1.    #1  
    Just a little tale for interests sake.

My 650 keyboard broke. I decided maybe it was time for a change, so I had a 8525 next-dayed to me. Really neat device, but completely UNUSABLE in my opinion. After a week with the device, I sent my treo off to have a new keyboard installed. The 8525 is going back to Cingualar the day I get my treo back ( 30 mbg for new accounts)

Why?

1. The phone is so unbeliebably clumsy to use. Sending or returning an email or simple text message REQUIRES two hands and is a clumsy pain in the a$$.

2. The phone locks up on a daily basis, the alarms (which I use to wake me up in the morning) work only intermittantly, the messages broken often gives me a blank white screen when I try to open an email. I could not get push emai working, though my work server should have worked.

4. The contacts/ phone app is much clumsier than the treo and imo difficult to use.

5. The calender program (and I have Agenda's Fusion installed) pales in comparison to Datebk 6. I was so used to and dependent on my "iconized" datebook. I know, i could accomplish the same thing through software on this phone.

6. I really, really, really miss my apps, esp. chatter, datebk6, Butler, etc.

Anyway, the main thing is the just the overall clumsiness of the device and the inability to use it one handed. With my 650 with chatter push email and one button commands, everything is so quick and simple!! With my treo, everything is so easy and so quick. I didn't realize how often I pop off texts to friends, family, wife all during the day with my treo. With the 8525, it is so clumsy, I find I rarely send them. And I really miss the chat-like sms interface. This morning on the way to work, I tried to text my wife, and nearly ran off the road, as I attempted to one handedly type on that keyboard.

I know a lot of people will disagree and I know some or maybe most of my problems could be handled with 3rd party software, but I just don't like the phone or the wm5 platform enought to keep this phone.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Welcome Back!!

I did the same thing with the 8125 and did not like it. I had it for a total of 2 weeks and sold it.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    1. The phone is so unbeliebably clumsy to use. Sending or returning an email or simple text message REQUIRES two hands and is a clumsy pain in the a$$.
    It's an incredibly powerful device, but for something to throw in my pocket and use as basically a second brain (always kinda in the back of my head, likely in my hand, definitely within reach) I can't be bothered to use two hands. That's why I like the Treo form factor (not necessarily saying the treo is the best): small keyboard, small screen. I think they really hit on something with the 600, and I suppose that's why they haven't changed. Now if they can slim the darn thing down while adding Wifi (the two big knocks, in my opinion) I will finally have a smartphone I can be happy with.
    Same experience I had with the 6700 - enjoyed the lovefest for 6-8 weeks, then went back to Treo.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    This morning on the way to work, I tried to text my wife, and nearly ran off the road, as I attempted to one handedly type on that keyboard.
    please text responsibly and NOT WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING. What if you hit someone?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post

That is my whole point, on my treo, it was so simple and one handed, it is always done responsibly!!!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I'll stop texting and making phone calls on the road when society gives me back my administrative assistant...
    i feel the same way but alas i've been told by the powers that be that WM5 is my future. it's hard to disagree with their reasoning.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    i feel the same way but alas i've been told by the powers that be that WM5 is my future. it's hard to disagree with their reasoning.

How about the 700wx then? I'd look into that myself if some of my apps were ported over.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I'll stop texting and making phone calls on the road when society gives me back my administrative assistant...
    I'll better get that maximog should i meet you on the road.
    LOL, that thing is UGLY!!!!!
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  12.    #12  
    My trusty treo came back in the mail today with a nice springy new keyboard.

I cannot believe how happy I am to have it back and how ready I am to return the 8525.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    I did the same with my MDA from tmobile..after 11 pda.s and blackberry.s.. there is nothing like my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    How about the 700wx then? I'd look into that myself if some of my apps were ported over.
    I needed GPS because I travel outside the US. That eliminated all CDMA devices.

Now that the 750 is out I was considering switching to that, but now two things have happened:

1) The slide-out keyboard has finally started to grow on me. (After nearly a year of b_tching about it.)
    2) I've spent some time with another device that has a 240x240 display and decided that I don't think I can live with that.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I'll better get that maximog should i meet you on the road.
    Kind of reminds me of a UniMog that I saw parked in Los Angeles about 15 years ago once when I was on travel. Is this the same company with a new name?

just curious, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thank you so much for that review because I was considering that phone. However your complaints were the type of real world complaints that many Reviewers seem to overlook as they get too involved with the tech of a gadget.

BTW does it only take micro SD cards? If so then the blue angel would be a better choice for me I think
    I'm with you!! People texting while driving are downright DANGEROUS, whether the phone is one-handed or not!!! Because if you're texting, you cannot be giving full attention to the road!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    we need voice to text for sms... who has that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm with you!! People texting while driving are downright DANGEROUS, whether the phone is one-handed or not!!! Because if you're texting, you cannot be giving full attention to the road!!

Technically, even talking (hands-free or not) is also taking your mind off of the road.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys: