Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I am very curious to see if we will indeed be looking at a palm sherlock - a winning new flagship, or what turns out to be a palm grimlock, something that will underwhelm.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    If the Sherlock has one of the following, I'm in:

1) EVDO Rev A
    2) GPS
    3) 320x480

Let's not even consider a multi-tasking OS. I doubt it will include any of these features.

Is it possible that there's a new Treo scheduled for release in May and we haven't seen it yet?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I really can't believe that EOL of 700P is anything soon. But if that is the case is seem only logical that is Sherlock is a 750 with Garnet guts. Even the 650 was around for a while after the 700 release.
    Well there's part of me that wants to believe that Palm is pushing out a new flagship device with there newly found control of Garnet
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Here are my predictions:

-Palm OS Garnet 5.5 (the first iteration of Garnet where Palm's really been able to work their "magic" on it)
    -Same formfactor as the 750 but without the soft touch paint
    -MiniSD--no mention of Mini-SDHC compatibility for the time being but it will unofficially work with HC cards just like the 680 does.
    -64mb of RAM most likely but 128mb is a possibility. I could also see Palm doing a Tungsten T5-style 64mb of RAM + an internal storage drive (1gb?) since flash prices are so low nowadays.
    -Lag issues of the 700p and 680 are fixed.
    -Unchanged 320x320 screen
    -Bluetooth 1.2 or 2.0 "fixed" from the flaky 700p & 680 but still no A2DP
    -Native voice dialing app tied to side button
    -Improved 1.3mp camera or possibly a grainy 2mp camera. No flash.
    -New phone app from the 680
    -No wi-fi capabilities for the time being. However, I would NOT rule out Palm releasing a self-branded wi-fi miniSDIO card next year and then releasing drivers exclusively for it.
    -Solid software bundle--DTG 9, Vista-compliant Palm Desktop software, probably a new Palm media player type app for videos, latest version of PTunes etc.

I doubt it'll support EVDO Rev A but OS optimizations and a better radio should make for better voice quality/reception and slightly improved data throughput in the way the 680 improved on the 650.

I think they'll price this one more attractively from the start ($300-$350 w/ 2 year contract) and might be released concurrent with a 680 price drop. Heck, this one might even be a Sprint exclusive for the time being since I keep hearing rumblings that Verizon is not too happy with Palm due to the supposed high number of 700w and 700p returns over the past year.

Palm seems content to let Palm OS "settle" into a low-midrange OS and keep WinMob on their higher end devices. The fact that the new Palm GPS kit just came out and has a miniSD card bundled with it is almost a sure sign that Palm's transitioning to miniSD just for the sake of change and that this Sherlock/750p (and any future) devices will have it.

Also, Palm could then churn out a 760 WinMob modem (in both GSM & CDMA flavors) running Windows Mobile 6 later this year but with the same hardware (or at least same LCD & formfactor).

I'd also figure on maybe one final low-midrange PDA (either a Z22 replacement with miniSD slot or an E2 replacement with a few mild improvements) running Garnet before Palm pulls the plug on the line entirely.

Palm's probably looking to pare the lineup down to two POS Treos (680 and the Sherlock), two WinMob Treos (750 and 750 successor with 320x320 and WM6), and two POS handhelds (some mix of Z22 or E2 replacement(s) and TX) to appear appealing to potential suitors looking to buy the company.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    If the Sherlock has one of the following, I'm in:

1) EVDO Rev A
    2) GPS
    3) 320x480

Let's not even consider a multi-tasking OS. I doubt it will include any of these features.

Is it possible that there's a new Treo scheduled for release in May and we haven't seen it yet?

I doubt Rev A is in the cards-- it's also capable of simultaneous voice and data, like WCDMA, so if Palm OS can't handle it, it can't handle it.

As for us not seeing prototypes of a new Treo, is it possible that it's so similar to current treos that we just haven't noticed? Palm's not exactly known for innovation these days .
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well it is - with WM6 on that - but it matches my current expection of "innovation" at palm.
    LOL.
    What's wrong with the soft-touch paint?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    There's nothing inherently "wrong" with soft touch paint (unless you bought the original blue, peeling Zire 72!), it's just a small touch that *I FEEL* Palm would probably omit from the POS Treo in order to make the WinMob Treo appear more upmarket.

Now that WinMob 6 supports 320x320 screens, Palm can release essentially the same device in POS & WinMob 6 flavors, price them $50-$100 apart, and have the WinMob version distinguished by its more modern, multitasking OS, tricks like A2DP that POS doesn't support, and of course the luster of the M$ & "Windows" branding.

CIOs & corporate purchasers are going to buy the Microsoft-backed solution anyway, so Palm/Verizon/Sprint etc. might as well make it a 2-tiered solution. In that light, it makes good sense ( especially for the domestic CDMA market) for Palm OS to be the choice for budget users, OS-agnostic users, and of course the Palm OS faithful. Palm OS faithful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    I doubt Rev A is in the cards-- it's also capable of simultaneous voice and data, like WCDMA, so if Palm OS can't handle it, it can't handle it.

As for us not seeing prototypes of a new Treo, is it possible that it's so similar to current treos that we just haven't noticed? Palm's not exactly known for innovation these days .
    I agree on the Rev A. I was just stating that it WOULD be a major improvement IF it were included.
    As for the leaks, at least the form factor would be different (750-ish), so we would know if we were staring at another device.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Various issues with the 700p are being blamed on the fact that it uses the same basic hardware architecture as the 700w/700wx (lags, bluetooth) that apparently are issues with Palm OS.

Why would you think a second attempt at doing this would work better?

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    There's nothing inherently "wrong" with soft touch paint (unless you bought the original blue, peeling Zire 72!), it's just a small touch that *I FEEL* Palm would probably omit from the POS Treo in order to make the WinMob Treo appear more upmarket.

Now that WinMob 6 supports 320x320 screens, Palm can release essentially the same device in POS & WinMob 6 flavors, price them $50-$100 apart, and have the WinMob version distinguished by its more modern, multitasking OS, tricks like A2DP that POS doesn't support, and of course the luster of the M$ & "Windows" branding.

CIOs & corporate purchasers are going to buy the Microsoft-backed solution anyway, so Palm/Verizon/Sprint etc. might as well make it a 2-tiered solution. In that light, it makes good sense ( especially for the domestic CDMA market) for Palm OS to be the choice for budget users, OS-agnostic users, and of course the Palm OS faithful. Palm OS faithful.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12.    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    End of Life-keep in mind these are only estimates & reflect depletion of stock in the warehouse
    Palm Sherlock 5/14 Replaces Treo 700P. Dark blue and Burgundy

Copied from phonenews.com forums....
    Could this be the reason Palm hasn't fixed the bugs in the 700p, because they are phasing it out in favor of a replacment?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Various issues with the 700p are being blamed on the fact that it uses the same basic hardware architecture as the 700w/700wx (lags, bluetooth) that apparently are issues with Palm OS.

Why would you think a second attempt at doing this would work better?
    I personally think thats another Palm lie. OK, I dont know hardware, but I cant think what demands WM could make that would not benefit a PalmOS device either, such as faster NAND, more RAM etc. I suspect they just gave out that excuse because WM is an easy scapegoat.

Surur
    Give me GPS build in
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Could this be the reason Palm hasn't fixed the bugs in the 700p, because they are phasing it out in favor of a replacment?
    Doesn't matter...they still should have fixed the bugs IMO. Consumers shouldn't be forced to upgrade hoping for a fix unless this would be a replacement at an irresistable discount with some extra goodies beyond the fix. Then again, I am speaking from my own integrity. A number of consumers will or want to keep their 700's or for financial reasons at that time will be a factor in keeping the 700.
    at&t iPhone3G
    It's just sad. I remember when the 650 was known by it's code name "ACE". We knew all the details (or made them up pretty accurately) fully 6 months before the launch. Now here we are with virtually no info 2 months before the launch of the new device and we know next to nothing but the code name. Maybe this is Colligen's "Mercedes" device. Maybe it will include a Chattermail clone. Perhaps even a split screen. But we don't know much. With Palm's track record in recent years it will be a very modest improvement over the 700p with a point update of Garnet. My poor 650 is battered and scarred from doing day to day business battle since its first day of availability in Austin Tx. I NEED an update. An upGRADE. The 700 wasn't enough to lure me in and cough up the dough. I sure hope this one is enough.
  17.    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post

From PIC:

This also would be a silent acknowledgement by Palm of the 700p's myriad of bugs that are essentially unfixable and require entirely new hardware to address the Bluetooth and memory architecture flaws.

http://palminfocenter.com/news/9272/...ck-due-in-may/
  18.    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Doesn't matter...they still should have fixed the bugs IMO. Consumers shouldn't be forced to upgrade hoping for a fix unless this would be a replacement at an irresistable discount with some extra goodies beyond the fix. Then again, I am speaking from my own integrity. A number of consumers will or want to keep their 700's or for financial reasons at that time will be a factor in keeping the 700.
    I hear ya, the 700p was my first Treo, upgraded from a 5 yr old Nokia dumb phone. If all this is true about EOL for the 700p maybe Palm wil have some sort of trade-up program for 700p users to the new sherlock.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm has historically never been one for "trade-ins". If so, they'd give some lame $50 to $100 discount for the traded-in 700p. Even if a new model comes out and the 700p is EOL'd, it could still be sold on E-Bay for at least
    2x whatever Palm would give on a lame trade in rebate.