Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to point out that to the best of my USPTO searching, Palm does not own the trademark Sherlock, so it is likely that the name Sherlock is a codename along the lines of Hollywood, Lowrider, etc.

I'd also like to point out an active trademark that Palm holds, Foleo (Serial #78555579). I'll quote the summary and highlight some portions that could indicate that this is related to the "secret third business":

Apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; computer hardware and peripherals and manuals sold therewith; computer hardware and embedded software for use in accessing storing, managing, synchronizing, transferring, transporting and sharing digital information and files over the global communications network and other networksand/or between computers, electronic organizers, electronic notepads, mobile telephones and pagers, PIMs, PDAs and mobile computing and communications devices; computer laptops and mobile computers; computer monitors; computer keyboards; computer software for use in accessing, storing, managing, synchronizing, transferring, transporting and sharing music, photos, videos, address books, calendars, e-mail, PIM data, PDA data, office and personal documents, streamed and multimedia information and files over the global communications network and other networks and/or between computers, electronic organizers, mobile telephones and pagers, PIMs, PDAs and mobile computing and communications devices; computer software for synchronization of data, information and files, for mobile communications and computing, for personal information management, database management and synchronization, for character recognition, and for secure data access, storage and transfer; computer software for web publishing, providing alerts to various informational and environmental conditions, for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, for data and file backup and storage, and for duplicate file management across multiple devices; telephony management software; electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, and manuals provided therewith
    1. "storing, managing, synchronizing, transferring, transporting and sharing digital information and files over the global communications network and other networks" and "streamed and multimedia information and files over the global communications network and other networks" indicate that this trademark is related to devices and services that use global and other communications networks, fitting in with Hawkins' and Colligan's statements about the implications of having a broadband connection in your pocket and delivering compelling services to Palm's users over such a connection.

2. "providing alerts to various informational and environmental conditions" - More services, but this also hints at possible context and locations based services providing alerts.

Foleo, is a play on the word folio:

A large sheet of paper folded once in the middle, making two leaves or four pages of a book or manuscript.
    A book or manuscript of the largest common size, usually about 38 centimeters (15 inches) in height, consisting of such folded sheets.
    A leaf of a book numbered only on the front side.
    A number on such a leaf.
    A page number.
    Accounting. A page in a ledger or two facing pages that are assigned a single number.
    Law. A specific number of words used as a unit for measuring the length of the text of a document.

Emphasis mine.

I'd submit that the way Foleo is spelled, similar to Treo (both ending with eo), fits in with Palm's branding and product naming. This name could hint at the device's capabililties, size, and form factor. A folio suggests a book or manuscript that folds. Palm has these two patents on folding devices and displays:

Compact palmtop computer system and wireless telephone with foldable dual-sided display

Non-rigid mounting of a foldable display

What could this all add up to?

1. A folding device with multiple displays (two or more).

2. Used as a "folio"; a book, notepad, manuscript, diary, journal, encyclopedia, etc.

3. Wireless services for storage, syncing, streaming of data across the web and multiple devices, including secure data storage and access, and streaming multimedia.

4. Context and location aware services with alert notifications.

5. Services for searching and accessing online databases.

This would be an information-centric device. But with wireless connectivity (WiFi, 3G), it could also be a communications device (VoWLAN hybrid?) and a pretty decent entertainment device with a good sized screen (streaming multimedia).

I'd also add that this sounds a bit like Michael Mace's Info Pad concept, and he has been making a case for a more information-centric device.

Brian
    that's quite a well thought out presentation.

Time will tell.
    Nice,but I suspect a book-like device is too big to carry by the mass market, no matter how useful it is. On the other hand the Nintendo DS has taken of hugely, which provide a counterpoint to this criticism.

Surur
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So it's a nokia 770?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Also they've owned that name since late 2004 (I think) - so likely they will release something in 2020 when everyone else has moved on.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    that's quite a well thought out presentation.

Time will tell.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Nice,but I suspect a book-like device is too big to carry by the mass market, no matter how useful it is. On the other hand the Nintendo DS has taken of hugely, which provide a counterpoint to this criticism.

Surur
    I don't necessarily think that it indicates size, but that it folds like a book and will allow for a larger form factor when open, and a relatively small, pocketable size when folded (see attachment).

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ballistic; 01/28/2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Attach patent drawing
    The PPR would have to open up and host a nationwide party !!

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Nintendo has sold 30 millions DS in the first two years of its launch, very compatible to GameBoy Advance's number in its first two years, at a silghtly higher price. So it's basically continue on the success of its predecessor. And nobody uses it as a PDA, except the crazy Japanese.

I think this "hawking device" is a bad idea, no matter what it's called when it comes out. Folding screen? That means its not a good media player Large size? That market for UMPC-sized is very small as it is; without a windows OS, it has no chance to survive. And Palm is not in a position to negociate cheap solid state or tiny HDD with Samsung or Toshiba.

I think Palm should just shut up and make a more high tech version of Treo for the pro users.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Thanks!

I don't necessarily think that it indicates size, but that it folds like a book and will allow for a larger form factor when open, and a relatively small, pocketable size when folded (see attachment).

Brian
    While a novel idea, looks as (un)usable as the iPhone as far as text input goes, and easier to break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    The PPR would have to open up and host a nationwide party !!

The PPR... I don't think it's big enough though...
    Hawkins has always emphasized pocketability. If the Foleo is next (and the argument is not without merit), I don't think it will be a brick.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Woo great research... It should make the headings of Engadget or anything like that.

Al
    Excellent research.

I'm not so sure about that specific form factor in the patents. Those patents were filed 6 years ago, and I don't think even Palm is that slow. It seems more likely that this was an alternate model once considered for the Treo.

That said, I think I do believe the Foleo name, and that that implies some kind of folding form factor. I hope it has a keyboard inside; I'd be willing to sacrifice a little screen space for a keyboard.

As for the new "line of business," it's gotta do something that the Treo can't do. If you're just going to add WiFi or gps or more storage, it's more of a deluxe Treo. You need to appeal to a new market...
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I have to admit I have a growing suspicion that we really are looking at the rough blueprints to Hawkins` mystery device - the next big thing.

I also noted the date of the patent submission - around 2001, which made me initially think this was just a scrapped idea. Then I began to wonder if its possible that palm planned to have their incremental upgrades provide the necessary capital to fund THIS next step in innovation.

This foldable design was probably conceived before "foldable display" technology was even possible. Were they waiting for the availability of such technology as well as lowered costs to implement it? Who knows. Time will tell, but if they execute the way they need to, we could be looking at a device which might be what the treo 600 was to the treo 300 - a total hardware overhaul. Palm is LONG overdue.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I remember watching a Palm presentation a while back, I think it was right after the sept 2005 announcment of the Windows Treo 700.

In it Jeff Hawkins was asked about the new device and I remember him kinda joking with his answer saying something like Oh yea, you mean something with a fold up screen?
    Actually, that was filed in 2001, and approved in 2006.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    just looks like a foldup keyboard, nothing exciting
    Wow! They copyrighted/patened part #1701, the human fingernail!

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Wow! They copyrighted/patened part #1701, the human fingernail!

They are saving it to countersue Blackberry/NTP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast