1.    #1  
    From David Beers..

Recent job postings at Palm:

WiFi SW Engineer: This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced and highly motivated development team responsible for Wi-Fi features across all Palm, Inc. products. Candidates with experience in mobile networking are prime candidates for this position. Engineers with experience in VoWLAN are preferred.
    SW Application Developer: Palm is seeking a talented Linux SW Developer to develop applications for our next generation of devices.
    VoWLAN could signal that Palm is making a "One Phone" Treo device.
    I hope so - though David Beers cites the job posting asking for experience with roaming across "non-heterogeneous" wireless networks. But that means "not varied," and wouldn't itself support the idea of a device that worked on multiple wireless technologies.

It's encouraging to hear that in 2007, Palm will be introducing new form factors and that the Jeff Hawkins device will be coming out (which may be the same thing).
  3.    #3  
    Senior Telephony Software Engineer posting from 2/9/07:

Duties/Responsibilities:

Responsibilities will include design, implementation, and optimization of telephony libraries for our Windows Mobile, Plam OS, and Linux based smart phones. The telephony library will work with different radios - CDAM, UMTS, WIFI - to provide users access to all kinds of telephony services.
    Telephony services using WiFi? It's sounding more and more like Palm is working on a cellular/WiFi hybrid "One Phone" that will offer voice over WLAN. What are the chances that Palm will offer their own VoIP service for Treos or partner up with a VoIP provider ?
    Skype on a Treo. The new killer feature seems to be a software switching mechanism that moves, seamlessly and without input from the user, between wifi and GSM. iPhone anyone?
    I think what's most notable is Palm's first explicit mention, as far as I recall, of a Linux-based smartphone.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    the Jeff Hawkins device will be coming out
    isn't the Hawkins device, actually a device he's making for his own company?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    isn't the Hawkins device, actually a device he's making for his own company?
    No. The "Hawkins Device" refers to Jeff Hawkins's statements about a "third business" at Palm in this article. See this chart for Palm's own categorization of Disruptive (orange) vs Sustaining (gray) vs Breakthrough (black) devices.

Pilot
    Treo

LifeDrive

Jeff Hawkins founded Numenta which will create and license software and a set of developer tools based on his HTM theory of the neocortex.

Brian
    Brian,

I thought you were joking with yoyr description of Numenta. Then I looked at the website.

Mr. Hawkins might be smart. He designed the beloved Treo, etc. But geez. The collective dull roar of self-serving PRPRPR $does$ $not$ $create$ $Immortal$ $and$ $Infinite$ $Genius$. $This$ $stuff$ $sounds$ $a$ $bit$ $over$ $the$ $top$.

Remember. This is all about telephones. Not metaphysics. Maybe hubris.com might be a better domain name?

On the other hand maybe I am too dim to see what's going on with all of this.

Sorry to be kicking God in the shins here but . . . .
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Brian,

I thought you were joking with yoyr description of Numenta. Then I looked at the website.

Mr. Hawkins might be smart. He designed the beloved Treo, etc. But geez. The collective dull roar of self-serving PRPRPR $does$ $not$ $create$ $Immortal$ $and$ $Infinite$ $Genius$. $This$ $stuff$ $sounds$ $a$ $bit$ $over$ $the$ $top$.

Remember. This is all about telephones. Not metaphysics. Maybe hubris.com might be a better domain name?

On the other hand maybe I am too dim to see what's going on with all of this.

Sorry to be kicking God in the shins here but . . . .
    Sorry you don't understand, but I really don't think there's any hubris here from Jeff Hawkins. I've read his book On Intelligence and have seen him speak at MIT. He believes he has figured out how to create intelligent machines, it's one of his lifelong passions and goals.

I suggest you read this recent article in Business 2.0 magazine titled "Jeff Hawkins hacks the human brain". If you don't like reading, you can watch the two videos of Jeff Hawkins talking about Numenta and explaining his HTM theory here. Maybe it will help you wrap your brain around it .

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/11/2007 at 05:45 PM.
    I will take a look at Hawkins and his stuff. Genius needs a Business 101 brain because an idea is not a product or - more important - a business. Apparently Mr. Hawkins sees this because he appears in team with people.