Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    sorry, but you don't go to HTML sites directly unless you change the registry. I have friends that own the TyTN and when going to specific sites, they do go to the wap version if the website is configured to do so.

I'm speaking about the Treo 750, 8525 here, so no, it's not $0-50 cheaper, its more like $150-300 cheaper. And on the Treo and 8525, there is very minimal Cingular branding besides the Cingular logo on the front/back of the device.
    All I can tell you is what an owner of both said. He said he had no trouble going right to the HTML sites on TyTN, but was directed to the WAP sites on the 8525. Maybe someone changed the registry and he didn't know it, I really don't know.

As for branding, there's also the ROM branding besides the physical branding. Cingular is sometimes intrusive with the ROM branding. Is it my phone or did I rent it from Cingular, LOL! No thanks.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    you know, if you go through the proxy on medianet then I guess it would pull up more sites. just disable the proxy in the settings or use My ISP instead.

My 750 has pretty much no Cingular branding on the software side. Since the phone is sold by cingular, of course it'll have cingular branding. Any unbranded phone has branding of some sort-moto, se, palm, htc. You're not renting your phone fron the mfr either, but they still have their branding
    And full function with no carrier's restrictions.
    Of course that may mean you're on your own a lot, since carriers may ignore what's not their's, but that's what forums are for.

But T-Mobile has a "non-supported" T-Mobile device tech support, at least they did when I called for the settings on my w810i.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And full function with no carrier's restrictions.
    Of course that may mean you're on your own a lot, since carriers may ignore what's not their's, but that's what forums are for.

But T-Mobile has a "non-supported" T-Mobile device tech support, at least they did when I called for the settings on my w810i.
    Get back to me when you actually own one of these devices.
    You mean the TyTN or the 750v? I'm not getting another Cingular branded phone, I've had enough.

You mean the TyTN or the 750v? I'm not getting another Cingular branded phone, I've had enough.
    yes. but it doesn't really matter. You don't care about spending a few hundred dollars more, so go for the unbranded. Palm's 750 might be $599, but even if it is $649, it'll probably have free shipping, free accessories, and no tax.
    But freedom of unbranded and unlocked DOES matter to me!

Me too.
    that's fine too and I do know quite a few people that love their unbranded TyTNs/Wizards etc. I just find that from a useability point, there is no difference. The features on my 8525, 8125, and Treo 750 have not been compromised besides being locked to Cingular which I can unlock at any time if I so wish. But, I'm sticking with Cingular for now, and I don't have plans to go overseas just yet, so I have no problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    that's fine too and I do know quite a few people that love their unbranded TyTNs/Wizards etc. I just find that from a useability point, there is no difference. The features on my 8525, 8125, and Treo 750 have not been compromised besides being locked to Cingular which I can unlock at any time if I so wish. But, I'm sticking with Cingular for now, and I don't have plans to go overseas just yet, so I have no problems with it.
    I am a Cingular subscriber, have a Cingular SIM, have used it in multiple phones. My 650 is unlocked and purchased from Palm.

When I am registered on Cingular, Blazer performs differently than when I am not. This is partly because Cingular forces my "home" page, but mostly because they are my portal for the Internet. Sometimes it is an irritant.

When I am registered on another GSM network, as when traveling abroad, my phone performs like other GSM device on that network.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    When I am registered on Cingular, Blazer performs differently than when I am not. This is partly because Cingular forces my "home" page, but mostly because they are my portal for the Internet.
    I have had a 650 for a long time, so perhaps I just don't remember how Blazer acted when I first got the phone. I now default to Bookmarks and select a site to go to from there. Maybe others would consider this an annoying two step process, but it works for me.

A question (to any and all) - Is this the norm for Cingular - forcing a home page? And since this only happens when you are connected to Cingular's network, whmurray, is it a function of the phone or the network? Or do I misunderstand?
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I have had a 650 for a long time, so perhaps I just don't remember how Blazer acted when I first got the phone. I now default to Bookmarks and select a site to go to from there. Maybe others would consider this an annoying two step process, but it works for me.

A question (to any and all) - Is this the norm for Cingular - forcing a home page? And since this only happens when you are connected to Cingular's network, whmurray, is it a function of the phone or the network? Or do I misunderstand?
    You can choose any homepage. I had a 650, 8125, 8525, and 750 and I have always used google.com/ig
    So you're willing to be a carrier's captive. And if Cingular really did have something to do with removing unlocked 680s from the market(see the 680 forum), that REALLY sucks that they can have so much control over the manufacturer!!!!

This is also one reason why good phones don't make it into the US. We are often unwilling to pay for good phones outright. We want the carrier to cover it, and so because of that; we give the carrier control and they in turn dictate what we get and also are able to cripple what little good phones we do get!
    That is soo true [beer]. I cant stand how companies think we want their branded software all over the place. Like how Verizion thinks all their users want to use their bloody interface and software or how Cingular is crippling features on their phone in one way or another. Come one.
    On that note, most PCs come with bloatware as well.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Example? I don't think my 700w came with bloatware except maybe the quick tour and download agent. I would count Pocket MSN as one but I can see the use for that if I really used my msn account more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    That is soo true [beer]. I cant stand how companies think we want their branded software all over the place. Like how Verizion thinks all their users want to use their bloody interface and software or how Cingular is crippling features on their phone in one way or another. Come one.
    vzw is the worst with this stuff. I don't really buy too many "normal" cell phones, and if I do, I use them as my weekend phone - quick calls and texts. My PPCphones are more important to me, and my Treo 750 doesn't come with any features that cripple the device, and there is really no extra branding on the software side.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    If we were patient and had a LOCAL builder put together one, that isn't necessarily true. But most people go commercial. You can get someone to build your computer and load it ONLY with the OS. It's just easier to order one or get one in stock at the store.

If we were patient and had a LOCAL builder put together one, that isn't necessarily true. But most people go commercial. You can get someone to build your computer and load it ONLY with the OS. It's just easier to order one or get one in stock at the store.
    Correct.
    I know EXACTLY what is on my PCs

Company Laptop is another issue
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    As with most of my gadgets, my PCs are provided by my company so I won't complain. :-)

I have been building my own PCs since the early 1980s ... now a days however my personal machines are made by Apple and run OSX.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Apple does not include the crap that commercially built PCs do. Smart!

I think you should have the CHOICE to install all that secondary software!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast