Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'll say this again, this might be Cingular's doing. I debranded one of my other phones and saw all the stuff they disabled.
    It's not. This happens on other WM5 devices as well.

HP 6915. Sprint 6700, heck, even a standard stand alone HP iPaq (non-phone) WM5 device exhibited this behavior. It's just normal behavior in the WM5 version of PIE.

Oddly, I can authenticate with a WM2003 device over wi-fi. (But why bother?)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    With the recent Sr. Wifi Engineer job posting at Palm and the mention of VoWLAN (Voice over Wireless Local Area Network), I think it wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination for Palm to create "One Phone" that seamlessly switches between cellular and WLAN networks, both for the enterprise and consumer markets. When you're at home or in the office, you could be in a Wifi environment and use VoIP to make and receive out of plan calls. This also raises the possiblity of Palm's offering their own VoIP service along with other groupware, the latter of which it looks like they're now building in-house after Motorola's acquisition of Good.

Emphasis mine.

Colligan hinted that having a high speed wireless connection "to your pocket" could allow Palm to connect to their customers in new and exciting ways by offering client/server based services, echoing Jeff Hawkins' original tease about Palm's "secret third business". I highly recommend listening to the Churchill Club Breakfast with CEO Ed Colligan and Michael Mace's Understanding Palm: What Ed Colligan really said.

Ed Colligan:

"They (users) have a high-speed connection...to their pocket...Boy, is there things we can deliver to them, and is there compelling experiences that we can deliver to them, that are going to help us differentiate our products? I think there are, and we're working on things like that."

Michael Mace's take:

Same vague hints that Palm has been giving for a year: Broadband modem, lots of local storage, think what we could do for that. What I think I'm hearing is: A mobile product with WiFi, which Palm pairs with Web services that deliver content and do other things for the user. I wish I knew what those things are -- that'll be the interesting part.

I'm thinking context and location awareness, to which I'd also add that Colligan said the following when questioned about future GPS-enabled Palm handhelds at around 43 minutes and 12 seconds:

"That's one of them, no question....And the usage, that's going to be one of the really interesting discovery points of new usage and how do I use the fact that I know where I am... that other things know where I am, or other systems know where I am and that I opt-in to let them know where I am?"

Brian
    The man is just such a visionary! Just outshines Gates and Jobs!
    whoa, call him a visionary if he actually has done something.
    as of now, vaporware talk is so cheap.
    in 2006, all they did was sleep with the enemy( treo750) and rehash the treo600( treo680) w/ the absolute worst battery life.
    I have a feeling he was being sarcastic.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    whoa, call him a visionary if he actually has done something.
    as of now, vaporware talk is so cheap.
    in 2006, all they did was sleep with the enemy( treo750) and rehash the treo600( treo680) w/ the absolute worst battery life.
    OK. I give up. You win.
    Who said visionary? Was that sarcasm or a straw man?

I was trying to convey what we might be able to expect from Palm in their upcoming products and services.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Who said visionary? Was that sarcasm or a straw man?

I was trying to convey what we might be able to expect from Palm in their upcoming products and services.
    OK. I admit it. I was being sarcastic.

We have two ways to predict what Palm might do. One is to listen to the rhetoric. From the rhetoric you cite, one might conclude that they have some sense of the opportunity and how to exploit it.

The alternative is to project from the track record. From the track record one can predict late, grudging, and flawed variations on the Handspring Treo 600.

One pays one's dollar and one takes one's choice. I admit to being a skeptic.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The alternative is to project from the track record. From the track record one can predict late, grudging, and flawed variations on the Handspring Treo 600.
    This is so true. You can count on Palm always being a generation behind and skimping on features.

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    palm should change the name from "sherlock" to "inspector clouseau", or just simply "clouseau"
    Last edited by vw2002; 01/21/2007 at 12:26 PM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    palm should change the name from "sherlock" to "inspector clusoe"
    exactly

'cept the spelling "Clouseau"
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    exactly

'cept the spelling "Clouseau"
    yeah i just realized that.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    OK. I admit it. I was being sarcastic.

We have two ways to predict what Palm might do. One is to listen to the rhetoric. From the rhetoric you cite, one might conclude that they have some sense of the opportunity and how to exploit it.

One pays one's dollar and one takes one's choice. I admit to being a skeptic.
    I'd submit that it isn't one or the other, that you can predict using both forward looking statements and past performance. I don't agree with either of your assertions that Palm's forward looking statements are merely rhetoric and that their track record consists of late, grudging, and flawed variations of the Treo 600, but I can understand your skepticism if you truly believe in both. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This is so true. You can count on Palm always being a generation behind and skimping on features.
    1. Name the features that Palm is "skimping on".

2. Of those features, list the compelling usage scenarios that they offer.

3. Of those compelling usage scenarios, would they be served better by a comprehensive, integrated suite of services offered by Palm, or by mixing and matching them using third-party services and applications that don't fully integrate with one another?

I'd suggest that Palm adds features and services only when they can provide compelling usage scenarios to their users, not as merely adding features to check off a box in a feature comparison chart. I think there are significant indications that Palm will offer these services and usage scenarios based on their forward looking statements, past job postings, and Palm's understanding of what their fundamental business drivers are.
    I'll give you one, although I'd be repeating myself for the 100th time. Unless they plan on having only US customers in certain areas, they really need to have BUILT-IN wifi! We have low data costs, compared to Canada and Europe(yes even Verizon and Cingular are less), using a Treo is expensive in other places if they plan on using data. Over here, not everyone can get the 3G data. EDGE is getting old, we want high speed now. This is an often expensive, full PDA phone. It needs to have wifi at that price, no good excuse not to given that other manufacturers have given us wifi and 3G in the same phone.

Here's another. The bluetooth seems to be crippled or something. I don't know if this is due to contantly using old stacks or something else. A new phone needs to work with newer headsets and newer cars. I see the car complaint a lot.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'll give you one, although I'd be repeating myself for the 100th time. Unless they plan on having only US customers in certain areas, they really need to have BUILT-IN wifi! We have low data costs, compared to Canada and Europe(yes even Verizon and Cingular are less), using a Treo is expensive in other places if they plan on using data. Over here, not everyone can get the 3G data. EDGE is getting old, we want high speed now. This is an often expensive, full PDA phone. It needs to have wifi at that price, no good excuse not to given that other manufacturers have given us wifi and 3G in the same phone.
    Yes yes yes - I mentioned this myself, the European context is entirely different to that of the states - without Wi-fi, The treo is an also-ran, with a couple of exceptions data is prohibitively expensive. Work pays for my data costs, there is no way I'd pay the 100s of pounds a month this would cost me.
    GPS is also a compelling feature which drove handheld uptake significantly.

Surur

Here's another. The bluetooth seems to be crippled or something. I don't know if this is due to contantly using old stacks or something else. A new phone needs to work with newer headsets and newer cars. I see the car complaint a lot.
    The Bluetooth issue that you brought up is FAR FAR more important than the wi-fi issue. I still can't get my 8125 nor my Treo to connect to the Acura bluetooth system. It's limited in many ways.

Thus far the ONLY phones I've used with a decent bluetooth stack have been feature-phones from Sony Ericcson. They had decent bluetooth 3 years ago. Why can't anyone else (Palm *OR* Microsoft) produce a decent bluetooth stack? The way it currently is, quite frankly, sucks!
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Like I was saying before, wifi is important if you want international success for the Treo. If you want it to stay home, then fine, but that limits Palm greatly.

Yes, I agree that SE is seriously good with many features! If the w900 and w950 had 850 and US 3G, I'd have bought them! I have 3 of their phones, but not the top end ones due to the band issue.

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    yeah - that's why I like my e61 - it's a communication device rather than a PDA. Being in the UK, I get the best of both world's - 3g plus lots and lots of free wifi networks.
    Like I was saying before, wifi is important if you want international success for the Treo. If you want it to stay home, then fine, but that limits Palm greatly.

Yes, I agree that SE is seriously good with many features! If the w900 and w950 had 850 and US 3G, I'd have bought them! I have 3 of their phones, but not the top end ones due to the band issue.
    You are a lot more kind to SE than I am. Besides bluetooth and the nice cameras they include I have no use for them. I need a smartphone.

I am aware of the cost of wireless in Europe. I have offices over there. That's why I purchased a GSM devices instead of a CDMA device. Unfortunately I can't use wi-fi over there either due to the fact that PIE can't get past the security certificate in our offices. (This isn't a treo problem, it's a WM5 problem.) If I paid the bill myself I'd probably give up on wireless e-mail access entirely when you consider the cost of International Roaming.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    The w950i is a smartphone. So is the P990i(I think that's it). They're just not the Palm OS or WM5 Americans are used to. The w950i has I think 4GB storage built-in!! If only it had US bands, can't use 1900 alone on a smartphone!

The w900i you have has some great apps for a phone. It's a multi-media phone sure, but still cool!! If you don't want it, maybe I'll see how it works on T-Mobile.
    J/K, I think I offered before and you said you were keeping it.

Oh yeah, how much is Opera Mobile? It might be a better browser anyway! I know the full-size browser gets a lot of props. I'm going to try installing Opera Mini on my non-smartphones.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast