Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070125/20070125005650.html?.v=1

Palm Brings Microsoft's Direct Push Technology to Palm OS Based Treo Smartphones
    --
    Thursday January 25, 10:54 am ET
    Treo 680 and Treo 700p Smartphones Now Offer Businesses Automatic Updates of Email, Calendar and Contacts with Enhanced Security and Manageability
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Not to shabby...but I'm happy with Chatter still
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I'll be avoiding this like plague:

"Offers security and central management - Security features for IT administrators include over-the-air password policy enforcement and remote wipe for lost or stolen devices."

Chatter+Ex Plugin is good enough for me!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Could be huge for Corporate palm users who has an IT department that only supports direct push.

Weird though, it says "not available for Cingular".
  5.    #5  
    Start creating your mail2web accounts now, lol. Hosted exchange is the bomb. Then on Monday, you go here: http://www.palm.com/easdownload

In any case, it's a pretty good & free (finally) push alternative to Chatter. Plus Contacts/Calendar sync. That is weird, the Cingular restriction, considering they mention the 680 all over the place on the press release.
    Hmmm... Wonder if it will sync the calendar as well as email?

edit: Never mind - it looks like it will!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Start creating your mail2web accounts now, lol. Hosted exchange is the bomb. Then on Monday, you go here: http://www.palm.com/easdownload
    I created an account, but I can't figure out which service I need (for Push Exchange). Will the free " mail2web Live" suffice or do I need to buy a different service?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I'm a Mac user anyway, so I'm sticking with Chatter for email. There's no way I'm installing Versamail again either. Boo Versamail, Hoo-raaaay chatter.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    I created an account, but I can't figure out which service I need (for Push Exchange). Will the free " mail2web Live" suffice or do I need to buy a different service?
    Mail2web live is enough. However, when you send mail you'll send as username@mail2web.com.

A very reasonable option is the personal account @ $2.00 a month. It allows you to send as whatever plus I believe you can use it on regular Outlook 2003 on your desktop as well, which is a very nice benefit.
    Im also wondering about the Cingular restriction. How is Cingular going to stop this, it uses normal http ports.
    allow me to the first to say oh hell yes!

Now comes the big choice... Treo 700p or wait and see wtf the Palm Sherlock is.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I wonder why it wouldn't work on a 650. Isn't it the same version of VersaMail 3.5?
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Carrot- Carrot 680- users-grab it, run, you can get it....

Oh wait you have Cingy, not so fast there
    I thought(in US at least)T680 and Cingular were the same word.

Oh well, Guess there's BB connect
    Do everything you wanna do in life, if it's something you'll regret in the morning...Sleep Late!
    A friend at work uses Activesync on his 700wx. The Exchange administrators push all kinds of password requirements (like making him enter the password everytime the Treo wakes up!). It's driving him CRAZY!

I am so thankful of Chatter+Ex plugin (even though I don't have push because I am using the Cingular MediaNet).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    As a user of both a Treo 750 and 680, I have a hard time understanding the demonization of ActiveSync/push on Windows Mobile and the lionization of its nearest Palm-based facsimile, Chatter.

I have used the Windows push feature on my Pocket PC devices, and it has been nothing but a pleasant experience -- especially given that I'm a Mac user and that syncing is still an imperfect exercise even when using Missing Sync. With ActiveSync, I needn't worry about whether my Treo or Mac will freeze or act up during a USB sync -- it just does it wirelessly and instantly.

Chatter, on the hand, I found to be a battery-draining resource hog that tended to slow down the Treo overall, and it had a cluttered and less appealing UI than it's much-maligned alternative, VersaMail. Though it's a good product, it reflects that it's written by a small company that (understandably) lacks the resources to make it as polished as it could be and should be.

Not all Exchange admins foce password requirements and the like. Overall, I find the wireless sync aspect of Windows Mobile to be very Blackberry-esque, and something that a Palm-based alternative should aspire to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Ben View Post
    Not all Exchange admins foce password requirements and the like. Overall, I find the wireless sync aspect of Windows Mobile to be very Blackberry-esque, and something that a Palm-based alternative should aspire to.
    True. But for those folks who have to bear up with unreasonable password requirements, it can be a pain in the neck.

I wanted to point this out, as I have seen no mention of this aspect of Activesync.

For me, personally, spending $60 of my own $ on Chatter is worth it. I will likely spend more to sync my Calendar when Moxsi comes out with their Xchange-Sync product.

I used to use the free Xpress Mail before. That product certainly fits the description (buggy, not updated etc.). You won't find too many people applying those descriptors to Chatter.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Could be huge for Corporate palm users who has an IT department that only supports direct push.

It says "Not YET available for Cingular ..".

Treo 680 = Cingular. So maybe Cingular is still finishing up it's testing. Or debating whether they want to open up the ports to allow this. And whether to do that for the expensive PDAConnect or the cheaper MediaNet ..

All speculations on my part, of course. I don't have any knowledge of what's going on at Cingular or Palm.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Sideshow - I totally agree. For those companies running Exchange 2003, EAS is a total paradigm shift, and will make the sales of devices that are competitive to Blackberry, much easier. This is great for Palm.
    I've been using EAS on my 700w for about a year now, and my IT guys are moving all 40 of our (formerly) Blackberry users off that server and on to EAS. They are going to use that hardware for another project, and say goodbye to all that $$ they were paying RIM.

Goodbye BES we hardly knew ye.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I admire you having the guts to say what you said, Sideshow_Ben, in this forum which is frequented by a lot of Chatter fans.

Being a loyal and happy Chatter user (since the days of 650 and now 700p), I do share a few observations with Sideshow_Ben. I think the new VersaMail update can help Marc (Chatter's author) evaluate the path he's trying to take Chatter in the future. Is Chatter trying to move to a corporate world? Or is it just targetting users who frequent forums like TreoCentral?

Chatter is by far the best product I've used in my Treo. Quite frankly this is almost *the* reason for me to stay with Palm OS. Keep up the good work Marc and I'm looking forward to something better than the VM update from you, such as re-evaluating adding contact/calendar/etc sync back on your product roadmap?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    For me, personally, spending $60 of my own $ on Chatter is worth it. I will likely spend more to sync my Calendar when Moxsi comes out with their Xchange-Sync product.
    I don't mind spending more to see a fully integrated Chatter with Global Address Lookup, Calendar etc sync simply because Marc (Chatter author) has been a great guy with a superb product. But come to think more about it, why do I do this if VersaMail with the update can handle everything for 'free' and it's available now (sorry, should be Monday) if I only need to deal with my Exchange emails, calendar, contacts, etc? The only reason maybe the stability issue. But I personally haven't tried VersaMail 3.5 so I really can't compare.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast