Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I use text messaging A LOT. My sister works a busy job, so rather then call and bug her, I just send her a short text message to tell her little things that are not important enough to call her for.

I also send text messages to my niece to just tell her "Hi, have a good day". Silly stuff really.

Anyway, I have a friend that is "really tight" with her money. And I have been texting her for small things like "Do you want anything from the store?" or "You want to come over for dinner when you get off of work?" and stuff like that.........

She got a little upset because I guess he has to pay for incoming text messages. Now I feel terrible.

I didn't know that you had to pay for incoming text messages.

I pay $5 a month for 300 texts a month. But I guess I didn't realize that everyone has a different plan.

Should I repay her for all the texts that I have sent to her? I think they were .15 cents each, and I probably sent a few dozen or more in a month.

Thanks,
    Mia
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    eh? pay for incoming text messages? sounds a bit backwards to me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    eh? pay for incoming text messages? sounds a bit backwards to me.
    Yes I agree.

She doesn't have a treo. She has a verizon phone.
    I guess verizon charges for incoming text messages??

Silly really.
    T-Mobile charges .10 each way if you don't have a message bundle.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    A good move might be to apologize for the text messaging and mention that you did not know they were costing her anything.

Then offer to repay her and ask under what conditions she wants messages.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    wow - you guys have a pretty odd charging mechanism - so if someone sends you an unsolicated text (or by mistake), you have to pay for it?

Do you still pay for people to call you?
    CGK, Yes and Yes. It is a bit bassackwards over here.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have a few friends like that too. I'm sure everyone knows at least one person who's a text miser. Don't offer to pay. Just apologize and don't send them anymore texts. How much could it possible add up to? a couple bucks? Unless that person sent texts back, which is kinda like telling you it's ok, or you've been sending her texts for a while now and they never mentioned anything to you, which also is like telling you it's ok.

By the way I think verizon is only .02 to receive and .10 to send, so shouldn't have amounted to much.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    texts generally cost to both recieve and send in the US. Yes, it is back assward and will stay that way until more people actually text each other. Texting is no where near as universal in the US as it is other places.

If you cost her money, etiquette would suggest you at least offer to pay her back (as well as apologize.)

Cingular charges $0.10 each way.
    I think you have to actually open the message to be charged for it but I'm not 100% sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22 View Post
    I think you have to actually open the message to be charged for it but I'm not 100% sure...
    Don't think it matters really, they're charging you because they had to receive your message and then send it to you.
    The charge isn't much, so maybe I'd send a card/note of apology, with five or ten bucks inside.

No harm, no foul.

Then, it'd be time to have a conversation with the friend about text etiquette. It'd probably do more good than asking us - well-intended though we may be.

Gotta mention how silly it is that we don't have the option of NOT receiving text messages. Someone could get pissed at you and text bomb the hell out of your account, then you're responsible for the charges?

Pft. That's idiotic. If it ever happens to me (and somehow results in crazy charges) I'm giving my provider all kinds of hell.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    A good move might be to apologize for the text messaging and mention that you did not know they were costing her anything.

Then offer to repay her and ask under what conditions she wants messages.
    ditto that
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    By the way I think verizon is only .02 to receive and .10 to send, so shouldn't have amounted to much.
    The Verizon charge is $0.10 to send or receive; $0.25 if it's an international message. The domestic rate is increasing on March 1, 2007 to $0.15 for send/receive - see this post:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/v...f-their-contr/

Apparently some people are using the price change to get out of Verizon contracts...
    With every service you can block text, maybe pay her and suggest she block them.
    Don't feel terrible, it isn't your fault that your friend falls in the 2% of people who don't text. you had every right to assume that she, owning a cell phone, uses SMS. You have no fault here & no obligation to pay her back as she did not tell you not to text her in the first place. SMS blocking CAN be done by any carrier, my mom used to do it to me when I got my first cell phone eons ago.

I have a friend like this too, it's so annoying. He doesn't block texting, doesn't tell people NOT to text him, REPLIES when they do, refuses to get the $5 text plan(which is less than the extra SMS charges he has to pay every month), yet he gets all pissy when people text him. Who DOESN'T text in this day & age? I text more than I call. Yeesh.
  17. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    My gf yells at me and tells me to stop texting her cuz of her limit. So does my sister.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    My gf yells at me and tells me to stop texting her cuz of her limit. So does my sister.
    They dont have a treo do they?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    With every service you can block text,
    "Every service?"

I believe you are mistaken.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    things are really starting to change with text message plans. I have sprint and they just recently stared charging $0.15 a message whether sent or received and now verizon is moving into that area. someone on my job just put me on to the idea of checking out websites that send ur text message for free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast