Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have world-traveling friend who wants a GSM Treo running Palm OS (or new Linux version of similar) that handles 3G data.

He's willing to wait, but I'm curious how long before we'll see this phone. Sometime in 2007? Later? What's the educated guess on this one?

Thanks!
    Not sure how educated this is. But maybe speculation will suffice.

Palm purchased "editing" rights to Palm OS Frankengarnet recently. Surely, they did not do that for the sake of releasing the 680 and dying. Wireless standards would be the first order of biz to keep FrankyG going IMO. The mountainous problem in the way seems to be UMTS/HSPDA with it's radio swapping / multitasking requirements.

By the time they hack all that capability into place they nearly have a new OS. Kinda like when you pour too much syrup on your pancakes and someone says "Hey, you want some pancakes with that syrup."
    Patrick Horne
    I'm still not sure why this couldn't be done with cooperative multi-tasking (which is what the Palm has). Bigger problems have been solved with less.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    My inclination is that Palm probably bought the rights to Garnett for their lower-end phones/pda's. I suspect the newer high-end devices, Treo's and such, will likely run the Access Linux OS with some kind of emulator program to allow it to run Palm applications.

Obviously, nobody knows exactly when things come out, but given the time since the 700P was issued, I'd expect to see something within the next year. Personally, I love my 700P, but will probably go back to Cingular when they get a Treo of comparable capabilities, or better. (The 680 just seems to much of a step backward for me.)

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Palm purchased "editing" rights to Palm OS Frankengarnet recently.
    I wonder if Colligan or anyone else at Palm calls it FrankenGarnet too.
    What is it worth to Palm to have a place like TC where they can watch over everyone's shoulders to see what works and what doesn't with their products? Priceless. Free market research.

One sometimes wonders however if they are listening. Survey says . . . .
    Tell him to get a Treo 750. Even if Palm manages to get 3G GSM going on a Palm OS Treo, how stable do you think it'll be? Each iteration of Palm OS gets more and more unstable and exhibits erratic behavior. WM is going the OTHER way. They're just hacking an OS that was never meant to be capable of the things that they've managed to do, with sacrifices in reliability/quality. Move on to an OS that has no issue running the newest technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Tell him to get a Treo 750. Even if Palm manages to get 3G GSM going on a Palm OS Treo, how stable do you think it'll be? Each iteration of Palm OS gets more and more unstable and exhibits erratic behavior. WM is going the OTHER way. They're just hacking an OS that was never meant to be capable of the things that they've managed to do, with sacrifices in reliability/quality. Move on to an OS that has no issue running the newest technology.
    As someone who is a HUGE PalmOS fan, I agree with the above post 100%. It's time to put a shelf-life on the PalmOS.

Besides, for all of my bi_ching about WM5 over the past year (and driving all of you nuts in the process), it's really really starting to grow on me. My next device will be either a Treo 750 or an 8125. (I have both devices coming in in the next few weeks so I'll play with them and see which one I like for every day use.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    As someone who is a HUGE PalmOS fan, I agree with the above post 100%. It's time to put a shelf-life on the PalmOS.

Besides, for all of my bi_ching about WM5 over the past year (and driving all of you nuts in the process), it's really really starting to grow on me. My next device will be either a Treo 750 or an 8125. (I have both devices coming in in the next few weeks so I'll play with them and see which one I like for every day use.)
    the 8125 isn't the greatest device. The 8525 is great, the 750 is the best PPCphone I've ever used. Best PHONE I've ever used.
    the 8125 isn't the greatest device. The 8525 is great, the 750 is the best PPCphone I've ever used. Best PHONE I've ever used.
    A lot of my complaints have been centered around the shortcomings on the 8125. I've only recently gotten it somewhat stable and that's been with custom ROMs. I don't mind the EDGE speed so much because I only surf mobile friendly sites which aren't bandwidth intense. e-mail is pushed so I don't wait for the transmission. But the rest of the device is a bit pokey. The slide out keyboard would be far more friendly without the numbers in a row. (The PPC/VX 6700 has this same drawback.) For one-handed use I've become more adept at using the T9 virtual keypad. (An example of when I need this .. I have to answer something while walking and carrying too much stuff to use two hands.) That's not ideal, but better than dropping everything.

I'm looking forward to these new devices.

If you had to choose the 8525 or the 750 which would you pick? (Curious) The one thing that bothers me with the 750 is the 240x240 screen. I was dorking around with the HP 6915 and I couldn't stand the resolution. It was the first time I really, really appreciated the landscape mode on my 8125.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    The HTC Titan is going to be even better. It will be slimmer than the 8525, have EVDO Rev A, probably have a spring loaded sliding keyboard, have little function and caps lock light, extra buttons, 96 MB RAM, 256 MB flash, the latest AKU etc. Its a further refinement of the Hermes basically, and should come out in February to Verizon, May to Sprint.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...n-in-the-wild/

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    A lot of my complaints have been centered around the shortcomings on the 8125. I've only recently gotten it somewhat stable and that's been with custom ROMs. I don't mind the EDGE speed so much because I only surf mobile friendly sites which aren't bandwidth intense. e-mail is pushed so I don't wait for the transmission. But the rest of the device is a bit pokey. The slide out keyboard would be far more friendly without the numbers in a row. (The PPC/VX 6700 has this same drawback.) For one-handed use I've become more adept at using the T9 virtual keypad. (An example of when I need this .. I have to answer something while walking and carrying too much stuff to use two hands.) That's not ideal, but better than dropping everything.

I'm looking forward to these new devices.

If you had to choose the 8525 or the 750 which would you pick? (Curious) The one thing that bothers me with the 750 is the 240x240 screen. I was dorking around with the HP 6915 and I couldn't stand the resolution. It was the first time I really, really appreciated the landscape mode on my 8125.
    I got my 750 on 1/11. After setting everything up and making sure that I had everything from my 8525 on my 750, its been sitting on my desk and hasn't moved in almost 2 weeks.

At first I though the 240x240 would be hard to get used to. IN actuality, I got used to it about 2 hours after playing with the 750. Now I don't even think much about it. All of my Today apps fit well.

Its just so easy to look up contacts to dial, google search for a phone number to a business I want to call (think for store hours or restaurants to see what type of wait there is/reservations, etc). The form factor just makes this stuff SO easy.

Let me just say that from the day I got my 8525 to the day I stopped using it, I was always trying tomake it better, to make it easier to use. Now that I have my Treo 750 loaded up with the apps I use, I don't spend any time tweaking it at all. Why? Because it just works.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The HTC Titan is going to be even better. It will be slimmer than the 8525, have EVDO Rev A, probably have a spring loaded sliding keyboard, have little function and caps lock light, extra buttons, 96 MB RAM, 256 MB flash, the latest AKU etc. Its a further refinement of the Hermes basically, and should come out in February to Verizon, May to Sprint.

Surur
    should be a fine device, but it still has THAT form factor, something that I got used to, but never really fully enjoyed. The upcoming Kaiser should be a nice Titan upgrade for GSM users, but raising the bar with integrated GPS.
    My wife has a HP 6915, and I agree that the form factor is really makes a difference. Its better for muscle memory. It feels faster to just use one hand vs using two hands.

Surur

Surur
    So now we will have the HTC TyTN and the HTC Titan? (Did someone buy a vowel?)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    My wife has a HP 6915, and I agree that the form factor is really makes a difference. Its better for muscle memory. It feels faster to just use one hand vs using two hands.

Surur
    The 6915 is pretty neat. I love the built in GPS and it's pretty clever to include the GPS coordinates on the photos you take.

BUT: It's HUGE. I felt like Alice in wonderland after she shrunk and everything was big. (It also made me feel like I had a tiny head when I put it up to my ear.) That said: I had *NO* trouble reading the text on the screen ... even from across the room.

Question: Is there an AKU2 patch for the 6915? That's one of several reasons I have it sitting in a drawer. I was unable to find it on HPs web-site.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    It already runs AKU 2.3 I believe. And it is big, even compared to a Treo (3 inch screen) , but it is slightly thinner, and I dig the screen protector, means my wife can carry it around without a case. The screen protector reminds me of my much loved and lost HP Jornada 568

Surur
    I was unsuccessful in migrating from a 650 to a 680. How would one ever get from a 650 to a 750? It would be at least as much work as going from XP to Vista; I cannot make that jump either. They have made it too hard.
    It already runs AKU 2.3 I believe. And it is big, even compared to a Treo (3 inch screen) , but it is slightly thinner, and I dig the screen protector, means my wife can carry it around without a case. The screen protector reminds me of my much loved and lost HP Jornada 568

Surur
    It doesn't have AKU 2. It will only do scheduled "pull" of e-mail, but it won't work with Exchange push. I also had some weird issues with ActiveSync that I hadn't experienced on any other device.

The screen protector is quite nice. I'm glad they made it transparent .. makes it easy to glance at something without flipping it up and away.

I've had family members say it looks like a star trek communicator. I'm thinking that the name "Mobile Communicator" by HP isn't so much of a coincidence.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    It has MSFP. Maybe something else stopped it from working for you.
    http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1...browser7ho.jpg
    http://h41131.www4.hp.com/uk/en/pr/U...006175805.html

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/20/2007 at 02:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast