Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you'll continue to pay $400+ for small improvements?
    Yep I sure will, as long as the Treo's resale value continues to be 90% or better!

Com'on folks there hasn’t been anything "leaked" other than words, and we have already condemned the "rumored" 755. Can we wait just a little while longer before we start throwing stones at the poor little Guy. Incremental upgrades is the name of the consumer business. You see it in electronics, automobiles, computers, video Games (not the systems) and yes cell/PDA phones. The avg life span for a PDA phone is 6 months to a year. With a life span that short it would be crazy to radically change the format every year. As I see it, Palm has had 2 major evolutions of the Treo. The 180-300 series, and the 600-750 series. Palm will release its “1000” series device by years end. This will mark the 3rd major evolution of the Treo. But once it is released, you can expect years of incremental upgrades to follow. I expect the iphone to follow the same trend as the Treo’s. Look at the ipod, the original concept has remained the same. Over time apple added a color screen, more memory, and made it thinner. Sound familiar???
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    in this is not on topic but i have had the 650 for ever with the bluetooth app for modem but today updated from 1.04 to 1.05 and my FAVORITE feature is gone please give me hope and direction
    And people have criticized Apple for that too. That's why many still have their OLD iPods. Look at the last "update", LOL!!! A brighter screen, a search function and somewhat improved battery life. Stuff they could have put on the first video iPod generation!! And an 80GB for those who need it. However, they did reduce the price, at least they had some sense.

But many people are NOT going to throw down $300-$400 every time some little update comes along, and both Palm and Apple better realize that!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you'll continue to pay $400+ for small improvements?
    well, what i will do is what i have done. i got the 700p from sprint retentions for $399 and used it from the end of may until the release of the 700wx which was 9/1. i then sold the 700p on ebay for $438. i then called up retentions and got the wx for $399. so i upgraded or changed phones for no money. in fact i made $39. i did this same type thing when going from the ppc6700 to the 700p. that time i actually paid $50 difference.

what i will do this time is sell my wx for just about what i paid for it ($400) and call retentions and try my luck. no gurantee, but i'm sure i wont pay to much more than what i sell my wx for.

so no, i wouldn't pay $400+ for small improvements. i would pay a few bucks though.
    Unless you consider a WM phone better than a Palm OS one, what exactly was the "small improvement" over a 700p?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I have a feeling the "palm sherlock" is going to be a very "elementary" phone.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Aren't we getting to the same stage here as we did with the hand-helds ? Where the T3 was the end of the line for many people because the upgrade path was so marginal that people didn't bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Aren't we getting to the same stage here as we did with the hand-helds ? Where the T3 was the end of the line for many people because the upgrade path was so marginal that people didn't bother?
    More like downgrade path. Remember the T5.

Notice the list. The Sherlock is not "replacing" anything like the others. This is something "new" to Sprint. Should not be incremental.

Although, the name makes it sound like a toy not a tool. That's why it "sounds" low end.

Or, maybe it had WiFi. Somebody at Palm finally said "maybe they would like Wifi". The other said good job "Sherlock"?
    Patrick Horne
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    heh- having said all that - it appears my next phone upgrade will be "marginal" -

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/16/n...ose-and-shiny/
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    and the previously-unmentioned Palm Sherlock (a CDMA version of the 680 or 750, we'd wager).

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...1h-07-roadmap/
    Biting my tongue.
    I'm pretty happy with Palm's products. The Treo 750 fits my needs perfectly and it just works. Palm and Apple are going by the motto of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Treo form factor is solid. You can't see huge innovations all the time, it's like expecting a company to consistently maintain 20% growth year over year forever. It won't happen forever, and it'll go in cycles.

What innovative idea are you guys looking for? Palm could do something drastic and people here would still say oh that's not that innovative, my _____ device can already do that, I don't need my phone to do that. Or it'll change stuff around and people will complain that functionality will change. It seems that a lot of the crowd here will never be anywhere near pleased. That's your problem I guess.
    It would be pretty innovative for Palm to match the prevailing standard e.g. WIFI G, 2 Megapixel camera, LED flash, HSDPA. Adding GPS will put them completely over the top.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    What innovative idea are you guys looking for?
    Sleeker form-factor; sexier UI; better default apps; VGA screen; 2GB memory; and a stable, multi-tasking OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    It would be pretty innovative for Palm to match the prevailing standard e.g. WIFI G, 2 Megapixel camera, LED flash, HSDPA. Adding GPS will put them completely over the top.

Surur
    It would certainly be an accomplishment. It might even be a unique feature set. That does not amount to "innovative." One can make that list but one could not have predicted the iPhone; lots tried. The iPhone is more than the collection of its features.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I think they will partner with Google and offer a "total search solution" integrating Google web search, something akin to Google Desktop On The Go, and location data (GPS) when applicable. You will have access to "your world" (personal documents and files) by having your computer either synced periodically to Google or Palm hosted web servers, or if your computer is always on, by a new interface to Google Desktop that communicates metadata to the Google / Palm hosted server. If a search hit is a personal file, you will be able to download it on the fly to your Palm if it's not already there and view it or edit it, either directly from the Google / Palm hosted server or indirectly by the Google / Palm server fetching the file from your computer via Google Desktop Engine.

GPS information could be used to automatically find the nearest ATM or nearest restaurants or whatever -- sort of like Google Maps on steroids.

Another possible feature would be they could add a cheap barcode scanner (remember those CueCat scanners? proof you can make a cheap barcode scanner) that could scan in UPC barcodes, access an online database to determine the product and pass that information to a customized version of Google's "Froogle" application for comparison shopping, or else to Google search for product reviews. I can't tell you how many times I've done that manually while out shopping, especially looking for product reviews. It is a slow process especially on my 650 on T-Mobile's slow EDGE network, but this would work great on Sprint's EVDO connection.
    Last edited by trellus; 01/19/2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added more content
    Given that pikesoft.com is telling us to expect a Linux-based Treo in 2007, maybe we should just all take a 10 minute walk around the block to catch our collective sanity. Steve Jobs isn't the anti-Christ or the anti-anti-Christ. The iPhone is not the One True Phone to Rule Us All. Maybe Palm, Inc. ain't populated by Dim Bulbs. Maybe it's time for lunch. Hey. I'll take my 650 and browse the fabulous light version of TC while I'm having my chicken kebab plate and soda, $8.75.
    Here I am!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm pretty happy with Palm's products. The Treo 750 fits my needs perfectly and it just works. Palm and Apple are going by the motto of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Treo form factor is solid. You can't see huge innovations all the time, it's like expecting a company to consistently maintain 20% growth year over year forever. It won't happen forever, and it'll go in cycles.

What innovative idea are you guys looking for? Palm could do something drastic and people here would still say oh that's not that innovative, my _____ device can already do that, I don't need my phone to do that. Or it'll change stuff around and people will complain that functionality will change. It seems that a lot of the crowd here will never be anywhere near pleased. That's your problem I guess.
    How about they update their features to what's current, instead of what debuted on other models last year and a half ago?! And also fix the aging OS? I'd be happy with that for beginners!

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    heh- having said all that - it appears my next phone upgrade will be "marginal" -

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/16/n...ose-and-shiny/
    The E61 ruled though! 3G, quad-band, wifi, EDGE, great operating system(regardless of what people say about Symbian), etc. Nokia is allowed a pass. Palm needs update help, they do not know what the word means. They gave us 3G, but overlooked a whole lot of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by trellus View Post
    Another possible feature would be they could add a cheap barcode scanner (remember those CueCat scanners? proof you can make a cheap barcode scanner) that could scan in UPC barcodes, access an online database to determine the product and pass that information to a customized version of Google's "Froogle" application for comparison shopping, or else to Google search for product reviews. I can't tell you how many times I've done that manually while out shopping, especially looking for product reviews. It is a slow process especially on my 650 on T-Mobile's slow EDGE network, but this would work great on Sprint's EVDO connection.
    Just use Ringfo. No need for new hardware . Besides, camera phones can read barcodes, and future Palms powered by "Numentaware" will probably do all sorts of cool optical recognition ...
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast