1.    #1  
    This is actually pretty funny:

I went into the Cingular store last week so that I could grope and fondle the 8525.

While I was in the middle of my erotic encounter with the device a Bellsouth guy came over to me. The conversation went something like this:

BSGuy: hi, I'm from BellSouth ... we are now the same company as AT&T and Cingular! May I ask who you use for your home telephone service?

Me: None.

BSGuy: You mean you have someone other than BellSouth?

Me: No. I only have a cell phone.

BSGuy: really?

Me: Yes.

BSGuy: What do you do in emergencies? Send smoke signals?

Me: Well, I have 3 different cell phones from two different carriers. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to dial 911 on one of them.

BSGuy: What if you can't talk and you can't tell them your exact location?

Me: Someone else in the house will probably be able to talk.

BSGuy: (raises his voice slightly) You do realize that cell phones are the most unreliable technology in the world, right? You really want to bet your life on such unreliable technology?
    (Keep in mind that we are standing *in* a Cingular store!)

At this point the store manager comes over at a brisk pace and stands right next to the BellSouth guy and gives him the most priceless WTF !?! look I have ever seen. The BellSouth guy went on his way. I left.

I found some humor in it.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    This is actually pretty funny:

At this point the store manager comes over at a brisk pace and stands right next to the BellSouth guy and gives him the most priceless WTF !?! look I have ever seen. The BellSouth guy went on his way. I left.

I found some humor in it.
    Thanks for this post. I have an intrinsic hate of the baby bells and so this post made me laugh out loud!
    Great story driver01. If it wasn't for my fax machine, I wouldn't have a land line at all.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Great story driver01. If it wasn't for my fax machine, I wouldn't have a land line at all.

I thought that too, and then I discovered eFax. :-)

Also: If you MUST have a land-line you can get a skype line with number for like $38 per *year*.

I was paying for a landline for several years when it finally hit me. I never used it and the only people that called me on it were telemarketers. I don't miss it one little bit.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Funny story - this is how the conversation goes when people like that ask me:

BSGuy: hi, I'm from BellSouth ... we are now the same company as AT&T and Cingular! May I ask who you use for your home telephone service?

Me: No.
    If they keep pestering I just shout out "no I don't want to have sex with you and your wife - please leave me alone".

They generally stop at that point.
    Or better yet if you are a guy, "NO! I do no want a reach-a-round from you so stop asking"
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer