Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    wifi means nothing to me, and I have more than enough RAM in my Treo 650. In fact, I only use about half of it.

You have to remember that everyone's needs are different. As for myself, a faster internet and smaller form factor (thinner and lighter) would be better.

I totally understand your point of view. But more memory also means a more stable OS and faster user experience. As far as faster internet goes I view this as a good thing and Wi-fi provides that. I recently moved to Switzerland so the new advances now mean nothing to me since the Best it can Be Is outrageously expensive EDGE services. Europeans and travelers from abroad are basically being forced into using Wi-FI so any of the newer model phones with an exception of the 700w would just be pointless. I just canít imagine windows OS running on the curent palm platform being all that pleasant an experience. Maybe if the processor was at 700Mhz and it had more memory. Oops! Did I say memory again? lol
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/10/2007 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Why is looking the same a negative?

Have you had a problem with its design (apart from the things that have changed, obviously)?
    Becuase I like new/flashy stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Becuase I like new/flashy stuff?
    LOL.

Asked and answered! Thanks.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Competition is good, variety is good. The iPhone will move the smartphone (mobile computing device) market forward. No device is EVERYBODY's dream machine. Each offering will have it's plusses and minusses. Everyone will pick their best fit.

Key input on the iPhone is a wait and see for me -- unless it has voice dictation -- I would not want to be continually cleaning greasy fingerprints off that hi res screen.

Cheers, Perry.

Take a close look at my avatar and you will see the voice dictation software from the 680 running on my 650.
    just another one of our wants that i hacked in there. but for the record one can buy a dictation program.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 01/10/2007 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Take a close look at my avatar and you will see the voice dictation software from the 680 running on my 650.
    just another one of our wants that i hacked in there. but for the record one can buy a dictation program.
    Hey BronxBoy!

Yes, I am using mVoice for voice memos on my 700P. My point was that this no keyboard thing has me intruiged: I cannot envision my fingers being able to select and manipulate text efficiently on a handheld touchscreen. If Steve has done that -- WOW.
    My unlocked 680 will probably (unfortunately) be my last palm product. I have owned almost all of the Handspring devices and have enjoyed the good as well as tolerated the bad. The in-ability to handle voice/data at the same time for one example, is a major problem for palm. iPhone & others are raising the bar, palm just does not seem to be able to get back to front part of that curve/cutting/bleeding edge. Is it me or did this start to evolve just after palm acquired handspring?
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hey BronxBoy!

Yes, I am using mVoice for voice memos on my 700P. My point was that this no keyboard thing has me intruiged: I cannot envision my fingers being able to select and manipulate text efficiently on a handheld touchscreen. If Steve has done that -- WOW.
    I certainly don't know if he has, but it was strongly implied, in the presentation (notes) that they've got a magic trick that makes the touchscreen much more accurate - presumably despite the relative size of the fingers that may be using them.

If he's (/I'm) wrong, the device will tank in a big way. No doubt about it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Being a dedicated Mac guy, I'm going to be taking a long, hard look at the iPhone when it's finally shipping. Me and about 1/2 the planet! But for now my Treo 680 is just fine. I don't ask too much of my Treo. I need a dependable phone (duh), calendar (DateBk5 is ideal for me), contacts (Palm has always excelled with the basic PIM funtions), SMS messaging, bluetooth ('cuz it's just so convenient - file transfers, hands free, etc), mobile email (yeah, Chattermail!) and document viewing (Docs to Go). I have a separate iPod for music because of battery life. I have yet to find a better solution than Palm's, all it's niggling little issues not withstanding. Nothing is perfect, but I've tried Blackberries (7230, 7730, 7105t, Pearl), Sony-Ericssons (T610, V800, K790i), plus some WM devices like the Audiovox SMT5600. All have a killer feature that they do better than the competition, but none do it ALL so well as the Treo. Thanks to the doubled memory on the 680 compared to the 650 stability issues appear to be finally in the past. I'm sure some folks will still have crashing/freezing problems but I dare say it will be far less than we saw with the 650s. I guess there will always be problems when you install 3rd party apps and have to trust the developer to have done his homework. You can't blame Palm if a Pimlico app doesn't play well with one by Resco (just throwing a few names out there - I haven't had issues with either). I'm eager to see what Palm does next as far as an OS goes. But for now I'm ready to keep giving them my money.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm a little confused about where you stand.

You have more than enough memory on your 650 (which is surprising, but cool).
    That suggests that you prefer the Treo.

But you'd prefer faster internet and a smaller form factor.
    That suggests that you prefer the iPhone.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.
    It is very simple. I want a GSM Treo 650 (680?) with faster internet and a smaller form factor. That is not anywhere near the same as an iphone. I want my keyboard, 3rd party apps, replaceable battery, just to name a few things that the iphone does not have.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Forget the faster internet on GSM, unless you go for WM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    EDGE isn't bad for email, but for web-browsing it's a bit pokey
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12