Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok with all the talk about Palm moving to a new OS (Linux) what changes would you like to see in the desktop counterpart?

Mine would be:

Ability to hear voice recordings we made on the handheld

Move the "go to" and "today" buttons from the upper right down to the lower left.

Most importantly... when is Palm going to let us set our prefrences for the handheld on our desktops? Seriously, we should be able to setup our units if we so choose on the desktop as well as the handheld.

Any other wishes?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    In general, I would like to see better sync with email accounts and email account setup... although, I have to admit, I've not used palm desktop in years... I went to outlook.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'd like to see Palm Desktop become a browser based application where device management can happen through a browser interface and then where some aspects of device management can be handled from any computer with a web connection, even a Treo.

This of course would be akin to Palm making a ton of server space available and then giving folks some reign on it, but I think its a logical extension of the use of Palm Desktop - to go beyond the desktop.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I would like to see atleast very simple, rudimentary, bare essentials incorporated in Palm Desktop.

Fix these shortcomings:
    1. You can edit only one contact at a time. You can not open two "Contact Edit" windows at a time and cut-paste several fields from 1st contact to 2nd contact.
    2. You can not click on column headers in contact display to sort on any field.
    3. Ability to see SMS messages on Desktop and export to text file is not available.
    4. Ability to see call logs on Desktop and analyse / export to text file is not available.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I'd like to see a program for jotting down phone messages (perhaps it already exists?)

It would be great to have a record of who I called, when, why, etc.
  6.    #6  
    I second the SMS thread support and importing of SMS from any of the "older" units and uploading the whole combined threads from one unit to another no matter the carrier.

For instance, importing all my Verizon 650 treads into my Sprint 700 and then into the "new" desktop/unit.
    There is no spoon.
  7.    #7  
    I also just thought of something else... It would be nice to have the ability to push or pull a hotsync. The ability to initiate a hotsync from the desktop.
    There is no spoon.
  8.    #8  
    How about the ability to backup and export the calls log?
    There is no spoon.
    The ability to share contacts & calendars with family & co-workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I'd like to see Palm Desktop become a browser based application where device management can happen through a browser interface and then where some aspects of device management can be handled from any computer with a web connection, even a Treo.

This of course would be akin to Palm making a ton of server space available and then giving folks some reign on it, but I think its a logical extension of the use of Palm Desktop - to go beyond the desktop.
    Bingo, and I think Palm is headed there.

1. Web-based IMAP email (like .Mac) with push (a la Yahoo Push email client).

2. Google Documents & Spreadsheets type service with DTG integration.

3. Online photo/video//blog/podcast hosting space for content posted from handheld.

4. Online calendaring, contacts similar to Google Calendar that allows you to share your own calendar (private, public) and subscribe to other people's calendar(s).

5. Desktop SIP-based VoIP client with Text SMS/IM integration to go along with VoWLAN/WiFi enabled handheld.

6. Online storage/syncing space (like .Mac) for files, backups, etc.

7. Steaming media player (a la Slingbox/Orb) through the browser as a companion to streaming media player on the handheld for "location free" multimedia.

Put it all together in an AJAX-y browser interface. Of course, some of these services would be free with the purchase of your handheld, and other premium services (photo/video/blog/podcast hosting, "Slingbox/Orb", VoIP/VoWLAN, etc) would be subscription-based. Different pricing tiers for additional online storage/hosting space (base level free).

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/12/2007 at 08:40 PM.
  11.    #11  
    To show Holidays in the calendar should be a user option.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Bingo, and I think Palm is headed there.

1. Web-based IMAP email (like .Mac) with push (a la Yahoo Push email client).

2. Google Documents & Spreadsheets type service with DTG integration.

3. Online photo/video//blog/podcast hosting space for content posted from handheld.

4. Online calendaring, contacts similar to Google Calendar that allows you to share your own calendar (private, public) and subscribe to other people's calendar(s).

5. Desktop SIP-based VoIP client with Text SMS/IM integration to go along with VoWLAN/WiFi enabled handheld.

6. Online storage/syncing space (like .Mac) for files, backups, etc.

7. Steaming media player (a la Slingbox/Orb) through the browser as a companion to streaming media player on the handheld for "location free" multimedia.

Put it all together in an AJAX-y browser interface. Of course, some of these services would be free with the purchase of your handheld, and other premium services (photo/video/blog/podcast hosting, "Slingbox/Orb", VoIP/VoWLAN, etc) would be subscription-based. Different pricing tiers for additional online storage/hosting space (base level free).

Brian
    Interesting. Some responses per your numbering.
    1. If web-based, push would not be needed, but it would need to at least grab RSS of email from other web mail clients. RSS doesn't have much security yet, so that wouldn't happen, and then building a web-based client that can access the major web mail services is a slap on all of them. Would be nice, but I'd rather think if this happened that it would be just something that opens the browser tab into a new window already logged into that respective email service.

2. The ability to sync and work on docs is nice, but I think that for more people syncing them to the mobile device is a better step first before getting into GDocs or another web office program. DTG would be nice to go there, but QuickOffice has a better installed base (Symbian) to pull this off. In either case, it would mean that the networking stack for Garnet would need to be updated for working thru a document reader on the device that would auto-save (background) to the server any doc changes.

3. SplashBlog already does this, but Vox is a better client. I have knowlege of a system that Palm will be using that does this and its coming in a new Garnet Treo. Its quite slick actually. Integrates with SMS/MMS as well has a privacy feature. Its neat.

4. No. Online calendering is not a good thing. Mainstream users are not yet ready to go completely online, however if there is a "clear to end users" aspect of this in which their information will be saved locally and uploaded at their discretion to an online database, then it will float.

5. Not needed. The goal is to make the mobile the hub, VoIP on the desktop conduit doesn't fit this methodology.

6. Some online storage is needed. 2GB for free and then subscription for higher amounts so that some residual income can come in. If the phones/communicators are good enough, this space will sell itself (high megapixel cameras, ability to quickly upload audio, YouTube-type integration, etc.)

7. Again, no. This is not where any mobile device center should go. They are building for mobiles, not laptops. If Palm were doing LD2 that had seemless connectivity to this service, then it would make sense to have a streaming client (Kinoma and PT had a child and called it ???); but other than that, its not needed. Plus, unless you are on wifi or one of 3/T-Mobile UK's plans, streaming is still not liked by carriers and quite expensive.

Good convo, makes me think all the more that this is possible from Nokia and SE moreso than Palm, but Palm can make a US-American play here and things can roll nicely as a counter-measure to the already existing itunes infrastructure.

Good points, but I'll respond and elaborate a bit to clarify why I think these features would fill a "set of unmet needs":

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    1. If web-based, push would not be needed, but it would need to at least grab RSS of email from other web mail clients. RSS doesn't have much security yet, so that wouldn't happen, and then building a web-based client that can access the major web mail services is a slap on all of them. Would be nice, but I'd rather think if this happened that it would be just something that opens the browser tab into a new window already logged into that respective email service.
    I was referring to push on the handheld, not the desktop. I should have made that clear.

2. The ability to sync and work on docs is nice, but I think that for more people syncing them to the mobile device is a better step first before getting into GDocs or another web office program. DTG would be nice to go there, but QuickOffice has a better installed base (Symbian) to pull this off. In either case, it would mean that the networking stack for Garnet would need to be updated for working thru a document reader on the device that would auto-save (background) to the server any doc changes.
    Collaboration is where a GDoc type solution really shines, and syncing isn't an elegant solution for users moving between multiple desktops/laptops. If you can access the web via a browser, you're good to go.

3. SplashBlog already does this, but Vox is a better client. I have knowlege of a system that Palm will be using that does this and its coming in a new Garnet Treo. Its quite slick actually. Integrates with SMS/MMS as well has a privacy feature. Its neat.
    Sounds interesting and I fully expect a comprehensive suite of services for user generated content as an integral part of future Palm services.

4. No. Online calendering is not a good thing. Mainstream users are not yet ready to go completely online, however if there is a "clear to end users" aspect of this in which their information will be saved locally and uploaded at their discretion to an online database, then it will float.
    I completely disagree. Again, online collaboration greatly benefits from online calendaring for group calendars. Of course, a local synced copy would be saved on the device and the users and group managers would be in complete control of access/privacy.

5. Not needed. The goal is to make the mobile the hub, VoIP on the desktop conduit doesn't fit this methodology.
    A desktop VoIP client absolutely fits within this methodology! If you have a cellular & WiFi/VoWLAN hybrid "one phone", then yes, your mobile becomes your primary voice device. But what about when you're sitting in front of your computer (with a full sized keyboard and large monitor) for a good part of the day and you're working with all of these other Palm Desktop apps? If your device has context and location awareness (say it's within Bluetooth range of your desktop/laptop and authenticates, or plugged in via USB) why not have all of your voice calls (and text messages) directed seamlessly to your computer while your Treo is sitting in its cradle getting recharged? Of course, you'd also have a local call log or SMS text message copy synced on your Treo so all of your data is in sync.

Click to call from your Palm Desktop would be killer. And to drive the point home of just how important Palm sees voice as being a killer app, here's a quote from Ed Colligan that Michael Mace thinks is the most important quote of Ed Colligan's talk:

""We're not in the handset business, we're in the mobile computing business....Voice is a killer app of the future of mobile computing. That's how we look at the world."
    6. Some online storage is needed. 2GB for free and then subscription for higher amounts so that some residual income can come in. If the phones/communicators are good enough, this space will sell itself (high megapixel cameras, ability to quickly upload audio, YouTube-type integration, etc.)
    We agree on this one.

7. Again, no. This is not where any mobile device center should go. They are building for mobiles, not laptops. If Palm were doing LD2 that had seemless connectivity to this service, then it would make sense to have a streaming client (Kinoma and PT had a child and called it ???); but other than that, its not needed. Plus, unless you are on wifi or one of 3/T-Mobile UK's plans, streaming is still not liked by carriers and quite expensive.
    This totally fits in with Jeff Hawkins's, Ed Colligan's and Peter Skillman's statements about putting the "user in the center of power, control, and freedom" and the implications of having a "wireless broadband router in your pocket". I'm not 100% sure what they're implying, and I'm not sure if you'll be streaming your own content from your desktop (a la Orb/Slingbox) or through some online service.

The whole point is to leverage the power of the web, a fast broadband wireless connection, and put the user in the center, not the device, which implies services that allow a seamless experience that follows the user whether they're mobile or sitting behind a keyboard and large monitor. I'm putting things in this context, so I'll leave you with this quote from Peter Skillman during the Palm Analyst Day on 9/26/05 from a section of his presentation titled, "What's the foundation of Palm's next disruptive idea?":

"When we talk about mobile computing, most people still think about a laptop. But we know that mobile computing is really something that goes in your hand, and that the next thing, the sort of next platform or category of products that we may create will be perhaps some combination of these two because there's an incredible need, set of needs that aren't being met by the existing products. And so if you look at those needs and focus on the customer experience, that's how you can continue to deliver value to your customers year after year."
    Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/13/2007 at 08:54 PM.
  14.    #14  
    now we're talking guys thanks for your well thought out and intelligent responses. This is the kind of creative thinking I was hoping for.
    There is no spoon.
    Hey ballistic;
    I gather from your comments that you have more of a 'business > consumer' perspective on how mobile tech is best to be used. I'm more of the mobile tech as a lifestyle perspective (consumer + business = something totally new) and so I can see where we don't see eye to eye. It's neat as I do see and looking at it from the 'business > consumer' end, what you speak of is on point.

If I am Palm, this is the kind of debate that they would have that should/could spur two different approaches towards making products (as I believe Nokia does this if I am looking at their latest product offerings). The Treo would be a business device, and therefore too much user control (what we both are proposing) would not float. But a near BES/Exchange solution would. The Treos are just about there with the Good/BC/Exchange integration now. A newer device would be more client/end-user based and then this would not only work, but it could sell the top end of mainstream users who want to use the mobile communicator as a lifestyle device and not just one that does email (newer and fresher designs permitting of course).

Antoine,

I strongly believe that Palm can create high end "Mercedes" devices (as Ed Colligan recently referred to products in the pipeline) as well as entry-level devices aimed at new and less tech-savvy users (like the Treo 680 based on the price, colors, and new launcher), all the while offering a range of online services and software applications that appeal to consumers as well as enterprise/business users. If they strike the right balance of the "Zen of Palm"(ease of use/simplicity), "hand-holding" new customers (their Butler pilot program), and powerful services that leverage the power of highspeed wireless networks like the ones we're discussing, I think they'll differentiate themselves even further from the competition. (See Palm Customer slide from Palm CFO & SVP Andy Brown's recent presentation at the BOA 2007 Technology Conference

As far as a new category of devices, I think it will be for information-centric users that leverages the power of the web for accessing and finding information (See Features slide, IMHO the growing popularity of mobile web browsing dictates the need for a new form factor).

A suite of desktop applications (or Web 2.0 & AJAX services that run within a desktop web browser) that seamlessly integrate with information-centric services (web search, local search, online PIM, user-generated content) would therefore make sense, IMHO.

This is a great discussion that has made me look at the problem (evolving Palm desktop software) from both a consumer/lifestyle perspective and business/enterprise perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/22/2007 at 05:27 PM.
    Sorry to disturb you people, but are we talking about DESKTOP application here?
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_desai View Post
    Sorry to disturb you people, but are we talking about DESKTOP application here?
    We are. Web 2.0 & AJAX services through a web browser on the DESKTOP could make DESKTOP applications a thing of the past .

Brian
  19.    #19  
    How about making the migration from one Palm product to another seemless?

How frustrating is it when you have to reregister all those programs etc.
    There is no spoon.
    Needs improved printing capabilities for the calendar, especially support for all the views. Makes it easy for PDFing and printing and sharing.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast