Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im wondering what all the hype and controversy is about launchers?

I dont necessarily want this post or thread to turn into this one vs that one. There are dozens of those threads around.

My question is what do they do and what benefit do they provide. What should I look for if and when I pick one?

Thanks guys!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I will start you off on some capabilities to compare..

• access to programs on the SD card.
    • short cuts to execution
    • size of the .prc
    • handling of categories
    • changing wallpaper
    • other data displayed eg battery, signal etc
    • format of the display
    As mentioned above but with a bit more detail - the ability to MOVE an entire application to the launcher's application folder, launch it from there and upon termination, move it back to the launch folder. This saves memory and can ultimately save you a few megs that can be better put to use. The down side of a third party launcher often is launch times; however, the benefits of saved space and often the ability to customize as little or as much makes it worth it.

ZLauncher is the big dude on the block, handles multiple creator IDs, file/card management, view customization, a quick launch feature, et cetera. Other ones to look at are Initiate and LauncherX and bunches of others.

Another category of launchers to look at are "Windows" style launchers. I use ZLauncher in conjunction with Launch-Anywhere (also by ZZTechs) and enjoy the convenience both applications have to offer.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I will start you off on some capabilities to compare..

• access to programs on the SD card.
    • short cuts to execution
    • size of the .prc
    • handling of categories
    • changing wallpaper
    • other data displayed eg battery, signal etc
    • format of the display
    Good way of explaining it, Makes even more sense now that you pointed it out like that..
  5.    #5  
    are there any freeware/shareware launchers out there that anyone has heard of?
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    are there any freeware/shareware launchers out there that anyone has heard of?
    Try http://palmgadget.com/lnchr.html
    There's an 800 reply thread on TC about it.
  7.    #7  
    thanks!
    There is no spoon.
    The ability to put apps on the card in categories is a huge draw. Without an add-on launcher, they all get lumped into the "Card" category, and every time you select that category, the stock Palm launcher scans the card. Launchers will usually cache the list (and allow manual refreshing if you install something, or automatically refresh after HotSync), so you won't get the big delay.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Then there's PowerRun which doesn't change the look or feel of your device, but simply lets you move and lauch program from the SD card and control memory. Very little memory footprint on its own and everything else stays the same. It gets my vote!

Eyedeas
    Sure, there are BUNCHES of those too and ZLinks provides that ability. However, may of us use our devices a whole lot (hours a day for me) and having it set up as a "personal" thing is nice. Pictures of the kids, the ocean, whatever, having it setup to conveniently get around, those are things that third party launchers excel at. My Treo 700p has both ZLauncher and Launch-Anywhere installed and both are set up to allow me to access applications in different ways to fit what I am doing. Duplication? sure, but getting around my device is super easy.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise View Post
    The ability to put apps on the card in categories is a huge draw. Without an add-on launcher, they all get lumped into the "Card" category,
    Hdhntr23, this is really the only reason I use a launcher. (It was very important with the 650, not so much of a necessity with the 700.) And, like eyedeas, I went with PowerRun.
    And that was the initial reason I started using a simple launcher and then as my needs started increasing a search was started. Before settling on ZLauncher I had tried all of those that I read about and to this day it is still the leader of the pack. The ultimate issue to address though are: ability to launch effectively. Find one that suits you and you are comfy with, then good. Do not though overlook one like ZLauncher.

Ben
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    - Too much screen clutter
    - Slower going from menu to menu and app to app.

But what do I know...my last treo was a 650. Things may be different now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas View Post
    Then there's PowerRun which doesn't change the look or feel of your device, but simply lets you move and lauch program from the SD card and control memory. Very little memory footprint on its own and everything else stays the same. It gets my vote!

Eyedeas
    I agree. I've had PDAs since the Palm V was released, and used launchers since the original Launcher X was released - and tried just about all of the major apps at one time or another.

I'm back to the native launcher together with PowerRun. At the end of the day, it's mostly what you get used to.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Does McPhling qualify as a "launcher"

I use several of Mike's apps (have for years). McPhling and the hard keys meet all of my regular access needs. For the outlyers, I just go to the Home screen.
    Every time I turned around with power run it ended up corrupting my data using a 4GB SD card on a Treo 650 and in some cases it sent my device into a continuous loop. So I don’t use any launchers Other than DataViz tool for docks to go and as it just so happens Docks to go is the only application that continues to give me headaches.
    Sounds like a good reason to dump it, you know, if you use the only one that still gives you problems. Did I not read this correctly?
    another couple of reasons for a launcher (if it is Initiate!)

-find contacts and call/sms/email
    -find memos and open them
    -find music and play track
    -find .doc .pdf .xls etc and open them

Initiate aims to be the smartphone launcher as opposed to a simple launcher. This means it helps you launch all the things you do on your smartphone (which is a lot more than just running apps)

As there is a huge ammount for it to do, it needs a really powerful search.
    Initaite uses type-to-search which lets you typ 'fil' to find Filez
    for even faster searching, you can turn on 'smart-search' and then type 'fz' for filez or 'cfv' for Confused Vorlon

of course - I am biased.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    another tip;
    for much of my application launching, I use Butler
    I just press and hold a key and the app launches
    y for Yaps
    f for Filez
    c for Calc
    j for butler (Jeeves)
    etc.