1. rsa
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Be kind, I've been searching and searching for the answer to this question and haven't found anything.

Does the Treo 700P have Graffiti?

I've talked to two cell phone reps, one from Verizon and one from Sprint, they both use 700p and both of them gave me a blank stare when I asked them the question. Which makes me fear that there is no hand writing recognition on the Treo.

Say it isn't so and that it simply called something else these days. I've been using Palms since the first model 500 came out. I know that they changed some of the character strokes on the Tx that I'm using, which makes it a pain when switching back and forth between my Vx and Tx. But I looked at the Sprint guy's 700P and couldn't see where the Graffiti pad was. I assumed that it is a pop up like on the Tx, if it has it, but I couldn't find anything.

I scanned the Palm web site and didn't see anything about handwriting recon. on the 700P either.

I've been trying to get up the nerve to swallow $400 on a new 700P but don't want to lose Graffiti or whatever it now called.

Thanks for any enlightenment.
    Use the advanced search function to search on titles rather than posts, you will be less likely to be overwhelmed. Welcome to TreoCentral RSA!

Graffitti Title Search
    Last edited by copernicus; 02/02/2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Error in URL
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Welcome! Your first mistake was asking a phone "rep" anything about a Treo, unless you just needed to know how to turn it on. These forums are your best bet for info. On my 600 I had GraffitiAnywhere http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...anywhere.shtml and it worked well, but i eventually was won over by the keyboard. This shows it works with the 680...and it's FREE!!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by RSA View Post
    Does the Treo 700P have Graffiti?
    To answer your question directly, the 700p does not have a grafitti input area like on the older Palms. As a previous poster answered, you can install a program named "grafitti anywhere" and your graphics display area will double as a grafitti input area. (There is a slight delay to distinguish a stylus tap from a grafitti mark.) Don't worry, Grafitti is still part of the Palm OS, they just did away with the input area when they added the keyboard. I've had a 300,600, and now a 700p. (The 700p is the first phone I haven't bothered to use grafitti on, since the keyboard on this phone is so good. I hated the 600 keyboard.)

I'd also like to resopond to your comment about how grafitti has changed from your original palm vs your TX. They call this "Grafitti 1" and "Grafitti 2" respectively. A long time ago, there used to be a download on MyTreo,net that gave you back Grafitti 1. I suspect it was taken down because it was illegal for them to distribute this. I believe you can copy a PRC from ROM on your old Palm and put it in RAM on your TX and upcoming 700p so you can use the old grafitti strokes on all your devices. (I don't remember the name of the prc.)

Keep in mind, I've never installed Grafitti Anywhere on my 700p, but I believe it should work.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by RSA View Post
    I've been trying to get up the nerve to swallow $400 on a new 700P but don't want to lose Graffiti or whatever it now called.
    Not an answer to your question, but I don't think that Grafitti should be a big factor in your decision to get a 700p. As several have already intimated, that facility that you regard as essential becomes a lot less so once you have the keyboard. (and FieldPlus) At least that was my experience.
    There was some sort of a settlement, a few months ago (several million, but I really don't remember well) between Palm and a graffiti like company (the owners of Graffiti?) so I wouldn't take it as a given that Graffiti is gone forever as part of the OS. Perhaps there is someone who knows more of the details. I, for one, would like to see it come back (but am by no means counting on it).
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Graffiti 2 is built into the 700p. Palm just doesn't give you any way to access it.

There are free programs available, and there are pay programs available which can access the Graffiti 2 built into the OS. Also, some of these programs allow you to define custom strokes to overwrite the ones you can't get used to in ROM.

There is also a way to copy Graffiti 1 back onto the device and use it with many of those programs instead. Graffiti 1 was easier to use, but through legal actions, Palm was forced to 'upgrade' us to version 2. Version 2 requires extra strokes for several characters.

I use Jot by CIC on my 700p. I'm not sure if CIC still supports or even sells it any longer. But it works best for me. I never really liked my Treo 650 mainly because Jot used to crash Blazer and the Address Book on the 650. But for some reason it seems very stable on the 700p.
    I didn't know it was already in there! It would be nice if Palm modified it a bit so that it could be used almost anywhere like Jot. I guess it's a question of if the settlement allows it. IMHO it's a mistake if they let it go. It could serve as a bridge to the next thing and definitely still has it's most efficient uses. And, I have never had a screen fail on me because of Graffiti or Jot. The device is capable of taking a lot of stress in the screen area.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    There was some sort of a settlement, a few months ago (several million, but I really don't remember well) between Palm and a graffiti like company (the owners of Graffiti?) so I wouldn't take it as a given that Graffiti is gone forever as part of the OS. Perhaps there is someone who knows more of the details. I, for one, would like to see it come back (but am by no means counting on it).
    I believe there was a suit from PARC on patent infringment of a method of using one stroke actions for two-stroke letters (such as "t"). This is why Palm had to switch from Grafitti 1 to Grafitti 2.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I didn't know it was already in there! It would be nice if Palm modified it a bit so that it could be used almost anywhere like Jot. I guess it's a question of if the settlement allows it. IMHO it's a mistake if they let it go. It could serve as a bridge to the next thing and definitely still has it's most efficient uses. And, I have never had a screen fail on me because of Graffiti or Jot. The device is capable of taking a lot of stress in the screen area.
    Yep, it's in there. A free program like Graffiti Anywhere is just accessing what is already in the OS.

I think Jot accesses the Graffiti 2 in the OS, as well, but gives you the option to replace some of the 2 stroke characters with 1 stroke versions.

Not that I believe this for a second, but Palm's old excuse for not giving us a way to access Graffiti on the Treo was because it had such a good keyboard. But they never removed it from the OS because they still made devices that didn't have keyboards.

By killing off the Life Drive, I hope they don't now kill off Graffiti from the next OS...

Can't even tell you how happy I am that Jot works better on my 700p than it did on my 650! I use the keyboard, too. But I'm much faster with graffiti.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I use and absolutely love "MobileWrite". I'm lightning fast with it. I had to have some form of Graffiti since I became used to it way back with my Tungsten.

I think I that free program mentioned but can't remember why I didn't like it.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    I use and absolutely love "MobileWrite". I'm lightning fast with it. I had to have some form of Graffiti since I became used to it way back with my Tungsten.

I think I that free program mentioned but can't remember why I didn't like it.
    I get Graffiti Anywhere, TealScript, MobileWrite and MWrite (or are they the same?) confused. But I found something to dislike about them all. Not that I can recall much specifically now. Except...

Not sure which of those it was, but I really liked one of them. However, it had a huge problem switching into punctuation mode. It required a backslash stroke followed by a period to activate that mode. But it would literally only toggle for me once in 30 trys! Yet people still swore by it.

Jot treats most punctuation like a single stroke, so no problem there.
  13. rsa
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    copernicus

Thanks for the help with the search function. I couldn't find a thing about Graffiti with the basic search function and you found me a ton of stuff. I'll have to play around more with the advanced search function in the future.

To all the rest of you guys thanks a million for all your input also. I'm seeing the short end of 60 coming my way and I guess it's getting harder and harder to change. I'm sure that I could get used to using a "mini" keyboard and I may be wrong but I'd think that Graffiti would be much less stressful on my hands then trying to input the same among of text with a "mini" keyboard and just my thumbs. Is there such a thing as "carpal tunnel syndrome" for thumbs?

Again thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question, you've all been very helpful.

Roy