1.    #1  
    I am in the search for a new smartphone.

I have had a Treo 600 for a while and it has been good to me till I dropped it one too many times and the earphone jack came un connected internally.

Anyways, I am looking for something that does phone/MP3 as well as GPS and/or WiFi...I prefer WiFi...It is easy to find a WiFi connection since I drive 200-500 miles a week for the company I work for.

I have no problem with the OS it uses as long as all functions (phone/MP3/GPSorWiFi) work.

Is there such a device that does this?

I have tried to read the reviews but have yet to find a site that lets me organize by options (phone/MP3/WiFi or GPS) to see what is available.

I current have T-Mobile and the contract is ending in 4 months.
    I also have $400.00 US to spend on this new device. (more if the device is right)

Thanks for the help!
    That's just about the time the iPhone will be shipping, and at $399 with a 2-year contract for the 4 GB model, you get your wifi. For GPS you'll need a bluetooth receiver. Google Maps comes pre-installed on the iPhone as well.
    Google maps is not a replacement for real GPS. You really can't find any smartphone w GPS build in except ipaq 6900? For wifi phone you can check out 6700/Tytn. Dash has wifi too but I doubt GPS software work well without the touchscreen.

There are also some Asian only triband GSM wm5 phones that I am not familiar with.
    And I missed it the iPhone price is not 399 stop dreaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbonz View Post
    I am in the search for a new smartphone.

I have had a Treo 600 for a while and it has been good to me till I dropped it one too many times and the earphone jack came un connected internally.

Anyways, I am looking for something that does phone/MP3 as well as GPS and/or WiFi...I prefer WiFi...It is easy to find a WiFi connection since I drive 200-500 miles a week for the company I work for.

I have no problem with the OS it uses as long as all functions (phone/MP3/GPSorWiFi) work.

Is there such a device that does this?

I have tried to read the reviews but have yet to find a site that lets me organize by options (phone/MP3/WiFi or GPS) to see what is available.

I current have T-Mobile and the contract is ending in 4 months.
    I also have $400.00 US to spend on this new device. (more if the device is right)

Thanks for the help!
    Well first off the iPhone is nothing but a multi media phone. to quote a reviewer "The iPhone is not going to be a Blackberry killer, it doesn't have the traditional corporate (personal data assistant) slant to it,". with this in mind then you can forget about it beating the Treo. what you want if you can afford one is the HTC 'Blue Angel' Wi-Fi PocketPC phone. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...gel/page3.html
    its the best their is at the moment with Wi-fi untill palm gives us a Treo with internal Wi-fi, GPS, a better sounding amp, 4GBs of RAM & an intergrated webcam. That would be the Everything Killer & the last phone you would ever buy
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/13/2007 at 03:31 AM.
    Pharos is selling this GPS WIFI smartphone in USA at the moment.

http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images...-gps-phone.jpg

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5913.html

http://pharosgps.com/news/press/20070103.htm

Its pretty well specified except for 3G, and is Quadband.

Of course I would not dismiss the HP 6900 series. For one thing, you can get it on a subsidy with a contract, brining down the cost, it has a Treo like form factor, has WIFI and GPS, and the one I have over here has pretty good one handedness and works pretty well.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Dash has wifi too but I doubt GPS software work well without the touchscreen.
    That notion, of course, flies in the face of fifteen years of Garmin's product line and current hardware offerings...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    And I missed it the iPhone price is not 399 stop dreaming.
    Oops! My bad, it's $499 for the 4 GB. D'oh!
    The T-mobile Dash looks like it might fit your needs. It runs on Windows OS and it has Wi-Fi. My neighbor works for Microsoft and has had the phone since it was in beta and he loves it. I would have considered it myself but I have so many programs for the Palm OS already and don't know if I am ready for a non-touch screen yet. It may be worthy of a look for your needs.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/11/t...e-dash-review/
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324
    The only issue with the Dash, same with the Q in this regard, is to make sure that the GPS/Navigation software you get is WM5-Smartphone compatible. There are MANY people who don't appreciate the difference between WM5-Smartphone and WM5-PPC. Many/Most WM5-PPC programs either won't load, or work effectively on a Smartphone. Its easy enough to check, just be wary of salespeople who themselves don't appreciate the difference between the two operating systems.
    I am happy with outboard (BT) GPS. On a phone, I would clearly prefer 3G to Wi-Fi. Even on a PC, I might prefer 3G if I could replace all other broadband with it. If I cannot, then at $80/mo., it is too expensive.

I love the novelty and elegance of Google Maps on my Treo. That said, I rarely use it. (There was a great feature of the PalmVII; an API that returned the postal zip code of the tower. The Zip code could then be used to query a database, for example, of Starbuck's locations in that code. I would love to be able to query the cell network to learn my location and then use that location as a search argument to Google Maps.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/13/2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I am happy with outboard (BT) GPS. On a phone, I would clearly prefer 3G to Wi-Fi. Even on a PC, I might prefer 3G if I could replace all other broadband with it. If I cannot, then at $80/mo., it is too expensive.

I love the novelty of Google Maps on my Treo. That said, I never use it.
    Google map is very useful. But without any mean to hook it to a real GPS receiver, it's not nearly as useful as it could be.
    I'm currently testing an HP 6915. It has built in GPS by TomTom. It's quite nice. It also has a nice clever feature that allows you to "stamp" your photos with your GPS coordinates.

However: The device I have lacks AKU2 and for whatever reason won't sync with my 4Smartphone exchange server. (It syncs with Lotus Notes through iAnywhere's OneBridge just fine.)

This device has WiFi and GPS. It's a similar form factor to the Treo 750, albeit it's quite a bit larger.

It might be worth looking at if you need GPS in your handheld.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    want an I-phone? better read this
    http://www.playfuls.com/news_05822_T...dvatanges.html
    To me this phone is about as usefull as the RAZER.
    Just when you think Apples got a clue they go and do something stupid.
    My only concern is if it will run 3rd party apps. I know of at least one Push e-mail system for Lotus Notes that I'd love to see brought online for this phone. Without it this will end up being a purely consumer device for me and I have no desire to carry yet another device around.

If Apple wants to control the content, and still allow 3rd party development (similar to the games development for the iPod) then I'm actually quite fine with that.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I think Apple took a look at all the instability with Treos due to third-party apps and decided to go in the proprietary dirction instead. Retaining complete control of the OS and any apps installed means they can be sure it will function exactly as planned for everyone. It's a trade-off. Being a Mac guy, I prefer this approach to the wild west/Dodge City that is the Palm aftermarket. Install one app on a Treo that doesn't play nice with another and you're in for some major headaches. It's all about controlling what goes on the phone. Simple. Want something not supported on the iPhone? Get a different phone. The iPhone is not for you. Or simply wait for the inevitable hack that allows unsupported apps to be installed. You just know that's gonna happen at some point.
    it might not happen. Everyone thought when OSX came out on the Intel proc that a ton of people would port it to run on standard PCs. It happened, but nowhere near the levels people had previously predicted. If anything the opposite happened (folks running XP on Macs ... go figure.)

As for the 3rd party instability ... I can't tell you how many times I've had to cold-reset my WM5 phone due to this very problem. (Twice yesterday in fact.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Isn't all this IPhone stuff in the wrong thread. Last I heard no IPhone has GPS hardware or software.

Surur