Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Put it in a SD card reader or use software like card export, in dos prompt, type

format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

Where X is your drive location.

I upgrade from my 2GB card to my 4GB. Some write operations like deleting songs from inside pTunes became a hell lot slower. It literally takes 10-15 seconds to delete one mp3.

But I am a lazy guy so I have been pushing this off for a while. Today I finally bit the bullet and reformated it. Wow, it's like slapping a turbo to your SD card.

This is a public announcement.
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid. Formatting it in the Treo itself won't work?
  3.    #3  
    No. It will format it in fat32 but the allocation size would be too small. It's what slow down the write operation.
    so 2gb disks you dont have to format as you describe, only 4gb or more?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    How about the Transcend 4Gig 150x SD cards? They seem fine as is.
  6.    #6  
    It probably don't matter to you if you don't use pTunes (and according to other posters some database app) to delete files. It makes a huge difference to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It probably don't matter to you if you don't use pTunes (and according to other posters some database app) to delete files. It makes a huge difference to me.
    hmmm, Thanks for the additional details.
    Put it in a SD card reader or use software like card export, in dos prompt, type

format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

Where X is your drive location.

I upgrade from my 2GB card to my 4GB. Some write operations like deleting songs from inside pTunes became a hell lot slower. It literally takes 10-15 seconds to delete one mp3.

But I am a lazy guy so I have been pushing this off for a while. Today I finally bit the bullet and reformated it. Wow, it's like slapping a turbo to your SD card.

This is a public announcement.
    Okay...so again, this may sound stupid. If my PC has an SD slot, is that a reader and I can format it right on the PC or I have to have a separate SD card reader?

P.S. I read that entire 8gb thread, but it's all confusing with everyone mentioning different cards and reader brands...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Okay...so again, this may sound stupid. If my PC has an SD slot, is that a reader and I can format it right on the PC or I have to have a separate SD card reader?
    Yes, just format it in your PC.
    P.S. I read that entire 8gb thread, but it's all confusing with everyone mentioning different cards and reader brands...
    They are too hardcore for you. They do speed test and stuff.
    Yes, just format it in your PC.

They are too hardcore for you. They do speed test and stuff.
    They are!!! I just want to play music and get all three Lord of the Rings movies on a card with room to spare...

I took your advice & I can tell its way faster than just doing the standard windows format. I was getting sick and tired of the data corruption and slow access speeds.
    With your advice itís like NOS was injected into the system.
    Donít know if the occasional data corruption is gone for good but at least itís faster. thanks!!!!!
    This makes it faster but the cards corrupting data like crazy. I don't know if my SD card is screwing up or if itís a bad connection with one of the pins or something but I just cleaned the pins off & changed it back to see how things work out.
    If all goes smooth ill try it again and see.

Anybody else having this problem?

Check the amount of data on the card and then look at your overall space and see if it adds up. I was missing about 500MBs
    This is ridiculous.

Was at 1.8GB used on a 2GB card. (2 months ago)

Now I am at 3.8GB on a 4GB card.

(4 movies, added music and more backup check points will do that.)

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    This is ridiculous.

Was at 1.8GB used on a 2GB card. (2 months ago)

Now I am at 3.8GB on a 4GB card.

(4 movies, added music and more backup check points will do that.)

LOL
    Time to get an 8gb
    As soon as the 8GB cards get to about $75 I am buying one.

I am accumulating a nice stack of older SD cards including 1G, 2G and soon 4GB. I wonder if they are worth selling on ebay.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    How to do this in terminal for mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    How about the Transcend 4Gig 150x SD cards? They seem fine as is.
    I formatted this card and noticed a slight speed boost, but certainly not anything dramatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
    I formatted this card and noticed a slight speed boost, but certainly not anything dramatic.
    Thanks tedtan!
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
    Call me crazy but a few seconds vs a few minutes or so when deleting or moving files on the Treo seems rather dramatic to me.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/20/2007 at 05:25 PM.
    hi... i tried the procedure above on a transcend 4gb 150x sd (which reads as 3.7gb on my treo 650 after the rom update) but now doesnt read on my laptop slot... the following error comes...

please help...

Dj
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast