Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey, im sorry this may be a little off topic for this forum but i am very desperate and in a bind

let me start with what happend

I have a treo 650 and yesterday i went to look up a number and the contacts program was missing from my programs list. Hmm, that weird i think. Well i go to the phone, and click contacts on the quick buttons (the ones that extend from the bottom of the screen, and when i click it, nothing happens, it only makes the sound.

So im thinking that my contacts are totally gone. I try to add a new contact, and the same deal... the "add new contact" option will not so anything but make the small click as if it were being selected.

So i go to the computer in my house where everything is backed up (my roomates computer, my usb drives arent working right now, so i use his computer for my palm software) well i go there and palm desktop and hotsync manager is missing......I find out that he was trying to "speed up" his computer by uninstalling a bunch of programs.... i know, retarted. he unintalled palm desktop.

So now i have a phone with no contacts (not even a contacts screen) and an uninstalled program on my roomates computer.

1. Why is the whole contacts program/data gone from my phone.

2. Where is there an archive of my contacts (phone/computer)

3. Is there ANYTHING i can do

Please anyone who can help let me know, ill pay you money if you can get my contacts back.
    Don't know why contacts would disappear. . . .

1. Try a SOFT reset on your Treo to see if "Contacts" reappears. (A hard reset would erase your Treo and further complicate matters.) A soft reset is a simple press of the reset button.

2. There is hope . . . if he just "uninstalled" programs . . . you data is not erased in this process, only the program is removed . . . . . .he would have had to actually delete the data directory manually.

3. Check under Programs>Palm>userid -- that should still be there.

4. Re-install the Palm desktop and you should have access.

If he did physically remove the data directory for your userid -- does he back up his computer? -- your data directories could be restored from there.. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/03/2007 at 07:25 PM.
    BTW -- The Treo Central forum does not operate like a chat room window or IM window . . . . you have to hit page refresh to see if there is a new post. . . . a new post does not automatically refresh your screen on TC . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/03/2007 at 10:10 PM.
  4.    #4  
    ok great, i just checked on his computer and all of the information is still backed up.

I think the data is still on the phone, it just wont let me access the contacts program

Ill have to re-install the palm software, hotsync, and then see if they appear, if i still have the problem i will do a hard reset, hotsync, and that should work.

I should do a search on the forum, and im sure i would get results, but my 650 crashes all the time and simply resets, sometimes it will enter a loop until i take the battery out and restart, and sometimes it will even require me to enter the "safe mode" and then turn off and start up.

I dont think it could be a 3rd party app because ive seen it with all different types of programs and information, and it doesnt always occur in the same spot, most of the time it will be when making or reciving a call, sometimes when listening to music in my car through ptunes, or surfing the web. It happens sometimes for a few days straight, and then not for a week. it also doesnt matter with my card inserted (has programs on it also) or not.

sorry for all the reading, just wanted to give you as much info as possible.

Ill enjoy posting in this forum, and if anyone is an online poker player here check out neverbeg.com, its a poker forum i am a long time member of.

thanks in advance

jay.
    You may have a software glitch or a hardware glitch if your Treo is behaving that way. To determine which:

To find out:

Hot sync (if you can) to back up.
    Hard reset.
    Run this way for a day, without Hotsyncing. Does the Treo still reset, crash or drain the battery?

IF Yes = hardware problem and the unit should be replaced.

If no, let's see how far we get with a clean install:

Ignore this step: (1. Install the Treo 650 Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 650 conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back. PIM data is Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Memos, the basic Palm applications. Run this way for a day.

Did this cure the problem? If so, continue on. If the problem starts after a particular 3rd party software has been installed -- you will have found the culprit. If you get everything installed and the glitch is gone -- Great!

Install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 one at a time -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

You should be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/07/2007 at 04:19 PM.
  6.    #6  
    AHHHHHHHHH

Ok now that thats out of the way heres whats going on now.

I reinstalled the palm software, and all contacts are still there so I do a sync, and i choose to only sync the contacts, memos, tasks and that stuff. Contacts is still missing from the applications page, same deal.

So I try a hard reset, and contacts still cannot be opened, when i look in the application area its gone, and when i click it from my favorite buttons, nothing happens.

This is making me pull my hair out.
    Sorry Jay,

If you have a Treo that will not show or activate the contacts application -- even after a hard reset -- I'm afraid you have a sick Treo.

Contacts is a ROM application -- if you cannot activate it -- your ROM is half a bubble off plumb.

You need to talk to your carrier about a replacement. . . .

Sorry.
  8.    #8  
    oh man, that sucks

is there any sort of third party program that can orgainze my contacts? i bet it wouldnt really interface and work with the call log, recent calls, add contact features right?

i guess ill have to get a replacement, but this 650 i am on currently is like my 4th refurb, im thinking about *****ing enough to support and demand a new phone, if i can get them to give me a 700, should i get the palm or windows version?
  9.    #9  
    also, what about a firmware update..... or if theres no new update can i just reinstall the old firmware update? i wouldnt know how to do that but i remember doing it once before

thanks for all the help

jay
    The firmware update may be a way to go -- but the process may burp and tell you that you already have the most current version installed. . . . .

Now, if you are not on the most current version for that carrier . . . you may be in luck.

As far as MS5 vs. Palm Treo's . . . . .
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...18#post1188018
    What if someone could use Filez to make a copy of their Addressbook.prc and send that to you? Then you should be able to install that (place on an SD card and then use Filez to copy to your Treo's main memory, then soft-reset) giving you a new install of the Contacts program only. Your Treo should automatically use the non-ROM version instead of the ROM version and bob's your uncle!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    It's almost like the launchable attribute for contacts has been unchecked somehow. Have anything like Filez on there where you could search and see?
    Good Points!

FileZ (if you don not have it, is a freeware file manager for the PalmOS):
    www.nosleep.net
    click on download
    select FileZ
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    What if someone could use Filez to make a copy of their Addressbook.prc and send that to you? Then you should be able to install that (place on an SD card and then use Filez to copy to your Treo's main memory, then soft-reset) giving you a new install of the Contacts program only. Your Treo should automatically use the non-ROM version instead of the ROM version and bob's your uncle!
    im downloading and installing filez now, to see about the launchable file or whatnot, but i think this would be a good backup plan if someone could post or link me to that file.
    I just sold my 650 -- who has the 650 addressbook.prc -- anybody?

What carrier Jay? I am not sure that one from the same carrier Treo is necessary -- but you never know. . . .
  16.    #16  
    ok i have installed filez, and in the internal memory i see two "addressbook" files... this is what i see

addressBook (picture of chip and text is in red, 3.7k)
    addressBook_enUS

when i click details on the above files the attributes have Read Only Hidden and ResourceDB checked and nothing else
  17.    #17  
    I have sprint as a carrier, i want to solve this problem so badly
    I will send you my Sprint Treo 700P files . . . . . . . not sure this would be a good thing. . . .

Send me your email via a Private message. . . click on my name and select that option . . . .
  19.    #19  
    sorry about the numerous short posts...

When i did a hotsync earlier, it gave me a confusing error message in the log.

here it is

OK Quick Install
    OK VersaMail
    OK Memos
    -- Address Book
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 0, Handheld = 224
    Address Book synchronization failed

OK Calendar
    OK Tasks

and as far as putting that file on my phone, its already there i think, should i copy it to the card, delete it from the phone and copy it back to the phone?
    that sounds a little risky and mat cause more probs
  20.    #20  
    Another update, in Filez when i select the address book, select details, and then back out by presing save i get this

Error:dm:ROMBasedinupdatefile()I(AddressBook)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast