Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do pictures of scantily clad women belong in gadget blogs? Andrew posted some examples of magazine websites on a Treo, and he used the magazine FHM and a picture of a girl in a bikini. The comments are of mixed reaction. Aren't most Treo users men?
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I don't think it's that big a deal, i probably wouldn't have done it myself, but it's still his blog.

I think I saw someone post that it wasn't conducive to viewing in a business environment, I guess if someone really wanted to be an a$$ they could ask what he's doing looking at a Treo blog when he should be working? But we all know that nobody works 100% of the time when they're at work anyway (unless it's THEIR business, hehe).

I actually found the comic viewing bit more interesting. Comic reading on a 320x320 screen, what a concept.

Btw John22s, this is hiliarous:
    "Those who are offended by "prudish" images are usually not found attractive by the attractive people they wish they could attract. I feel their frustration, but find it to be rather ignoble. If my boss were offended by images such as these, I would slap his face."
    Who really cares? I don't, its not going to affect my Treo at all.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by John22s View Post
    Do pictures of scantily clad women belong in gadget blogs? Andrew posted some examples of magazine websites on a Treo, and he used the magazine FHM and a picture of a girl in a bikini. The comments are of mixed reaction. Aren't most Treo users men?
    It's mobi content. Perfectly appropriate.
    Clearly our society sees nothing wrong with woman in bikini's, else we would not let people wear it in a public place like the beach. How's a blog different?

Surur
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What's all the fuss? Very very mild images - it's not like it's someone having a golden shower or anything.

thanx for the heads up.

i only read the rss feed, and "peroz some free treo content" didnt grab me so id idnt do to the page and read the entry.

now thanks to you, I now went to the site and saw the pics. would of missed it other wise.

btw, he had an enty a while back with more adult content on it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    lol Have u watched tv recently, been to the movies, looked at any magazine, been to the beach? The way you are talkin sounds like you are suprised. In this time we live in, not much suprises me any more.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those pictures. They are representative of the magazines covered by the website and the intent of the article was not sexist in anyway. Honestly, until I saw this post, I didn't even give it a second thought.
    Aren't most Treo users men?
    This statement is exactly what those who took issue with the images are complaining about.

It makes no difference whether or not *most* Treo users are men. Women buy, use, and read about Treos and other technology, too, and one would think that one could do so without encountering the use of images that depict women as mere sex objects.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
    This statement is exactly what those who took issue with the images are complaining about.

It makes no difference whether or not *most* Treo users are men. Women buy, use, and read about Treos and other technology, too, and one would think that one could do so without encountering the use of images that depict women as mere sex objects.
    What about lesbians?
    Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
    Women buy, use, and read about Treos and other technology, too, and one would think that one could do so without encountering the use of images that depict women as mere sex objects.
    I guess they should have had the women pose with Treo's also, that would mark them out as sex objects AND geeks.

Surur
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I think this proves my point that some people are offended WAY TOO EASILY!
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    What?! Women aren't sex objects?! blasphemy!
    The horror...
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Is not like any of them are professional. I only give howardforums (and this forum) half a damn.
    What does HoFo (and TC) need to rate a full damn? Or for that matter, what do we have to do in order to rate a 'Hot damn!'

I know. Pictures.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Can I get a hot damn?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Hot Damn!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I just checked out the pics. I quickly was disappointed and bored. You call that scandalous? Scandalous is reading front page headlines that Mayor Newsom of San Francisco was just discovered having an affair awhile back with someone affiliated in his office. The pics I saw does not even remotely resemble anything "scandalous". At least put some "Playboy" or "Hustler" type pics, and then we can say these pics are hot and sexist! Or as someone may have already pointed out, at least have the girl pose with a Treo to make the picture more relevant to the blog.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I can post some "scandalous" pics!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast