and the process or would you go directly to the program that allows it and create a text within the program? I hope this makes sense b/c i don't feel as if it does.
    I agree. The 8125 can barely be used one handed and since they're the same from factor, I suspect the same for 8525. But Palm requested that links to the threaded text messaging be taken down. Is it still up somewhere?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    As far as the one handed use, the only thing that i see being a problem with that is w/ texting. It's is definitely impossible to text and use the keyboard one handed with the 8525. With my current 700wx, i'll admit i text with it one handed while driving and everything. Not something i'd recommend by any means. That in itself would be a great reason for me to switch to the 8525 so i won't get in a freakin' accident!!! :-)

    No but i would like for someone to post a link for me in order to get the threaded text messages. That's a MUST for me. And would it work the same way as far as creating a new text and the process or would you go directly to the program that allows it and create a text within the program? I hope this makes sense b/c i don't feel as if it does.
    Texting and e-mail is the big drawbacks on the 8x25 devices. The 8525 has two big advantages over the 8125 due to the windows key and the scroll wheel. (I even miss the scroll wheel on the Treo 750!) But even with the Windows key it's so low on the front of the 8525 that it throws off your balance to push it while walking. There's been more than a few times where I nearly dropped the device.

    I do find myself pulling out the stylus on the 8125 and (to a lesser degree) on the 8525 more often than the Treo. I *nearly* never need to pull it out on the Treo whereas quite a few operations on the 8525 still require me to pull out it's "extensible toothpick".

    Some of the little things on the Treo that I really like:
    - Pressing and holding the OK button to get myself to the task list.
    - The nice big and USABLE soft-keys. On the 8525 I end up taping the screen more than the buttons because it's more responsive.
    - The ability to navigate quickly using the keyboard shortcuts. (WinKey followed by "P" for programs for example."

    I used to like typing on the Treo better, but alas I think my thumbs have finally become used to the wider keyboard on the 8525 and I'm starting to get "thumb cramp" on the Treo. That said: I still hate the 8125 keyboard and it's moronic number key arrangement.

    I'm going to switch back to the 8525 tonight after dinner and use the 8525 tomorrow. (Side note: I've had a lot of crashes on the Treo today and I don't know why. I just missed a phone call because the sound wouldn't play without a soft-reset first. That was the fourth soft reset I needed today.)

    ---

    As for the threaded SMS program.

    I love the implementation on the device. HOWEVER: I want the stock version back because I use Jeyo mobile extender to: Receive and send SMS through Outlook and to backup my SMS messages to my computer. This program doesn't work with the non-standard data-store in the Treo 750's threaded SMS Program. Further I can't revert back to the stock WM5 program on the Treo. I'm looking forward to using this program again.

    The only way I can find to backup the SMS messages on the Treo is to do a full system backup using Sprite backup.

    That brings up my last point: Palm thought enough of their users to include a copy of Sprite backup with the Treo 750. They also make liberal mention of it in their VERY NICE documentation, especially the section on performing a hard reset. It's this customer USABILITY focus that's missing from most of the other devices on the market and it's the main reason that I think Palm will remain in the game for a bit.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions