Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seriously, I think a roll-up, foldable screen or keyboard is just a matter of doing something that seems cool because you can, but is not really practical.
    If you have to unroll all that, and find a hard surface to lay it on, it would be better to make a clamshell device to get a bigger screen and/or keyboard in the device. Even an existing firm, foldable keyboard with a built-in palm would be better than the roll-up thing.

Just give us a clamshell for bigger screen and KB space, or some other form factor like the enV or something if you want to go that route.

I still prefer the candybar form factor we have now, though.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Seriously, I think a roll-up, foldable screen or keyboard is just a matter of doing something that seems cool because you can, but is not really practical.
    I don't see Hawkins dropping an impractical device. I think the dual screen clamshell is closer to the truth. But where will the keyboard end up?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    It appears the release date for this device with Sprint is currently set for June:

Sprint Release Chart for 1st & 2nd Q: http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...07-roadmap.jpg

Full Story.....Hands-on with Sprint's 1H '07 roadmap?

EDIT: Sorry....been mostly away from the forums this last week and didn't realize it was already posted in another thread.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/01/2007 at 12:45 AM.
  4.    #24  
    I just went back an re-listened to the audio from the Palm Analyst Day. Peter Skillman, Director of New Product Development said the following during a section of his presentation titled "What's the foundation of Palm's next disruptive idea?":

When we talk about mobile computing, most people still think about a laptop. But we know that mobile computing is really something that goes in your hand, and that the next thing, the sort of next platform or category of products that we may create will be perhaps some combination of these two because there's an incredible need, set of needs that aren't being met by the existing products. And so if you look at those needs and focus on the customer experience, that's how you can continue to deliver value to your customers year after year.
    Emphasis is mine.

He also said that this next disruptive idea will put the customer at the center of power, control, and freedom.

So, what's "some combination" of something that goes in your hand and a laptop?

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ballistic; 01/31/2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: slides
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post

Emphasis is mine.

He also said that this next disruptive idea will put the customer at the center of power, control, and freedom.

So, what's "some combination" of something that goes in your hand and a laptop?

Brian

I think you are on to something, keep up the good work.

PS Where did you get those slides?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Think is - with that release date - if we were seeing something really new - I would have expected someone to have got a whisper of it's form factor.
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I wonder, would this thing fit in between the smartphone and the umpc?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    I wonder, would this thing fit in between the smartphone and the umpc?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/news/tmobileameo.JPG

Surur
  9.    #29  
    Some more interesting hints regarding future products, software and web services, this time from Ed Colligan at Palm F2Q07 (Qtr End 12/1/06) Earnings Call Transcript:

Charlie Wolf - Needham & Co.

Let me follow-up on this differentiation issue. As I understand it, this perpetual license with ACCESS allows you to modify Garnet in virtually any way you want. I am curious as to how you plan to make the Palm OS on the Treo even easier to use.

Edward T. Colligan

Well, as you can imagine, that is a big task, since it is already easy to use among most people’s set of assumptions. But we have some ideas to do that, and in particular around the experience on the Internet. We think there is a big opportunity there. We think there is a big opportunity in the out-of-box experience, so there are different areas where we can make an impact there.

In addition to that, there is a whole new range of applications that will be coming down the pipeline that we hope to enable in compelling ways. It is really the vast majority of the effort behind the licensing effort that we did was one, we thought it was a great financial transaction. We were going to pay royalties anyway, so this essentially is an up-front payment to eliminate that and we feel like it was a strong financial transaction, but in addition, it gave us a lot of flexibility, a lot of control over our future so that we felt comfortable investing in that operating system, that area of investment to drive the best end user solution we possibly can. This gives us that flexibility.

We think in the end it was a strategic deal for us and also a strong financial deal too.
    Jonathan Goldberg - Deutsche Bank

Hi, thanks for taking my call. A couple of questions. Looking forward, I know you do not want to talk about numbers of new products, but are you looking also at new services or new software, something sort of novel that is really going to cement a competitive advantage?

Edward T. Colligan

Well, absolutely. Of course we are looking at how we can really differentiate in the marketplace. A big part of that is somehow coming up with a set of functionality, services, software application functionality that people say wow, I have to have that, and that makes my use of these products easier and more effective, and it is clearly from Palm.

Those are the kinds of things that excite us here. It is what really has driven our innovation history and it is what we are going to do. We have not exposed everything because it is a very competitive marketplace. It is something that we have to hold our cards pretty close to our vest, but it is part of why we are spending the money we are spending on R&D, is because we hope to develop some things that will really drive our differentiation and then drive the value of the company and the profits we can generate.
    Edward T. Colligan

Oh boy, we do not get into that level of detail on the product mix. I am sorry, but I am not going to be able to provide that to you. Certainly our goal is to continue to expand our prosumer small and medium business efforts. That will drive us towards those lower price point devices, we believe, but that is just my gut at this point. Also, our new developments are in areas where we are going to add on the high end and the low end of our product line. We are going to add products with more capabilities, the Mercedes of our line, certainly will be things we will be working on. We are also going to add products that have more focused functionality that we hope will appeal to more kind of crossover consumers. Take people who are interested in feature phones and move them into smartphones.
    Emphasis in bold is mine.

Takeaway:

1. A set of server side services, software, and application functionality (delivered to the user's pocket over that wireless broadband connection) that puts the user "at the center of power, control, and freedom". Leverage the internet and "Web 2.0" services.

2. A high end prosumer "Mercedes" device that is a "some combination" of something that goes in your hand and a laptop

Brian
    i have heard from a source that the next treo will be based on PalmOS and be 3.5G.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    i have heard from a source that the next treo will be based on PalmOS and be 3.5G.
    CDMA or GSM?

I want PalmOS and 3.5G on GSM.

And wifi.

And a pony.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post

There is no more PalmOS.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    There is no more PalmOS.
    Sure there is, or soon will be.

Brian
    I am very intrigued by this thread. I enlarged and attached the slide posted by ballistic. If this is the Treo Foleo, it looks like a pre-Treo 680/750 (note: antennae), but the screen and keyboard layout look slightly different. The screen looks more like a 320 x 240 screen. Or is this simply a picture of a Treo 650/700?

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

Brian

That article consists of 'honest guv... something great will happen shortly.. honest!" - I've been hearing about the next gen Palm OS being around the corner since about 1999 - I guess one day it might happen..
  16. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    CDMA or GSM?

I want PalmOS and 3.5G on GSM.

And wifi.

And a pony.
    I think the pony would be an essential app, if they don't include it they might as well just close up shop.

Brian
    I want to be polite but...*rolling on the floor laughing*

There you have it.
    double post
    Last edited by whatever7; 02/01/2007 at 02:31 PM.
    Possibly related to the new Palm device.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=US...AJ&dq=palm+inc
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Possibly related to the new Palm device.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=US...AJ&dq=palm+inc
    this is close to what Palm said about new device. So people any ideas of what OS we expect it to run?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast