Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My thinking is along the lines of the following: Cingular, vzw etc. don't hide how much they charge for their service. You can view plans online or in the store or even find out over the phone. They're not hiding the charges from you. Yes, Cing and VZW are more expensive. $40 for data isn't cheap. But most of us are aware of the cost of data when we're deciding if we want to go with it. If you don't want to pay it, you always have the option of going for T-Mobile's slow network, or Sprint's spotty service (at least in my experience). There's a reason why Cingular and VZW can charge more for data, and continue to do so.
    Sprint's been excellent coverage-wise for me [upstate NY]...better than Cingular. Additionally, with the roaming agreement recently struck with Verizon, I get data all over [although I've been on Sprint's native network everywhere I've travelled so far anyways]. Sprint is making a major move with these SERO promotions...I really see them stealing significant market share from Verizon over the next year. Finally, I read a lot of people moaning about Sprint's terrible customer service...this is perplexing to me. They have bent over backward to make sure I was satisfied in every communication I've had with them. So far so good. Granted I am still within my recission period, but it's hard to imagine they would do an about-face, service wise, once I'm locked into my contract...

-EWT

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    My thinking is along the lines of the following: Cingular, vzw etc. don't hide how much they charge for their service. You can view plans online or in the store or even find out over the phone. They're not hiding the charges from you. Yes, Cing and VZW are more expensive. $40 for data isn't cheap. But most of us are aware of the cost of data when we're deciding if we want to go with it. If you don't want to pay it, you always have the option of going for T-Mobile's slow network, or Sprint's spotty service (at least in my experience). There's a reason why Cingular and VZW can charge more for data, and continue to do so.
    It all depends on where you are though and what you expect to do with your device. I know that Sprint TV is available on the Palm 700p and not the 700wx whereas Verizon's VCast TV service isn't available on either the 700p or 700w. Cingular 750 has workarounds for Cingy Video (not sure about the 680 though). That may be one factor that may influence your buying decision of mobile entertainment is up there. In Los Angeles Metro, all carriers are decent, but then again, it varies from different neighborhoods. At the USC Campus, Cingular is probably one of the best carriers there, beating out Verizon (especially in-building use). I can get reception in a basement of the business buildings. Furthermore, you should also consider high speed internet and what that means to you (3G v 2.5G v 2G). TMobile's plans now bundle cellular data with their WiFi access points. If you frequent Starbucks with your laptop, maybe that will be a bonus for you. I know with Cingular, you can "manipulate" the system to enable the regular Media Max 200 plans on smartphones and PDAs--but do so at your own risk as all warnings still apply.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12