Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Whatever Palm ships now would be what they have been developing 12 months ago. It would not be in response to the IPhone. That could only come in 12 months at least.

Surur
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Apple worked on their own device for 2 and a half years, without any leak. Who knows what Palm is working on and for how long. As I have stated, its my "believe" based on putting some pieces of puzzle, and based on my common sense. It won't surprise me if they introduce new models, or new software in their Analyst Day in April or anytime later in the year and reveal that they have been working on it for past 3 years. Historically Palm has revealed a phone within one months before introducing it to the market (except 750 which was a different story). The other point about my first comment is that Apple, after working on a phone for 2 and a half years, is not going to change the iPhone in near future, my guess is 18 months to two years from June, and by then, we will see so many superior products being introduced to the market, specifically by Palm. Thats why its not fair to compare the product to the existing products.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Ouch!

Surur
    They are good at after market products. Almost as good as Seidio.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    we will see so many superior products being introduced to the market, specifically by Palm.
    what wi-fi might appear on a device? surely that for 2020?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348 View Post
    ... I am really astonished by amount of the hatred and criticism toward Treo and Palm ignited by the introduction of iPhone.

... In past couple of years Palm has been only a hardware manufacturer. They don't like this and they have been making the right moves to get out of their current status, and this takes time, a lot of it.
    You are absolutely right that Palm is not dead, but their next device will be the most significant indicator of their future health. They need a 'knock-out' response in order to re-establish credibility. I really liked the Treo 600, and the 700p may be a good device after the ROM update. I think Palm needs to show more agility both in getting patches out and in how they respond to Apple's announcement if they want to survive.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Phone Diva, I believe they might come out with something before June, but I don't think they would come out with their "Mercedes" of their line by then. It would be a very bad decision to go head to head with iPhone. There is so much hype around this product. I believe we will see a leap forward by Palm either at the end of the 2007 or beginning of 2008, after all the dusts from iPhones lunch is settled. I truly believe that they will finally come out with their own OS (Linux, no Access) and some new form factor, maybe a combination of a Treo and LifeDrive, much like iPhone but some sort of a physical keyboard attached, like Sony Ericsson P900.

I am really astonished by amount of the hatred and criticism toward Treo and Palm ignited by the introduction of iPhone. Not because I don't agree that iPhone is a great product, but because nobody is being fare toward Treo line and Palm.
    That's too late, there are several other phones coming out, even besides the iPhone. I started to dislike Palm's slowness way before the iPhone, due to lack of current features on $400+ phones. If they do ride on the 680 and 750 until late 2007/early 2008, they'd better have a SERIOUS kick **** device or they will slide even further.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Does anyone remember the 180G? That product failed compared to the keyboard version. The lack of good text entry will reduce the iPhone to a very expensive music player.

The iPhone IMO will fail too. 8GB RAM? So what, shortly 8GB SD cards will be cheap - I can have 10 of those. Also, the last thing I'd want in my phone is a hard drive. They have a hard enough time making solid state reliable.

The Treo is targetted at more of a business audience or, in the case of the 680 the same audience as the Sidekick. The addition of WiFi would be nice but the VAST majority of cell phone users probably wouldn't have a real use for it.
    I suggest you all read Palm's Design Philosophy.

Google, "Palm's Design Philosophy"
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    I like the Treo. I have the 8525 and the Treo 750, and from a WM5 perspective (my preferred OS), the Treo is a lot better in terms of useability. I'm not even trying to make it any better, I loaded up the apps I use and now I don't tweak it at all. I'm not looking for ways to make it better because it already does everything I want my PDAphone to do. My whole point is that Palm has delivered, and delivered a fine product. Many will disagree, many will agree. But in the end, it works well.

Palm does have to come out with more innovative devices though. Now with the good looking fashion phones coming out with more and more advanced features, its imperative for Palm to make a phone that looks good and has a better footprint and thickness. That's one key to Palm's future success - aesthetics. Make it something that when people see it, they actually think it looks sexy, it always helps sales. Next up - add some advanced features. Wifi is good because people in europe, canada have those exhorbitant prices for data. GPS? Sure why not, the "mercedes" version should get all 4 wireless radios (phone, gps, bt, wifi). But that's not innovation, that's the future of PDAphones and some devices already have all of that, and there are more coming.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    [HTML]Phone Diva, I believe they might come out with something before June

Guesswork? Rumour? Source?[/HTML]

CGK, as I mentioned before, it was my educated guess, by here is the rumour that you were asking for.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...1h-07-roadmap/
    Last edited by ash1348; 01/18/2007 at 12:49 PM.
    Apple worked on their own device for 2 and a half years, without any leak. Who knows what Palm is working on and for how long. As I have stated, its my "believe" based on putting some pieces of puzzle, and based on my common sense. It won't surprise me if they introduce new models, or new software in their Analyst Day in April or anytime later in the year and reveal that they have been working on it for past 3 years. Historically Palm has revealed a phone within one months before introducing it to the market (except 750 which was a different story). The other point about my first comment is that Apple, after working on a phone for 2 and a half years, is not going to change the iPhone in near future, my guess is 18 months to two years from June, and by then, we will see so many superior products being introduced to the market, specifically by Palm. Thats why its not fair to compare the product to the existing products.
    [HTML]Phone Diva, I believe they might come out with something before June

Guesswork? Rumour? Source?[/HTML]

CGK, as I mentioned before, it was my educated guess, by here is the rumour that you were asking for.

I get a 404 when I click on that url.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Sorry, I took it from another post here on TC. Here is the one that works:

13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    And they suggest it's a spirit version of the 680 or 750 - so nothing new there.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Sorry, I took it from another post here on TC. Here is the one that works:

They better announce it soon. I am planning on a Q in 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erch63 View Post
    They better announce it soon. I am planning on a Q in 30 days.
    but do you really want to wait til JUNE?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And they suggest it's a spirit version of the 680 or 750 - so nothing new there.
    There are few gaps in the CDMA or WM line-ups. It is UMTS and POS where we need help. Perhaps more important, these are the products essential to Palm's survival. They are niche players in the WM market and even with it, they cannot compete with BB.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    heh - you'll have to forgive me - while I under the american market place in term of the technical standard, the practical outcome of that is all a bit vague to me (being that in the UK - it's all GSM - well besides 3 but that's a duffer network), so any phone will work on any network.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    but do you really want to wait til JUNE?
    No it would have to be pretty cool. That is why they need to have some info leaked. Anyone have Palm's number direct, maybe they would tell me.
    I'd like to see some leaked specs too. But Palm has a bad habit of announcing things at the last minute and selling them within the month. We MAY not find anythng out until mid-May. By that time, I'll have 2 other new devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd like to see some leaked specs too. But Palm has a bad habit of announcing things at the last minute and selling them within the month. We MAY not find anythng out until mid-May. By that time, I'll have 2 other new devices.
    We have had "leaked specs" here for years. There has been no relation between those specs and what Palm has delivered. They are all about Silly Season.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/18/2007 at 06:50 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast