1. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Cool, our smartphones are considered 'advanced smartphones', hehe.

So we can go up to a Pearl user and say, "my smartphone is smarter than yours!!!".
  2.    #3  
    Or better yet ...... "my phone is smarter than your smartphone"
    I like and use Palm OS. But CR describes it as "The most versatile OS".

A bit of a stretch.. don't you think?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    not really.
    from a users standpoint, the OS is your interface to thw device. from that perspective, think of how easy and intuative it is to get the basics done on a palm treo. phone, email, sms all one handed easy operations on the palm treo.

win mobile 5 is technically superior because of true multitasking, but what about the basic interface and usability for phone, email, sms and web? is it as easy as the palm.

something to ponder
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    To me: Versatile = ability to do many things. Not the ability to do things more easily.

Anyway.We are splitting hairs.

I hope Palm comes up with a multitasking OS that will run the current POS applications (I don't care what's running it beneath the surface).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    To me: Versatile = ability to do many things.
    what cant the palm os do?

I hope Palm comes up with a multitasking OS that will run the current POS applications
    so what you meant to say "ability to do many things at the same time"
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what cant the palm os do?
    I think it does a lot of things, but there are signs that people are looking to Windows as the first mobile os, and Palm as the second (kind of like the desktop and mac os x). For instance, when Sling wrote their mobile player, look where they went first. That is why I was so surprised that Google's maps were available for both at the same time (on that note, google maps rocks if you haven't tried it).
    I am a Palm UI fan--it is simple and easy to use. Thus I can see selecting the 700p by Consumer Reports. Their audience is way, way different from TreoCentral's.

Whenever I get a chance to recommend a Treo I recommend the "p" over the "w" or "wx", at least for average civilians.

Now onward to me--a 650 owner on T-Mobile. I've used lots of WM devices, always coming back to the Palm OS.

Last night's experience tells me, however, that I sorely need multi-tasking and (reversing a prior bias) wifi.

Last night I was bored. All of the TVs were occupied by other family members. Computer taken by my son. So I fired up my T-Mobile SDA, which picked up my home wifi network just fine. Then I streamed somafm.com's Groove Salad into my SDA and from there into my ears.

I saw again how multitasking made things much easier, even though the SDA just has Smartphone and not full PPC. Yes, I also streamed Groove Salad over EDGE. But what if I want to receive calls, too? Better to stream on wifi.

Sure, I have an iPod. But why listen to music on an iPod when you can make a cell phone do it?

Moral of the story? The 750 is looking better and better and I think if you read TC posts, the heavy Treo users report to be enthusiastic adopters of WM, by and large.

The Palm UI may be destined for consumer use primarily, making the 700p (and the 680) just dandy for Normal Average Citizens. Hence, I'd agree with Consumer Reports.

Heavy sigh.

I hope that the unlocked 750 appears on palm.com soon. Cingular doesn't have 3G in Los Angeles <sarcasm> (yeah, Southern California only has half-a-dozen residents who want cell phone service, so why bother building capability when no one is going to buy it?) </sarcasm> so there is no reason for me to switch from T-Mobile.

But WOW did I burn up battery power fast streaming music over wifi to my SDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    so what you meant to say "ability to do many things at the same time"
    Yes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    My Moto Q multitasks. But its not something that has ever made me pump my fist and say "Yeah! An operating system that multitasks - FINALLY!!!" In fact, its kind of a pain in the *** because its not "advanced" enough to seemingly ever stop a program from running in the background. Three times a day I use the utility that "Kills All" the programs running in the background that are bogging down my Q...