Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    I hear ya, the 700p was my first Treo, upgraded from a 5 yr old Nokia dumb phone. If all this is true about EOL for the 700p maybe Palm wil have some sort of trade-up program for 700p users to the new sherlock.
    That trade up program better be an even trade, at this point given the lack of support for any of the issues on the 700p, I would expect nothing less (not that it means we'll actually get it).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you'll continue to pay $400+ for small improvements?
    My 700p was about $650.00 by the time I made it out the door. I guess the case could be made about Craigslisting the previous model for a couple hundred dollars or so, making it around net $400.

The only reason to upgrade to the 700p from the 650 was the increased RAM. Got a whole bunch of lag and dropping bluetooth in the bargain (ok, and EVDO and mandatory contract change). $400 is a hell of a lot of money to pay for what is essentially about 32MB of RAM.

So this "Sherlock" will somehow take the place of the 700p, eh? The he11 if I'm living another year with the 700p waiting on my contract to expire so I can get a phone that works reliably with a bluetooth headset and doesn't make me wait a minute in order to view a website.

Maybe Windows Mobile *IS* the future - but if Palm's support can be gauged by the way they treat their present PalmOS customers, then they'll be extremely fortunate if they sell 10% of us on their WinceMob devices. With PalmOS, they have no competition - with WinceMob they're just one of gazillions of companies pumping out clones. If I'm stuck buying WinceMob, I'll try my best to buy it from a company that actually stands behind their products and doesn't have a philosophy of "support" = "buy our new model, sucker."
    Last edited by Joad; 02/28/2007 at 12:52 AM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Well I don't know if it's true or not, but that's basically the excuse given by the Palm rep to the Treocentral 700p users who signed and set a letter to Palm complaining about their bugs. I can see how the hardware architecture could be a problem for Palm OS and not WM5. But if so, that's clearly Palm's fault, couldn't they see that before releasing and selling the product.

As a bonfide WM5 basher I will say the the latest Motorola Q is a much smoother product than any Palm WM Treo I've tried. With the latest firmware this thing just works. The bluetooth works (great), the stereo works, DUN works, the phone works, etc.. I've been surprised that I like IE on it better than the Treo version, and even Agenda One runs smoother on it than the Treo 750.

I still plan to move to the iPhone when released, but I'm finding it hard to fault the Q. It works as promised unlike my experiences with Palm in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I personally think thats another Palm lie. OK, I dont know hardware, but I cant think what demands WM could make that would not benefit a PalmOS device either, such as faster NAND, more RAM etc. I suspect they just gave out that excuse because WM is an easy scapegoat.

Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Well said. I prefer Palm OS, but gave up on the 700p due to the same problems. I tried the 680 but it had lag (not quite as bad as the 700p) and other stability problems. I returned it before my 30 days was up. I got a Motorola Q two weeks ago. It was released about the same time as the 700p. In that time Palm has done zero updates for the 700p. Motorola has released two major firmware upgrades including bluetooth DUN, bluetooth stereo, and lots of fixes.

The Q works great now. I tried it when it was first released and it had problems. But now it works pretty well. That's how a company stands behind it's product and wins customers. I remember at a recent conference Ed Colligan refered to the Q as a failure. If this is a failure, I'm going to start buying from losing companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    So this "Sherlock" will somehow take the place of the 700p, eh? The he11 if I'm living another year with the 700p waiting on my contract to expire so I can get a phone that works reliably with a bluetooth headset and doesn't make me wait a minute in order to view a website.

Maybe Windows Mobile *IS* the future - but if Palm's support can be gauged by the way they treat their present PalmOS customers, then they'll be extremely fortunate if they sell 10% of us on their WinceMob devices. With PalmOS, they have no competition - with WinceMob they're just one of gazillions of companies pumping out clones. If I'm stuck buying WinceMob, I'll try my best to buy it from a company that actually stands behind their products and doesn't have a philosophy of "support" = "buy our new model, sucker."
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    I hear ya, the 700p was my first Treo, upgraded from a 5 yr old Nokia dumb phone. If all this is true about EOL for the 700p maybe Palm wil have some sort of trade-up program for 700p users to the new sherlock.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Well said. I prefer Palm OS, but gave up on the 700p due to the same problems. I tried the 680 but it had lag (not quite as bad as the 700p) and other stability problems. I returned it before my 30 days was up. I got a Motorola Q two weeks ago. It was released about the same time as the 700p. In that time Palm has done zero updates for the 700p. Motorola has released two major firmware upgrades including bluetooth DUN, bluetooth stereo, and lots of fixes.

The Q works great now. I tried it when it was first released and it had problems. But now it works pretty well. That's how a company stands behind it's product and wins customers. I remember at a recent conference Ed Colligan refered to the Q as a failure. If this is a failure, I'm going to start buying from losing companies.
    Ed C also said that the iPhone would be nothing to worry about. I'm starting to think he's delusional. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Please inform Chicken Little that sometimes the sky actually is falling...

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Yes, there is a fine line between cheerleading and believing your own B.S. Not sure which category Ed is in.

Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Ed C also said that the iPhone would be nothing to worry about. I'm starting to think he's delusional. :-)
    Yes, there is a fine line between cheerleading and believing your own B.S. Not sure which category Ed is in.
    It does not make a difference. Palm is supposed to be a mature company. It is no longer a startup and is no longer entitled to the slack that we cut startups. For mature companies, BS has no value and execution is all that counts. If Palm is not ready to play with the big dogs, it should hide under the porch and keep quiet.
    So does Q support EVDO? Maybe I should get a Q then...
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon View Post
    So does Q support EVDO? Maybe I should get a Q then...
    It does support EVDO. However, it is WM w/ only 64M of memory.
    If you actually listen to what Ed Colligan really said you'd hear that he wasn't dismissive of the iPhone and never said that it would be "nothing to worry about".

I guess it's easier to slam him for something that he didn't say than to take the time to listen to what he really said in order to understand the full context of the question and his actual answer, not one that has been mischaracterized in different articles.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    For mature companies, BS has no value and execution is all that counts. If Palm is not ready to play with the big dogs, it should hide under the porch and keep quiet.
    In the same interview, Ed talks about reading the book Good to Great and having the rest of Palm's management team read the book, which talks about with execution and how Palm needs to execute better.

From Michael Mace's article:

Required reading for Palm executives. Colligan is having the Palm executive team read the book "From Good to Great" because it focuses on execution and is very practical. "What we need to do better is disciplined execution." (Shortly after his talk, Palm announced that it would have an earnings shortfall because a product was coming to market late. So you can understand why he's focused on execution.)
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/28/2007 at 07:10 PM.
    It's also easier to slam me before you know what I'm talking about.

yes, I paraphrased ... but he said something very similar to this *before* the release of the iPhone.

I'll find the quote later if I have time. (In a cinema now)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    It's also easier to slam me before you know what I'm talking about.

yes, I paraphrased ... but he said something very similar to this *before* the release of the iPhone.

Did you follow the links? These are the statements he made *before* the iPhone was announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    If you actually listen to what Ed Colligan really said you'd hear that he wasn't dismissive of the iPhone and never said that it would be "nothing to worry about".

I guess it's easier to slam him for something that he didn't say than to take the time to listen to what he really said in order to understand the full context of the question and his actual answer, not one that has been mischaracterized in different articles.

In the same interview, Ed talks about reading the book Good to Great and having the rest of Palm's management team read the book, which talks about with execution and how Palm needs to execute better.

From Michael Mace's article:
    Excellent points, sounds like people were literally putting words in Colligan's mouth. Seems like the chief exec of Palm has a pretty level head on his shoulders.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, someone with a level-head and sound business mind would NEVER let their company ship out products in such a sorry state as the T5, Treo 650, and LifeDrive were at launch. The 700p's not far behind those dubious efforts.

It IS worth noting that the T5 and 650 became fairly solid devices after several updates for each model. Even the LifeDrive became almost usable after its "big" 2.0 update. That's why I am still holding out a very small glimmer of hope that the 700p can be fixed. Otherwise, I'll just punish Palm by throwing some more $ at them when/if the Sherlock hits Verizon this summer.
    And this is bad how? I haven't run into any issues in two weeks. I think for a phone / bluetooth connection / wireless modem / contacts / calendar / browser device it does fine. I rather have something that does those things great rather than the ultimate PDA that only does each one so so. I haven't seen any memory issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    It does support EVDO. However, it is WM w/ only 64M of memory.

I wonder if he said the same thing about the Blackjack being that its similar to the Q? That model is also beating the crap out the Treo's popularity!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The movie was that boring?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I haven't tried the Blackjack since I've heard lots of negative things about it's bluetooth (which is my biggest problem area with the Treo).

However in terms of company support, people were complaining about battery life. It now comes with both a standard and an extended battery free. Cingular is also giving a free extended battery to existing customers. What is Palm doing for 680 owners complaining about poor battery life? Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I wonder if he said the same thing about the Blackjack being that its similar to the Q? That model is also beating the crap out the Treo's popularity!