Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How about they update their features to what's current, instead of what debuted on other models last year and a half ago?! And also fix the aging OS? I'd be happy with that for beginners!
    Um, the 750 has UMTS which is pretty new technology for GSM users, and WM5 isn't really aging. Since WM is my preferred OS, I really don't care about POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Um, the 750 has UMTS which is pretty new technology for GSM users, and WM5 isn't really aging................
    Merely ill conceived and sponsored.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if the sherlock will have gps. The name sherlock does suggest a "search" or "investigative" device, no?

If they did add it with wifi as well, they just might have something.

But I don't think they will.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    What innovative idea are you guys looking for?

Personally, I am NOT expecting anything "innovative" in a newer model;that would be foolish of me; considering that each "new" device has the same "old" crap!

The 700p hasnt seen an update, yet as a 700p user, am I supposed to be doing back flipsfor something new? Let's face it, bluetooth is HORRIBLE.

I've said this before- put 25 Treo users in a room - every last one of them will have a different headset, and ALL of them will say that the one they use is the one you should use.

Ask yourself, how innovative is that?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Um, the 750 has UMTS which is pretty new technology for GSM users, and WM5 isn't really aging. Since WM is my preferred OS, I really don't care about POS.
    WOW! One thing. Still an old BT stack! Older camera. No built-in wifi.

P.S. I was thinking of Palm OS when I said they need to fix their old OS. I thought that was obvious because MSFT would have to upgrade WM5! And they did if WM6 is coming soon like reported, while Palm....
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think the PalmOS BT stack is relatively new, and was rewritten to allow multi-threading BT e.g. GPS and Voice at the same time.

Surur
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Just use Ringfo. No need for new hardware . Besides, camera phones can read barcodes, and future Palms powered by "Numentaware" will probably do all sorts of cool optical recognition ...

Ringfo is neat, but I'd tire of dialing and keying in stuff manually and waiting for the synthesized speech which is always too slow.

Until a phone comes with the capability built in and that works reasonably well and is reasonably easy enough for an average user to use, you won't see anyone but absolute geeks using it.

Using your phone's camera and having it to OCR it on the fly sounds like you'd only get it right about half the time (because of skew from holding the camera correctly, etc.).
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I'm wondering if the sherlock will have gps. The name sherlock does suggest a "search" or "investigative" device, no?
    That was just my suggestion in my earlier post, beat ya to it. ;-) And my thinking was the same "Sherlock, hmmm."

I actually do think it will have some search/investigative focus in the marketing -- whether it's some gimmicky thing or something truly cool, I don't know, but I don't think the codename (or model name?) is just random.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    WOW! One thing. Still an old BT stack! Older camera. No built-in wifi.

P.S. I was thinking of Palm OS when I said they need to fix their old OS. I thought that was obvious because MSFT would have to upgrade WM5! And they did if WM6 is coming soon like reported, while Palm....
    Palm did sell of the Palm OS for a couple of years before getting an unlimited license. I bet we'll see some improvements, but it still has the problem of being POS.

The bluetooth on my 750 might be 1.2, but it works better than the bluetooth 2.0 on my 8525. I mainly use it for listening to audio over my BT Stereo headphones, and the AVCRP (spelling?) works great on it whereas it didn't even work on my 8525. Sound quality and range is fantastic. I also use it for DUN and it worked on the first try.

Wifi - I know that not everyone agrees, but with 3G, what's the use of wifi? In a lot of hotels, wifi is $10/night unless you stay somewhere like the comfort inn (god forbid). At home or work? Well you'll most likely have your computer next to you or 10 feet away. I'd rather use my 19" flat widescreen than a 2.5" screen, but maybe that's just me. Otherwise, where do most mobile professionals need internet access? On the road! Sitting in an airport (where wifi is again like $10/day unless you pay $30-40/month for hotspot access), taxi rides, even the commute to the office (like my 1 hour train ride). Or even on the weekends - you're out and running around, and you want to go to dinner. You don't have the phone number to the place you want to dine at, but you do have your phone. Do you rush to find a wifi hotspot? Just look it up in 10 seconds with your cellular connection!

The camera could be better, as 2.0mp is the standard. Also maybe an LED flashlight. The picture quality on my 8525 wasn't all that great, so I never really used it anyways. Not until they make CCD lenses will I actually believe that good picture quality is possible.

Palm is now a two OS company. They have about the same number of treos for each OS - 700w, 700wx, 750 for wm5, 680, 700p and maybe the 650 (even though its bascally EOL now). Palm will continue to use WM for its higher end devices until they can figure out how to upgrade the POS, if that's even feasible from a cost/benefit perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus View Post
    That was just my suggestion in my earlier post, beat ya to it. ;-) And my thinking was the same "Sherlock, hmmm."

I actually do think it will have some search/investigative focus in the marketing -- whether it's some gimmicky thing or something truly cool, I don't know, but I don't think the codename (or model name?) is just random.
    I'm thinking the "mercedes" device will have GPS since it'll be Palm's flagship. The sherlock will probably be a 750 with an EVDO Rev. A. radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    Personally, I am NOT expecting anything "innovative" in a newer model;that would be foolish of me; considering that each "new" device has the same "old" crap!

The 700p hasnt seen an update, yet as a 700p user, am I supposed to be doing back flipsfor something new? Let's face it, bluetooth is HORRIBLE.

I've said this before- put 25 Treo users in a room - every last one of them will have a different headset, and ALL of them will say that the one they use is the one you should use.

Ask yourself, how innovative is that?
    They changed that problem with the 750, not sure about the 680 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Merely ill conceived and sponsored.
    Yes, except everything I couldn't do using my 650 I can do on my WM5 treo. I used a Treo 650 for a full year as my primary device (my sim card was in that phone for 99% of that time). I've also been using PPCphones for about 11 months now (starting with the 8125 in mid february '06). You've used POS devices, and have maybe toyed with WM devices?

The Palm OS is struggling to get out of the grave. The dirt keeps getting shoveled on top of it. Will Palm be able to revitalize it? Why even bother? Start from scratch. Palm won't be able to do anything innovative until it creates an entirely new OS that is not only capable of today's technology, but tomorrow's. The current Palm OS is not that OS. WM5 IS that OS, but it's not innovative, but it sure is powerful. Palm needs something COMPLETELY new.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think the PalmOS BT stack is relatively new, and was rewritten to allow multi-threading BT e.g. GPS and Voice at the same time.

Surur

For the 750, specs say 1.2. Aren't we at 2.0?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wifi - I know that not everyone agrees, but with 3G, what's the use of wifi? In a lot of hotels, wifi is $10/night unless you stay somewhere like the comfort inn (god forbid). At home or work?
    With the recent Sr. Wifi Engineer job posting at Palm and the mention of VoWLAN (Voice over Wireless Local Area Network), I think it wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination for Palm to create "One Phone" that seamlessly switches between cellular and WLAN networks, both for the enterprise and consumer markets. When you're at home or in the office, you could be in a Wifi environment and use VoIP to make and receive out of plan calls. This also raises the possiblity of Palm's offering their own VoIP service along with other groupware, the latter of which it looks like they're now building in-house after Motorola's acquisition of Good.

Palm is looking for a Software Automation Developer to intelligently test and assess the quality of its upcoming email and groupware products.
    Emphasis mine.

Colligan hinted that having a high speed wireless connection "to your pocket" could allow Palm to connect to their customers in new and exciting ways by offering client/server based services, echoing Jeff Hawkins' original tease about Palm's "secret third business". I highly recommend listening to the Churchill Club Breakfast with CEO Ed Colligan and Michael Mace's Understanding Palm: What Ed Colligan really said.

Ed Colligan:

"They (users) have a high-speed connection...to their pocket...Boy, is there things we can deliver to them, and is there compelling experiences that we can deliver to them, that are going to help us differentiate our products? I think there are, and we're working on things like that."

Michael Mace's take:

Same vague hints that Palm has been giving for a year: Broadband modem, lots of local storage, think what we could do for that. What I think I'm hearing is: A mobile product with WiFi, which Palm pairs with Web services that deliver content and do other things for the user. I wish I knew what those things are -- that'll be the interesting part.

I'm thinking context and location awareness, to which I'd also add that Colligan said the following when questioned about future GPS-enabled Palm handhelds at around 43 minutes and 12 seconds:

"That's one of them, no question....And the usage, that's going to be one of the really interesting discovery points of new usage and how do I use the fact that I know where I am... that other things know where I am, or other systems know where I am and that I opt-in to let them know where I am?"

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 01/20/2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add links, grammar
    Palm did sell of the Palm OS for a couple of years before getting an unlimited license. I bet we'll see some improvements, but it still has the problem of being POS. Forget about the Palm OS for now, it's the same rehashed version over and over. It's only hope is if Mobile OS X(yeah, I know people don't agree on this) doesn't do as well as they think it will. Because if it does, barely anyone except die hards will ever want to use Palm OS again!

The bluetooth on my 750 might be 1.2, but it works better than the bluetooth 2.0 on my 8525. I mainly use it for listening to audio over my BT Stereo headphones, and the AVCRP (spelling?) works great on it whereas it didn't even work on my 8525. Sound quality and range is fantastic. I also use it for DUN and it worked on the first try. I suspect Cingular crippled something on their branded version. Guess I gotta dish out for a TyTN.

Wifi - I know that not everyone agrees, but with 3G, what's the use of wifi? In a lot of hotels, wifi is $10/night unless you stay somewhere like the comfort inn (god forbid). At home or work? Well you'll most likely have your computer next to you or 10 feet away. I'd rather use my 19" flat widescreen than a 2.5" screen, but maybe that's just me. Otherwise, where do most mobile professionals need internet access? On the road! Sitting in an airport (where wifi is again like $10/day unless you pay $30-40/month for hotspot access), taxi rides, even the commute to the office (like my 1 hour train ride). Or even on the weekends - you're out and running around, and you want to go to dinner. You don't have the phone number to the place you want to dine at, but you do have your phone. Do you rush to find a wifi hotspot? Just look it up in 10 seconds with your cellular connection! Be prepared to pay huge data costs if you travel, with no wifi. Nokia and HTC can do both 3G and wifi, why not Palm?

The camera could be better, as 2.0mp is the standard. Also maybe an LED flashlight. The picture quality on my 8525 wasn't all that great, so I never really used it anyways. Not until they make CCD lenses will I actually believe that good picture quality is possible.Ever see a picture taken by a Sony Ericsson phone? Those pics are usable if you need to shoot on the fly.

Palm is now a two OS company. They have about the same number of treos for each OS - 700w, 700wx, 750 for wm5, 680, 700p and maybe the 650 (even though its bascally EOL now). Palm will continue to use WM for its higher end devices until they can figure out how to upgrade the POS, if that's even feasible from a cost/benefit perspective.
    My thoughts above in red.

16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    In regards to wi-fi - if Palm want to concentrate on the US market only - fine wi-fi is not a problem but if they want to compete in europe, they need wi-fi.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Wifi - I know that not everyone agrees, but with 3G, what's the use of wifi?...
    I wish we could dispense with this pointless debate. Suffice it to say that some find WiFi cheaper than 3G while others the opposite. For many, the one they don't care about/want is the one that may not even be available to them where they travel (e.g. lack of convenient WiFi hotspots, T-Mobile users who couldn't get 3G w/out switching carriers).

Enough, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    I wish we could dispense with this pointless debate. Suffice it to say that some find WiFi cheaper than 3G while others the opposite. For many, the one they don't care about/want is the one that may not even be available to them where they travel (e.g. lack of convenient WiFi hotspots, T-Mobile users who couldn't get 3G w/out switching carriers).

Enough, please?
    I think the debate is improperly focusing on WiFi "hotspots" (Starbucks, airports, hotels, etc), and we should be focusing our debate within the context of home and enterprise WLAN/WiFi environments. Again, during the Churchill Club breakfast with Ed Colligan, Ed mentions the limited availability of wide area WiFi hotspot coverage, other than campuses for example, and that it will take quite a long time for WiFi/WIMAX coverage to become ubiquitous. It sounds like they plan on using WiFi in other ways, so we have to ask: What kinds of compelling services and experiences will Palm provide to its users with WiFi (within the context of home or enterprise WLAN) in their next generation of mobile computing devices?

Remember, in the end, Palm's philosophy isn't about protocols and adding features to their hardware specs for the sake of marketing bullet points and feature comparison matrices with competing products, it's about the user experience, utility, productivity, and services they can provide to their users.

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 01/20/2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Speaking of wi-fi ... I finally decided to try and use the wi-fi in my 8125 at my office. PIE couldn't get passed the authentication certificate. If it couldn't accept the certificate for the SSL page for me to login then it's worse than useless. (I say worse than useless because turning it without being able to authenticate on killed my push e-mail over EDGE.)

If I downloaded Opera then I could log in and work just fine. I'm not going to download (and pay for) Opera just to authenticate with my office wi-fi though. So .. wi-fi is back to the theoretically useful feature list (for me anyway).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I'll say this again, this might be Cingular's doing. I debranded one of my other phones and saw all the stuff they disabled.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast