Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I know why it's called the Sherlock.

Palm: Here's our new phone!

Customer: But it looks just like the last one!

Palm: no S**T Sherlock!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Priceless
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    whmurray-did you even bother to read my analysis of contract vs. no contract? doesn't seem like it bc it does save you money to enter into a K
    The only situation you save money with no-contract is prepaid card, which you can get for 0.10 a minute from T-Mobile. But then you can't use any data so that doesn't make sense for a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

RTFL until the tears started.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    The only situation you save money with no-contract is prepaid card, which you can get for 0.10 a minute from T-Mobile. But then you can't use any data so that doesn't make sense for a Treo.
    I believe you can use T-Zones, but if you need serious data, it's better to get a plan, I agree. But I don't know why carriers can't just give out no-contract plans. You'd still have to pay them every month anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Phonediva-if I'm signing a 2yr contract, I expect my phone to be subsidized. you come across as a person that believes that all companies are inherently out for themselves first *fixed*. although I do not agree with many tactics used by some companies, I find tat I'm not being misled by cingular. I know what I'm buying I have no problem signing a contract because I save more money on it then an etf would cost. your argument about mfrs notwanting to bring better phones over? you better believe they want to. but the carriers are the customer for the mfr. I don't care what you think of that, its true. consumers have a hard time paying $100 for a subsudized phone, what makes you think that people want to spend 5x that much? nor can many people afford it. you can roll your eyes at me as much as you want, but in the past 12 months I've purchased phones that would have cost $2,200 for $1200. That's a HUGE savings.You gave the $1000 back in minutes and data costs for 2 years, especially if you have several lines. ATT wins in the end. Do I feel cheated bc I signed a contract? nope, I definitely feel like I got the good end of the bargain. when the savings are as sigificant in my example, then maybe you can see why I'm a fan of branded phones. I'd rather throw that $1000 I saved into an interest bearing account and use it for something better.
    I thought I did say that people were unwilling to pay for good phones somewhere in my statement. And that's indeed part of the problem. But how do you explain Cingular butchering features on phones? That has nothing to do with the consumer's end.

I'm not totally against 2 yr. contracts but I don't love them either. They benefit the carrier more than the consumer in the end. Unless you really love your carrier.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought I did say that people were unwilling to pay for good phones somewhere in my statement. And that's indeed part of the problem. But how do you explain Cingular butchering features on phones? That has nothing to do with the consumer's end.

I'm not totally against 2 yr. contracts but I don't love them either. They benefit the carrier more than the consumer in the end. Unless you really love your carrier.
    Which features are butchered on the 8525? Which features are butchered on the Treo 750? Do you own these devices you are making broad assumptions on, or are you just assuming that it is true? My 750 works as advertised. My 8125 and 8525 both worked with all features intact. Even if Cingular changes some things, the fix is a simple reg-edit, something that isn't worth the extra $200 I would have to pay to get an unbranded device.

And of course contracts benefit the carrier. It offers a service that is tailored to generate a profit, and so it's going to be designed to benefit them.
    8525 is reported to have a hot-wired browser, you get directed to WAP sites. On the TyTN, you go straight to HTML sites. Then there's the 750 hot-wired browser problem. I'm still not sure that's a good thing. Why should you have to mess with your phone's registry anyway? The browser should just work. And the extra $200 is so you can own your phone outright and not be tied to one carrier.

On the Cingular w810i someone gave me, Cingular disabled some menus and hot-wired the application key to go to Media Net, so you accidentally press that key, you pay Cingular. Also on the new branded w810i, DRM applies to MP3 ringtones. On unbranded, the phone is freed up to use MP3 as we wish. BTW, the w810i can be found unbranded and unlocked for under $300.

On the Blackjack, I understand the original unbranded version has wifi.

On the E62, WCDMA and wifi were chopped off the phone, leaving only EDGE. It really couldn't have been that hard for Cingular to request a US version of the E61, leaving wifi and UMTS on. Even Nokia left the wifi on the E70-A, the US version of the E70.

I believe you can use T-Zones, but if you need serious data, it's better to get a plan, I agree. But I don't know why carriers can't just give out no-contract plans. You'd still have to pay them every month anyway.

No you can't. TMobile prepaid used to have T-Zone for free. Now you can't get it even it`f you pay for it.

Cingular has (expensive) data charge for its prepaid cards.

The original version didn't have HSDPA though. (At least not the European version that I played with.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    The original version didn't have HSDPA though. (At least not the European version that I played with.)
    No, thats the 320i, the 600i has HSDPA and WIFI. The blackjack drops the WIFI.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No, thats the 320i, the 600i has HSDPA and WIFI. The blackjack drops the WIFI.

Surur
    I was under the impression that the blackjack was based on the 320i
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    No you can't. TMobile prepaid used to have T-Zone for free. Now you can't get it even it`f you pay for it.

Cingular has (expensive) data charge for its prepaid cards.
    I just got off the line with T-Mobile pre-paid. Got the wap settings and picture messaging settings for pre-paid, and they were well aware I'm using a unlocked phone with a pre-paid SIM. I was honest and still got it.

8525 is reported to have a hot-wired browser, you get directed to WAP sites. On the TyTN, you go straight to HTML sites. Then there's the 750 hot-wired browser problem. I'm still not sure that's a good thing. Why should you have to mess with your phone's registry anyway? The browser should just work. And the extra $200 is so you can own your phone outright and not be tied to one carrier.

On the Cingular w810i someone gave me, Cingular disabled some menus and hot-wired the application key to go to Media Net, so you accidentally press that key, you pay Cingular. Also on the new branded w810i, DRM applies to MP3 ringtones. On unbranded, the phone is freed up to use MP3 as we wish. BTW, the w810i can be found unbranded and unlocked for under $300.

On the E62, WCDMA and wifi were chopped off the phone, leaving only EDGE. It really couldn't have been that hard for Cingular to request a US version of the E61, leaving wifi and UMTS on. Even Nokia left the wifi on the E70-A, the US version of the E70.
    Actually, any PPC will go to a mobile version of a site if it has that version available. Some sites don't recognize the type of device you're using, so you will go to the HTML site. This has been the same since PPCs first came out. In order to bypass this setting, you have to change the registry to allow the device to get past the wap site. I've owned various PPC devices in the past, and they have all generated websites the same way. I get hofo, treocentral, WSJ, CNN, etc all in HTML. Some pages like Yahoo!, google, and various news sites go to a mobile friendly version which I prefer. But if you want 100% HTML all the time, you have to change the registry, branded or not. Lots of websites read the browser you're using and adjust accordingly. The IE Mobile on WM devices broadcasts that it is a mobile browser.

I can unlock any phone I get through Cingular, so I'm not tied to them either if I don't want to stick around. I don't have to pay an extra $200 premium for this.

I won't comment on a device that I haven't owned, but you can get a cingular w810i for free or -$50 now. That's a $300 savings.

There are various reasons why wifi might be chopped off, but I agree with you, if there's a model out there with it, why not just offer it? Cingular has the 8125 and 8525 so obviously it's not wholly opposed to the idea. 3G is a different issue because that really is up to the manufacturer to test/implement the chip.
    I just got off the line with T-Mobile pre-paid. Got the wap settings and picture messaging settings for pre-paid, and they were well aware I'm using a unlocked phone with a pre-paid SIM. I was honest and still got it.
    ?!! Mind tell me what the setting is?

I just double checked howardforum, I can't even find any (T-Mobile to go data charge) info in there.

edit: it looks like people in some areas are getting it again since Oct.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1012717
    LOL! And you get a crippled menu, no free MP3 usage, and stuck on ATT for 2 years for $0-50!! Nice! I LOVE my unlocked w810is!!! However, I did learn where to unbrand any SE phones for $15, so you can at least free up the menus ATT disabled.

And on the TyTN, it's been reported that you do go directly to HTML sites.

Last but not least, ATT's branding is just annoying and so is T-Mobile's for that matter! Unbranded all the way!

LOL! And you get a crippled menu, no free MP3 usage, and stuck on ATT for 2 years for $0-50!! Nice! I LOVE my unlocked w810is!!! However, I did learn where to unbrand any SE phones for $15, so you can at least free up the menus ATT disabled.

And on the TyTN, it's been reported that you do go directly to HTML sites.

Last but not least, ATT's branding is just annoying and so is T-Mobile's for that matter! Unbranded all the way!
    sorry, but you don't go to HTML sites directly unless you change the registry. I have friends that own the TyTN and when going to specific sites, they do go to the wap version if the website is configured to do so.

I'm speaking about the Treo 750, 8525 here, so no, it's not $0-50 cheaper, its more like $150-300 cheaper. And on the Treo and 8525, there is very minimal Cingular branding besides the Cingular logo on the front/back of the device.
    The CDMA Palm Treo is currently being beta tested as the 755p on Sprint.

It has 1.3MP camera instead of the 680's VGA camera. Otherwise it's largely unchanged from the 680 although it's still early enough that some things *could* change.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGavilan View Post
    The CDMA Palm Treo is currently being beta tested as the 755p on Sprint.

It has 1.3MP camera instead of the 680's VGA camera. Otherwise it's largely unchanged from the 680 although it's still early enough that some things *could* change.
    SO this would replace the 700p? I hope they have more to offer then just removing the antenna. It doesn't sound like much of a product.