Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 344
  1. #81  
    Yeah ... I should have said I've been told I'm using WM5. :-)

    The w900i is nice, just BIG. I'd gladly sell it except it's my only unlocked phone for use when I travel, and 2) It's owned by S-E themselves and on extended loan to me so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like that too much. (smile)

    Honestly, the only phone that I *OWN* is my old Treo 650. (and Sprint won't even give me service without a two year contract so it sits there collecting dust).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  2. #82  
    Why won't Sprint give you service? Is that a new requirement? 2 years? That sucks.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #83  
    Damn! This thread has grown to 5 pages without any concrete news. You guys are too excitable.
  4. #84  
    Forget about the Palm OS for now, it's the same rehashed version over and over. It's only hope is if Mobile OS X(yeah, I know people don't agree on this) doesn't do as well as they think it will. Because if it does, barely anyone except die hards will ever want to use Palm OS again!
    I suspect Cingular crippled something on their branded version. Guess I gotta dish out for a TyTN.
    Then why isn't it disabled on the 750? Hmmm....
    Be prepared to pay huge data costs if you travel, with no wifi. Nokia and HTC can do both 3G and wifi, why not Palm?
    I do travel and I don't have problems with it. Travel overseas? Maybe, when I'm on business, my data useage on the phone stays lower because I'm not streaming video on the commute to work.
    Ever see a picture taken by a Sony Ericsson phone? Those pics are usable if you need to shoot on the fly.
    That's SE's differentiation strategy - combine a cell phone with a great camera and/or MP3 player. Product leadership is the name of the game for Sony cameraphones.


    My thoughts in BOLD.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Like I was saying before, wifi is important if you want international success for the Treo. If you want it to stay home, then fine, but that limits Palm greatly.

    Yes, I agree that SE is seriously good with many features! If the w900 and w950 had 850 and US 3G, I'd have bought them! I have 3 of their phones, but not the top end ones due to the band issue.
    Maybe Palm will realize its mistake for the european market like it realized it's mistake with the 700w. Hopefully the next gen 750 for europe remedies the wifi situation.

    And bluetooth - could be better, SE does have a great BT stack. Maybe palm should develop it's own stack (not sure how feasible this is).
  6. #86  
    Re bluetooth stacks - I wonder how much of that is other OEM's testing against their stack and making sure it works with them, because they form the majority of the market.

    Surur
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I don't mind incremental upgrades. Frequent incremental improvements is a sign of rapid response to the market or to defects/needed design changes that become visible after a product goes on the market.

    Every 6 months a better version of the same thing? That's good.

    However, he said, you don't win games just by hitting singles. Ya gotta hit the long ball, too.

    We are in the iPhone announcement hangover. That's a grand slam home run. Give the Palm folks credit for continuing to grind out singles. Let's hope they also have a home run coming, though.
    Incremental upgrades ok. But frequent? Sony made frequent upgrades when they made palms...but never palm itself. But Sony showed it can de done...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I suspect Cingular crippled something on their branded version. Guess I gotta dish out for a TyTN.
    Then why isn't it disabled on the 750? Hmmm.... You have too much faith in branded phones. Why pay for disabled features? Cingular has butchered so many phones, I now refuse to buy anything Cingular-branded unless desperate. Someone posted somewhere else about how Cingular hot-wired the browser to go to Media Net. And I've seen that complaint before. They've done that on too many of their phones for me to ignore.
    Be prepared to pay huge data costs if you travel, with no wifi. Nokia and HTC can do both 3G and wifi, why not Palm?
    I do travel and I don't have problems with it. Travel overseas? Maybe, when I'm on business, my data useage on the phone stays lower because I'm not streaming video on the commute to work.What's the use of having high speed data if you can't use it?


    My thoughts in BOLD.
    My thoughts in red.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #89  
    @phone diva

    why pay for a branded phone? bc it costs hundreds cheaper. so far everything on my 750 works as advertised.

    lets not forget the costs of using data in other countries. also, if I'm there for business, then i'll opt to use my laptop 98% of the time.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why won't Sprint give you service? Is that a new requirement? 2 years? That sucks.
    Yeah ... they won't give you service without a 2 year deal, even if you are not buying a phone.

    My phone will continue to collect dust before I sign on to something like that. This is why I hate CDMA. I can't even go to another vendor if I wanted to.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    @phone diva

    why pay for a branded phone? bc it costs hundreds cheaper. .............
    You cannot possibly be that naive.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    You cannot possibly be that naive.
    Instead of posting worthless sentences, care to elaborate? I bought the Treo 750 from Cingular for $455 shipped OUTRIGHT due to my corporate discount. Any attempt to purchase one from eBay or some online retailer would cost at minimum 600+shipping, up to ~$800. Now tell me oh wise one, why is that being naive? Could it be because you think that I have an ETF to add to the total cost of the phone? Well, I'll just refute that by stating that I have no desire to leave cingular (for T-Mobile? HAHAHA, with the traveling I do for business, ol' pink doesn't cut it for me). Don't like that reason? Then I'll just humor you and say that it could have extended my contract to a full 2 yr. term. Hmm, ok. Well my contract was set to expire in 11/08. Now, if I extended my contract, it would expire in 01/09. A whopping 2 months. Definitely worth it.

    Now, what about my situation is naive?
    Last edited by gadgetluva; 01/22/2007 at 10:25 PM.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Yeah ... they won't give you service without a 2 year deal, even if you are not buying a phone.

    My phone will continue to collect dust before I sign on to something like that. This is why I hate CDMA. I can't even go to another vendor if I wanted to.
    Doesn't everyone make you sign a contract?

    I don't understand everyone's hatred for contracts. If you save the cost of the ETF by signing a contract, doesn't that even everything out? Not to mention that if you DO sign a contract and save the ~$200, that is a GUARANTEED savings of $200 because you have already realized it. Incurring an ETF is NOT guaranteed as you may spend another 2yrs with the cellular company anyways. Factoring in the Time Value of Money and Expected Value models, you're actually ahead of the game. Maybe I'm being too analytical, I don't know.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Doesn't everyone make you sign a contract?

    I don't understand everyone's hatred for contracts. If you save the cost of the ETF by signing a contract, doesn't that even everything out? Not to mention that if you DO sign a contract and save the ~$200, that is a GUARANTEED savings of $200 because you have already realized it. Incurring an ETF is NOT guaranteed as you may spend another 2yrs with the cellular company anyways. Factoring in the Time Value of Money and Expected Value models, you're actually ahead of the game. Maybe I'm being too analytical, I don't know.
    Cingular nor T-Mobile make you sign a contract JUST to get service.
    Even pre-paid would be fine with me, but Sprint won't do it, and Verizon only lets you do it with their "special" phones. (sigh)

    Side note: I have a corporate account which doesn't have contracts. My wife has a good plan with t-mobile. All either one of us has to do is upgrade our devices and keep our SIM cards without incurring the wrath of the contract-extender monkey at the various providers.

    My beef with the ETF on Sprint is that I'm not getting a benefit from it. As you pointed out above you get a discount on a device with a contract and I'm perfectly ok with that. But just to activate service, without buying a device? What am I costing Sprint? Very little I think. So why stick me with a $200 ETF? Doesnt' seem right.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    @phone diva

    why pay for a branded phone? bc it costs hundreds cheaper. so far everything on my 750 works as advertised.

    lets not forget the costs of using data in other countries. also, if I'm there for business, then i'll opt to use my laptop 98% of the time.
    So you're willing to be a carrier's captive. And if Cingular really did have something to do with removing unlocked 680s from the market(see the 680 forum), that REALLY sucks that they can have so much control over the manufacturer!!!!

    This is also one reason why good phones don't make it into the US. We are often unwilling to pay for good phones outright. We want the carrier to cover it, and so because of that; we give the carrier control and they in turn dictate what we get and also are able to cripple what little good phones we do get!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Doesn't everyone make you sign a contract?

    I don't understand everyone's hatred for contracts. If you save the cost of the ETF by signing a contract, doesn't that even everything out? Not to mention that if you DO sign a contract and save the ~$200, that is a GUARANTEED savings of $200 because you have already realized it. Incurring an ETF is NOT guaranteed as you may spend another 2yrs with the cellular company anyways. Factoring in the Time Value of Money and Expected Value models, you're actually ahead of the game. Maybe I'm being too analytical, I don't know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #97  
    Doesn't everyone make you sign a contract?[/QUOTE]

    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I don't understand everyone's hatred for contracts. .
    I do not hate contracts. I simply assert that it is naive to believe that one saves money by entering into one.

    Lot's of people religiously buy extended warranties; I save money by not buying them.

    One pays one's dollar and one takes one's choice.
  18. #98  
    Driven, I see your point, I didn't realize that you meat you were bringing your own phone in for just service, I just completely missed it.

    Phonediva-if I'm signing a 2yr contract, I expect my phone to be subsidized. you come across as a person that believes that all companies are inherently evil. although I do not agree with many tactics used by some companies, I find tat I'm not being misled by cingular. I know what I'm buying I have no problem signing a contract because I save more money on it then an etf would cost. your argument about mfrs notwanting to bring better phones over? you better believe they want to. but the carriers are the customer for the mfr. I don't care what you think of that, its true. consumers have a hard time paying $100 for a subsudized phone, what makes you think that people want to spend 5x that much? nor can many people afford it. you can roll your eyes at me as much as you want, but in the past 12 months I've purchased phones that would have cost $2,200 for $1200. That's a HUGE savings. Do I feel cheated bc I signed a contract? nope, I definitely feel like I got the good end of the bargain. when the savings are as sigificant in my example, then maybe you can see why I'm a fan of branded phones. I'd rather throw that $1000 I saved into an interest bearing account and use it for something better.
  19. #99  
    whmurray-did you even bother to read my analysis of contract vs. no contract? doesn't seem like it bc it does save you money to enter into a K
    Last edited by gadgetluva; 01/23/2007 at 08:24 AM.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Sleeker form-factor; sexier UI; better default apps; VGA screen; 2GB memory; and a stable, multi-tasking OS.
    Doubt we'll see VGA or 2 GB for a while, but a new OS is really needed, as is an upgrade to the built in apps. I don't have any serious issues with the form factor. Thinner would be nice, but not at the expense of poor battery life.

    The Treo still lacks basic phone functionality that you can get in $20 phones. (How about PROFILES for God's sake? Even my wife's FREE Nokia has profiles.) Yes, there are lots of 3rd party apps that enhance the phone, but they all have different interfaces and don't always play well together. Palm doesn't even have to be all that creative--just look at what the most popular apps are here and on MTDN and integrate the functionality. Why can't I do extended dialing (with pauses, and such) from any number in my directory, instead of just favorites, for one simple example? If a free phone can automatically insert hypens when entering a phone number into the directory, why can't a $600 phone do it? How about built in call blocking? I could list a hundred improvements to the basic software that Palm could make.

    And the PIM apps are antedeluvian. The haven't really changed in 20 years. The feature limited version of Datebk that came with the 600 was better than what Palm includes with the Treo now. And as much as I disklike WinMob, the Palm address book is weak by comparison. Surely it's possible to support more fields and still retain ease of use. Can we get a little love from that building full of software engineers Palm talks about?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions