Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Perhaps a better solution would be for all 3rd party apps to have to be submitted to the vendor, blessed for quality and then "signed". (for a fee). It would provide the best of both worlds: A 3rd party development path AND the stability of no-third party apps.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Perhaps a better solution would be for all 3rd party apps to have to be submitted to the vendor, blessed for quality and then "signed". (for a fee). It would provide the best of both worlds: A 3rd party development path AND the stability of no-third party apps.
    That doesn't sound like an "open platform". Considering Palm's history of supporting "open platforms" and their recent hire of Paul Mercer and his One Plea for More Open Cell Phone Platforms, I think Palm won't go down the road of "signing" appliations unless they use specific proprietary (closed) APIs.

Here's how that article concludes:

Mercer, for one, is impatient for developers to be able to make more of this data traffic. To him, tipping toward more open, PC-like APIs and standards is the only way to go.

“I hope you don’t think I’m too crazy talking about this,” Mercer said near the end of the interview, finally tempering his vitriol. “I just get unhinged when I talk about the Silicon Valley as a whole, and the entire PC world, being by and large shut out of the phone business. It’s bad for innovation.”
    Here's another quote, (paraphrasing, with comments by Michael Mace in italics) this time from Ed Colligan, that also indicates Palm wants an open platform and the benefits of the developer community:

Is Linux in Palm's future? We look at Linux as being an interesting community to leverage. (He then branched to a discussion of Palm OS.) There are a lot of users who have loyalty to Palm OS and love it. "We want to take the Palm OS forward." That little quote makes a lot more sense now that we know he was in the process of buying rights to Palm OS Garnet. But what does he mean by leveraging the Linux community?
    Leveraging the Linux community by building a next-gen "open platform" PalmOS based on a Linux kernel?

That's what I believe he meant.

Brian
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    That's a solid idea, phonediva.
    The garmin nuvi gps devices come preloaded with applications just like those you've listed, and that coupled with its form factor and reliablility has put it leaps and bounds over its competition.

Bundled within the garmin travel kit are:
    1) the language converter
    2) bilingual dictionaries
    3) currency converter
    4) travel guide
    5) saversguide
    6) audible book player
    7) measurement converter

All of these types of applications can be incredibly useful for those who travel frequently.

Palm should have followed suit with the treos, especially since they purport to be a "mobile computing" company.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The one thing I disagree with him on is the closed system. Some 3rd party apps on phones like these are often necessary.

Some examples. World Mate for those who travel on business constantly, for instance. A good English dictionary. A language dictionary for those who travel. A currency converter. Mileage calculator. I could go on. Many 3rd party apps are frivolous, but not all.

I agree for you, me and most folks on this board a closed system would be horrible. But for volume business and government buyers, that is what they want. If an IT guy is responsible for making sure 1000 pda/smartphones are working, he does not want 1000 different configurations and 1000 different combos of apps to deal with in order to try and figure out what is going wrong when some VPs phone freezes up on him

Now if Palm had made a closed-Treo, then they would have had to really thought long and hard abouit essential apps to put on it, like a currency converter and so forth. But the original mostly-closed BB is what took the business world. Palm could have countered that at almost no additional development or hardware cost but failed to do so.

Again WE would not have wanted the hobbled-Treo, but a lot of business buyers would have, and that would have given Palm the resources to survive and build Treos that WE want
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    .......Second, Palm never understood the REAL attaction of the Blackberry. Push email was big for end users, but they did not make the decision what to buy. What was the key factor for the real decision makers is that it was ***** proof and that is what the IT guys at big companies wanted. Plam could have easily come out with a Treo that was loaded with all the apps that business folks needed, power-programs that BBs didnt have built in, real web-browsing, plus a few goodies like some games but be "closed" to 3rd-Party apps, or at least very-very restricted (ie only new apps that could be put on would have to come directly from Palm). That would be horrible for most people that are on this site, but that is what business and government wanted. I personally know the guy that made the decision to order thousands of Blackberries for the State of Missouri. HE was a Treo user, but it scared the heck out of him to think about all the problems he would have as guys loaded the 15th version of Tetris on their phones that caused conflicts, resets and lock-ups. He wanted phones that would all have the exact same apps on them all the time so he didnt have to worry about it. This "simple" treo should have had no camera, maybe not even an SD card. I would not have wanted it, but it could have been a BB killer early on.......
    However true this may be, it is irrelevant if one believes, as Palm seems to, that the carriers, not the user and certainly not enterprise IT, are the decision makers.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    However true this may be, it is irrelevant if one believes, as Palm seems to, that the carriers, not the user and certainly not enterprise IT, are the decision makers.
    As for the individual users that Palm is used to dealing with*, the Carriers ARE their customers. We may not like it but it is so. As long as US customers expect/demand subsidized phones it will be the carriers that call the shots for the traditional smartphone end-user.

BUT Palm IMO missed out on a brand new customer group, the big company group buyer. They wanted different things than Sprint and the like but Palm didnt adjust fast enough

*Actually right after Palm took over Handspring, you could sense a disconnect between those at Palm who viewed the carriers as the customer (phone types) vrs those that still thought in terms of sales to individuals (PDA types). Needless to say, the phone types won
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Palm has historically never been one for "trade-ins". If so, they'd give some lame $50 to $100 discount for the traded-in 700p. Even if a new model comes out and the 700p is EOL'd, it could still be sold on E-Bay for at least
    2x whatever Palm would give on a lame trade in rebate.

They gave me $150 for my Like New Treo 650 (but it took 6 months to get the check; I will not do that again)!
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    That's a solid idea, phonediva.
    The garmin nuvi gps devices come preloaded with applications just like those you've listed, and that coupled with its form factor and reliablility has put it leaps and bounds over its competition.

Bundled within the garmin travel kit are:
    Palm should have followed suit with the treos, especially since they purport to be a "mobile computing" company.

As much as I enjoy an included app or two, Palm does it in a way that I would prefer they either don't bother - OR put it on a CD so I can choose to install it (or update it).

Consider:

-Treo 700p released with Docs to Go 8.001 in ROM and no way to update it to version 8.003 (current version on the day of release). 10 months later and we're stuck with it in ROM *AND* RAM (if we use it). No choice.

-Dumbed-down version of Pocket Tunes jammed into ROM. For the many that have a license to a better version, they're stuck with the outdated ROM version. No choice again.

-Buggy, outdated version of Multimail/Versamail permanently stuck in ROM - whether you use Snappermail or another mail program or simply the current version - that ROM version is in your way and creating ghost files to fill up your RAM. No choice yet once more.

-All the cr@p the carrier (or Palm?) included in ROM like "downloads" and that rebadged version of Handmark Express, etc. Again and again - no choice.

Maybe the best solution would be for Palm to plan for (or sell us the "option" to) access some portion of that ROM in some manageable fashion. If only to install "approved" apps that they could "digitally sign" or something.

The useless Treo 700p applications in ROM are like hauling a big smelly bag of garbage around in the trunk of your car for 10 months and counting - you can do it, but as more and more time passes you wonder WTF you stuck it in your trunk in the first place, and when you will will be allowed to dump it to free up space for the things you actually might want in your trunk.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Fantastic idea. I completely agree.
    Palm has consistently prided themselves on making highly customizable devices for the individual's needs. Your idea would take that to a new level.

time to catch up on my zzz's here, but Ill think about that a bit more tomorrow.. You're on the right track.
    Nice, I'm glad to see things getting a bit more concrete for the 755p. I still don't think this is really much of an upgrade from the 700p. If I already had a 700p I know I certainly wouldn't trade it in for this. But since I'm still on my 650, the 755p looks to be my next Treo.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    cue the pink panther music.... the "clusoe" approaches...

will it be a "bemb" or da bomb?
    So, does anyone know: what dimesnsions will the 755p have... the 680's?...the 750's, or something 'new'? Only a silly mm or 2 difference, I know, but just curious.
    The 680 and 750 have exactly the same dimensions, 2.3 x 4.4 x 0.8 inches. The only difference between them is weight, and that's only 0.1 ounces. I'm pretty sure the 755p will have the same dimensions and similar weight to the 680 and 750.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 04/27/2007 at 02:16 PM.
    OK, thanks. I was looking at the comparisons on PhoneScoop -- they show:

680: 4.40" x 2.30" x 0.80" (112 x 58 x 20 mm)
    750: 4.37" x 2.28" x 0.87" (111 x 58 x 22 mm)
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    OK, thanks. I was looking at the comparisons on PhoneScoop -- they show:

680: 4.40" x 2.30" x 0.80" (112 x 58 x 20 mm)
    750: 4.37" x 2.28" x 0.87" (111 x 58 x 22 mm)
    Hmm, now I'm not sure what to think. Palm shows that they have the same dimensions (the ones I posted), however Seidio makes different Super Slim Hard Cases for the 680 and 750. If they have the same dimensions, why make different cases? Unless there's a cut out for the SIM card in the 680, I don't know why they'd need to be different.