Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you are a 600 or 650 owner would you buy another palm device?

For me the answer is no for the following reason.
    It must have at least 1GB of preferably up gradable internal memory since It truly sucks having to take speed hits from running applications from an SD card.

Palm if you need a clue you could sell us replaceable memory chips and make a profit rather than allowing us to look else ware to get what we want. Your approach to the market is very much like Apples but your devices are not as cool looking or operating.

Love um or hate um it was the IBM PC along with Microsoft that made the world what it is today.
    Although Steve Jobs got very rich developing Hardware that you need to replace every 2 1/2 years Bill Gates and IBM got much richer making the software and Hardware that makes everybody happy. The bottom line is if you do it like a Pc everybody will want one Plus You will be the first to embark into new uncharted territory that will bring about new patents witchl in the future will generate more money for your empire. Dont and somebody will just take your place and possibly Slaughter you. Your current approach is more risky. Its Economics 101

Just a reminder Palm A PDA without WI-FI in Europe is not an option. If your come back is. You can use the WI-Fi sled or 700w My response is F that! That thing isn't cool nor is it practical. 600s & 650s are already pushing the size envelope and now you want me to walk around looking like I just stepped out of the 80's? As for the 700w; When you consider one needs to buy a Wi-fi card & GPS receiver to be on the same playing field with other modern day PDAs & still you dont have the ability to use an SD card at the same time its time to start Looking at a device like The MDA III Phone Edition For $700.00 witch ends up being a less expensive device with a much bigger Display.
    So everybody whos considering another Palm I urge you to consider the MDA III Phone Edition. its a Treo killer!
    http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/mda3/index.htm

Stinks to read things like this dont it Palm? Should have just given us WI-Fi from the start like was promised. Now ill just take My 4GB SD card and stick it in something else.

I know palm has switched ownership so I would just like to tell the new owners that At this point your best bet is to give me a Wi-Fi card with 4GB storage capacity , driver & Rom update. then maybe ill consider buying a Palm WI-FI card.
    thats about the last dime you will see from me.

Oh yeah and one more thing B4 you blow off the 650 users take this into account. Europe only has expensive EDGE networks so why in the world would anybody want to upgrade from a 650 to 680 or 7X model? Hell come to think of it why would they even buy a Treo
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/09/2007 at 10:28 PM.
    The 680 shoulda been called the Z22 Phone, very little innovation.
    I will no longer settle for crippled screen resolution, lack of wifi, lacking memory, etc.,etc.,etc...now we know who REALLY came up with the idea of a "Secret Third Business"! Palm is/was unwilling to listen to the wants and needs of the people, now someone else has and can you believe all the "Wow!'s" and "Thank You!'s". What device do think people are gonna buy? It's no longer 1995. Palm's absolutely lazy ignoring of it's customers has for all intents and purposes, destroyed the company and screwed the stockholders. Just how proud are they now?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by starshipxm View Post
    I will no longer settle for crippled screen resolution, lack of wifi, lacking memory, etc.,etc.,etc...now we know who REALLY came up with the idea of a "Secret Third Business"! Palm is/was unwilling to listen to the wants and needs of the people, now someone else has and can you believe all the "Wow!'s" and "Thank You!'s". What device do think people are gonna buy? It's no longer 1995. Palm's absolutely lazy ignoring of it's customers has for all intents and purposes, destroyed the company and screwed the stockholders. Just how proud are they now?
    At the time it was the only choice we had so we put up with it. now its over and I for one can't wait to get off this ship full of jerks. it's a shame too. the device was so close to being perfect.
    Well .. there is absolutely some arrogance here.

Example of note: Palm's Colligan's comment:
    "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''

Well ... did you see that thing they demoed today? Apparently they have been working on it for two and 1/2 years. Does this seem like a long time? Well, they developed the hardware including the multi-touch technology, shoehorned a full blown desktop UI on there, put a beautiful high-res screen in it .. all in 2.5 years. (Ok, 3 years by the time it ships).

What's Palm done for 3 years? Took Microsoft's OS and slapped it in their hardware? Lowered the screen resolution? Slapped some 3G chips in the same form-factor?

Oh yeah ... they managed to lose the antenna. That's progress I guess.

No Ed. They aren't going to just walk in. They are going to crawl in slowly. However if you are sitting still even a crawl will pass you.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I will try the 750, perhaps my last Palm device. Due to the lack of built-in wifi, it's already crippled a bit. Only the form factor saves it, but how long is Palm going to rely on that? That's all they've been saying. The E61 copied their form factor and added wifi AND 3G in a thinner device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Did Palm develop/create the Treo, or did Handspring? Seems like someone else developed an innovative device, and Palm jumped on the bandwagon and slapped their name on the product and added a few minor tweaks. Then they took that same product/innovative idea and years later slapped someone elses OS(actually their main competitor go figure) in the device and called that revolutionary.

So what exact innovation has Palm produced in the last 10 years? Palm has been a sinking ship. They just keep piggybacking other vessels to stay afloat.
    simple......

treo270...treo600...treo650...iPhone

nuff said

bye
    Competition is good, variety is good. The iPhone will move the smartphone (mobile computing device) market forward. No device is EVERYBODY's dream machine. Each offering will have it's plusses and minusses. Everyone will pick their best fit.

Key input on the iPhone is a wait and see for me -- unless it has voice dictation -- I would not want to be continually cleaning greasy fingerprints off that hi res screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/10/2007 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    If you are a 600 or 650 owner would you buy another palm device?

For me the answer is no for the following reason.
    It must have at least 1GB of preferably up gradable internal memory since It truly sucks having to take speed hits from running applications from an SD card.

Palm if you need a clue you could sell us replaceable memory chips and make a profit rather than allowing us to look else ware to get what we want. Your approach to the market is very much like Apples but your devices are not as cool looking or operating.

Love um or hate um it was the IBM PC along with Microsoft that made the world what it is today.
    Although Steve Jobs got very rich developing Hardware that you need to replace every 2 1/2 years Bill Gates and IBM got much richer making the software and Hardware that makes everybody happy. The bottom line is if you do it like a Pc everybody will want one Plus You will be the first to embark into new uncharted territory that will bring about new patents witchl in the future will generate more money for your empire. Dont and somebody will just take your place and possibly Slaughter you. Your current approach is more risky. Its Economics 101

Just a reminder Palm A PDA without WI-FI in Europe is not an option. If your come back is. You can use the WI-Fi sled or 700w My response is F that! That thing isn't cool nor is it practical. 600s & 650s are already pushing the size envelope and now you want me to walk around looking like I just stepped out of the 80's? As for the 700w; When you consider one needs to buy a Wi-fi card & GPS receiver to be on the same playing field with other modern day PDAs & still you dont have the ability to use an SD card at the same time its time to start Looking at a device like The MDA III Phone Edition For $700.00 witch ends up being a less expensive device with a much bigger Display.
    So everybody whos considering another Palm I urge you to consider the MDA III Phone Edition. its a Treo killer!
    http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/mda3/index.htm

Stinks to read things like this dont it Palm? Should have just given us WI-Fi from the start like was promised. Now ill just take My 4GB SD card and stick it in something else.

I know palm has switched ownership so I would just like to tell the new owners that At this point your best bet is to give me a Wi-Fi card with 4GB storage capacity , driver & Rom update. then maybe ill consider buying a Palm WI-FI card.
    thats about the last dime you will see from me.

Oh yeah and one more thing B4 you blow off the 650 users take this into account. Europe only has expensive EDGE networks so why in the world would anybody want to upgrade from a 650 to 680 or 7X model? Hell come to think of it why would they even buy a Treo

That's quite touching that you should be so concerned about Palm and its future. It almost made me cry.

Though, I am struggling slightly to understand why you are so upset that Palm don't have a smartphone that suits you. It's not like they are the only option. Maybe you hold Palm stock?

At least you have been able to identify a solution that works for you. I am assuming that you don't have any contractual relationship with Palm that ties you to their products?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Competition is good, variety is good. The iPhone will move the smartphone (mobile computing device) market forward. No device is EVERYBODY's dream machine. Each offering will have it's plusses and minusses. Everyone will pick their best fit.

Key input on the iPhone is a wait and see for me -- unless it has voice dictation -- I do not want to be continually cleaning greasy fingerprints off that hi res screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    That is definitely a concern.

8GB storage capacity is impressive as heck. I'm wondering how much will be available to the user. Also, I want various apps. to be compatible with the device - like Excel- and Word-compatible programs.

I don't know if these will be options. If not, I'd have to, with much, MUCH regret, pass on the iPhone. (I wonder how they got the rights to that name, since someone on TC said it was already taken.)
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That is definitely a concern.

8GB storage capacity is impressive as heck. I'm wondering how much will be available to the user. Also, I want various apps. to be compatible with the device - like Excel- and Word-compatible programs.

I don't know if these will be options. If not, I'd have to, with they were much, MUCH regret, pass on the iPhone. (I wonder how they got the rights to that name, since someone on TC said it was already taken.)
    Asked the same question -- apparently Jobs negotiated the rights from Linksys. Apparently made them a sweet offer -- however -- Linksys was almost in a negative public relations position -- how could they deny Apple the name the public fully expected Apple to have? -- they would have looked like jerks.
    Asked the same question -- apparently Jobs negotiated the rights from Linksys. Apparently made them a sweet offer -- however -- Linksys was almost in a negative public relations position -- how could they deny Apple the name the public fully expected Apple to have? -- they would have looked like jerks.
    Hehe. I wouldn't have given too much thought to the jerk-factor.

Luckily, though, Apple came with a strong enough offer. Otherwise, we might be talking about Apple's new iPfone.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

Key input on the iPhone is a wait and see for me -- unless it has voice dictation -- I do not want to be continually cleaning greasy fingerprints off that hi res screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    Exactly, Perry. After this initial rush of euphoria over the iPhone, in a short while we will begin to see people pick it apart for various "weaknesses" (meaning it doesn't fit their particular needs) like every other phone on the market. The good news, as you pointed out, is that this will raise the bar so that future models will enhance our lives even more.

There was a re-run of War Games on one of the movie channels about a week ago. What a hoot! 8" floppies, a dial up modem using a cradle, pay phones with rotary dials, and a computer that filled a room.
    wifi means nothing to me, and I have more than enough RAM in my Treo 650. In fact, I only use about half of it.

You have to remember that everyone's needs are different. As for myself, a faster internet and smaller form factor (thinner and lighter) would be better.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    wifi means nothing to me, and I have more than enough RAM in my Treo 650. In fact, I only use about half of it.

You have to remember that everyone's needs are different. As for myself, a faster internet and smaller form factor (thinner and lighter) would be better.
    I'm a little confused about where you stand.

You have more than enough memory on your 650 (which is surprising, but cool).
    That suggests that you prefer the Treo.

But you'd prefer faster internet and a smaller form factor.
    That suggests that you prefer the iPhone.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.
    Personally, I won't. But I still have 1.5 year to go on my contract. The reason is simply I don't want to keep using a phone that look the same since early 2005. It has nothing to do with how good/bad Palm is.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    iphone looks nice, but I am not sure they are supporting 3rd party apps. Thats a deal killer for me.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    That's quite touching that you should be so concerned about Palm and its future. It almost made me cry.

Though, I am struggling slightly to understand why you are so upset that Palm don't have a smartphone that suits you. It's not like they are the only option. Maybe you hold Palm stock?

At least you have been able to identify a solution that works for you. I am assuming that you don't have any contractual relationship with Palm that ties you to their products?

I'm not Upset, I'm disappointed. I invested my money in this product and its applications because it basically is a laptop in the palm of my hand. I had high expectations. I knew off the back what it was capable of but foolish me honestly expected Palm to help mature the device; Instead to my surprise I found that at every corner they seemed to be less than interested in advancing it & more interested in holding back its capabilities. Its not just the WI-Fi, They never even gave us a BETA rom that would allow us to use larger capacity SDcards rather they opted to entice us with newer models based on mostly the same hardware that incorporated the Software patches we 650 users wanted. Nice strategy but a bit Insulting.
    Truth is, if not for the hacks I would have ditched this thing a year ago. Its not practical to keep worrying about is my palm going to crash because this or that app. is using too much memory alll the time.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/10/2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Personally, I won't. But I still have 1.5 year to go on my contract. The reason is simply I don't want to keep using a phone that look the same since early 2005. It has nothing to do with how good/bad Palm is.
    Why is looking the same a negative?

Have you had a problem with its design (apart from the things that have changed, obviously)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast