Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Can any one tell me if palm is plaining on updateing the operating system. I used a treo 600 when they originally came out. But went to the pocket pc and came back to the treo 680. And it look the same as the 600. Im not complaining but it would be nice.
    Palm has said they have not abandoned the OS, so I assume that to mean a new version will be out at some point. They will not make Windows devices only and since the majority of their hires are software engineers, I think it's safe to say a new Palm OS will eventually arrive.
    I believe in a Palm/Linux OS solution on a Treo by 2/29/08.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Having used my wife's Sprint Q for the last week, I can officially state that the Palm OS is extremely dated and antiquated. WM 5.0 is a much more state of the art OS. Much classier, easier look and feel. Yes it takes an extra keystroke to get to Outlook. The internet explorer browser absolutely blows away blazer. Web pages that get truncated in blazer I can view clearly in mobile ie.

The only thing that keeps me married to my 700p is Chatter. Chatter is by far the best mobile email software that I have ever used. It just does everything that you could ever need and it works absolutely flawlessly now. The only good news for me with Palm OS is that I live and work in an EVDO area. I have found that resets in Palm OS are almost always related to quality of signal and amount of bandwidth available. This has cut down on the amount of resets that I have had with the 700p vs. the 650.

Don't get me wrong, the 700p is a great device and I thoroughly enjoy using it. But it is heavy, it is thick, the outside casing is not rubberized meaning that it is slippery and it is also extremely delicate. I would have no problem dropping the Q from 3 feet on a hard floor. Dropping the 700p would be a disaster. Hopefully the upgraded Palm/Linux OS combined with a better ergonomic design with a Treo 900p that it less than 1/2 the depth with a ruggedized casing will make for a kick-*** business smartphone.

Using the Palm OS today is comparable to driving a 1998 BMW 528. If you can drive a 2006 model the difference is night and day. If Palm doesn't make drastic and significant improvements to the OS, they are going to watch as their Treo customer base rapidly disintegrates. Hmmm, maybe they can license OSX from Apple, yea right.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo View Post

Using the Palm OS today is comparable to driving a 1998 BMW 528. If you can drive a 2006 model the difference is night and day. I
    Why drive a new Beamer when you can drive the 1964 1/2 Mustang. Come on isn't an extremely functional "Classic" better than new any day.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    I drive an 05 Neon SRT-4. It's not new, & it's got some problems(it's in the shop for a broken sunroof as I write this), but I'll take it over an 07 Honda any day.

My car- Palm OS
    Honda- WM5

I have used WM5 and I found it far inferior to even POS 4. It's slow, bloated, and buggier than regular Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I drive an 05 Neon SRT-4. It's not new, & it's got some problems(it's in the shop for a broken sunroof as I write this), but I'll take it over an 07 Honda any day.

My car- Palm OS
    Honda- WM5

I have used WM5 and I found it far inferior to even POS 4. It's slow, bloated, and buggier than regular Windows.

"POS" hehe...
    -Lammy