Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (Rant ahead. Detour to bold text to get to the point quick, fast and in a hurry. )

I understand that, for some folks, the Treo is just "too much phone" for them. I would think they'd know that before the purchase, but maybe not. It's hard to say now that I've been a TreoNUT for two full years. I'm not sure I sure I still have access to my old newbie perspective.

Here's the thing, though: I have an associate who has been complaining about her Treo 650 since about a month after she got it, but she never/hardly ever took the time to find out how to solve the problems she encountered - despite having me and others (including the internet) as a resource.

Now, she's gotten rid of her Treo and picked up some other QWERTY phone. Hopefully, it'll work out for her, but I can't help shaking my head because her Treo could've been all that and more, to her, if she'd only TRIED - if she'd just put forth an effort to use the resources around her to, say...

* Turn the frickin' voicemail icon off.
    * Stop the phone from accidentally dialing when it bumps against something.
    * Keep her cats' tails from ending her calls prematurely.

I'll admit, sometimes using the Treo can be frustrating, but what's up with the people who don't even TRY (minimal effort) to make their devices work for them?

"I've got Bluetooth phone, but won't buy/use a BT headset b/c they don't know how to pair."

Sorry, but I didn't wanna give her a hard time (cuz it really ain't my business, I know), so I thought I'd come here and vent/share how I feel about this kinda thing. I get excited when folks I know get sweet devices like these, so I also get disappointed when they trash'em because it's too "hard" trying to do something as simple as get rid of the doggone voicemail icon!

*sigh*

Thanks. That's better!
    Glad we were here for you and could help.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    The majority of the people who own Treos have no idea what these phones are capable of. Most of my friends that use a Treo barely us the web browser, or email programs. The really savvy ones manage to play movies using TCPMP, and that's about it. For these people the enV, blackberry, or sidekick is more then enough! Blows my mind too, then again. I don't mind too much, I miss the days when there were fewer Treo owners, I felt more 'special' then.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    You must lower your expectations. Most people don't have the time or, unfortunately, lack the curiousity and urge to find out more about their devices.

As Hanuman said, most folk I know with their treo just use it for sms/web, email is a distant third! If you think about it, Qwerty was really not an option on other phones until VERY recently. It's OK to hate T9!! Now that there's other options, let people go. It's not worth the anger, which I used to feel also.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have to say the second most proudest moment of my life was when my wife showed me something new on her Treo 650 that I didn't know. I am usually the one who sets up everything. As far as her friends go... They use treo's or smartphones to text and scheduling nail and hair appointments.

BTW isn't this why the 680 is being marketed?
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I normally qualify the users to four general groups:

1. The regular phone users who expect the phone side to work like they are used to, i.e. turn it on, dial either via fast dial or manual and talk to someone, end of use. Minor need for other functions, just owns the device because they saw someone important have them.

2. The former PDA only users, who expects all the PDA functions to work plus the integrated function with the phone. These users demand that the PDA functions work flawlessly without losing their information plus the integration with the phone functions, like dial phone via contact list, notes on calls, emails, messaging etc. Not really a heavy phone user but more of data user.

3. Business users: users that want their phone to be their business PC on the road. These are combination of the first 2 groups. These users have no time to tinker on adding new functions. They just want to buy off the shelf and expects the device to work. These are extremely demanding phone and data user.

4. Tech-savvy users: users that have the combined qualities of 1, 2 and 3 (not all) but has the can do attitude plus wants to push the device beyond its limits. These users may have taken apart the PC when the PC first came out and converted them to super devices in one form or another. They are doing the same to the mobile PDA/Phone combo devices, no matter what OS it is be it Palm, WM, Symbian, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    "I've got Bluetooth phone, but won't buy/use a BT headset b/c they don't know how to pair." ....
    These are the same people who does not know how to change the time on the VCR when it did not used to have the auto time settings.
    I don't diagree but how hard must must someone try and how much effort should be put into using a device? Actually, the device should be easy to use and make the person's life easier. Putting forth considerable effort to me means the device is not doing its job.

Let's admit it, Treo's have some major draw backs. They crash often, they don't multi-task, and the way the navigation is set up just plain sucks (see second complaint). I think the frustration from most people is, as others have mentioned, learning how to "get along" with the Treo. Don't get me wrong, I like my Treo but I also _love_ my Nokia 6620. Put a qwerty keypad on it and a larger screen and it would kill most other phones on the market. But I do like my Treo 650 also... it just has some "character" flaws that I've learned to work around. Once a person learns these, and accepts them, they can see that the good things mostly outweight the bad.

(I'm not trying to rag on the Treo's in this post... just trying to put things into perspective).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    I don't diagree but how hard must must someone try and how much effort should be put into using a device? Actually, the device should be easy to use and make the person's life easier. Putting forth considerable effort to me means the device is not doing its job.

Let's admit it, Treo's have some major draw backs. They crash often, they don't multi-task, and the way the navigation is set up just plain sucks (see second complaint). I think the frustration from most people is, as others have mentioned, learning how to "get along" with the Treo. Don't get me wrong, I like my Treo but I also _love_ my Nokia 6620. Put a qwerty keypad on it and a larger screen and it would kill most other phones on the market. But I do like my Treo 650 also... it just has some "character" flaws that I've learned to work around. Once a person learns these, and accepts them, they can see that the good things mostly outweight the bad.

(I'm not trying to rag on the Treo's in this post... just trying to put things into perspective).
    It's a fair point. Minimal effort seems to be lacking, though.

Even clamshell phones have quirks, just like computers. Some are hard to circumvent. Some aren't.

Q: Did you say they don't multi-task? Does that include Windows-based models?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I get this at clients all the time, they have multi tray printers but only use the top tray and manually go over and swap the paper when they want to print on letterhead You try and explain how to setup their PC's to select different trays but they are always too busy or clicking anything other than the print icon on the toolbar is too complicated. If they're not interested in using things properly why buy them. It's like buying a car and only using first gear because changing gear would mean having to learn something new.
  11.    #11  
    Couldn't have said it better, myself.
    I have often surmised that a fair percentage of users, maybe even the majority of Treo owners have never syncronized their phone to their PC and frankly, can't even imagine why someone might want to do that...

I pretty much gave up trying to make small talk in bars using either my Treo or my Moto Q as an entre - too often whatever I tried to bring up beyond "Hey, nice Treo" was soon followed by a blank stare...
    Not trying to belittle anyone, but gotta say that a LOT (maybe even the majority) of people really don't know what TRYING really means. One failure is all it takes for them to say it is too hard, or they don't understand.

That is why Microsoft Windows is such a fantastic product and a horrible product at the same time. The user has little NEED to understand how to make the PC work better. The downside of this is that users become incompetent when it comes to troubleshooting their own PC.

Part of the 'I want it NOW' problem. Few are willing to make the effort to learn something new. ESPECIALLY true as they get older (I am 59) and MOST my age are very reluctant to learn new things. Much easier to just go along, and get someone else to fix it. Or, just return it as too difficult to use!
    (end of rant)
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I normally qualify the users to four general groups:

1. The regular phone users who expect the phone side to work like they are used to, i.e. turn it on, dial either via fast dial or manual and talk to someone, end of use. Minor need for other functions, just owns the device because they saw someone important have them.
    These are the same users who pop into TreoCentral, and other similar forums to loudly announce that their Treo, Moto Q, Blackjack, PPC-device "Sucks!", and who can BARELY produce a coherent sentence, and seem to yearn for some kind of functionality in a device that they...can't...quite...articulate. I find that these people tend to congregate around any thread that involves battery life.

Another, sub-user group are the chislers and Discount Danny's who can't come to grips with the fact that DATA costs MONEY - as though it comes as some kind of suprise to them...

I have often felt that one of the most important distinctions in Treo/Smartphone users were "Business Class" and "Consumer Class" users - business users being more interested in email access and functionality, consumer uers being more concerned about entertainment options, and being far more price conscious. Its always awkward when you get most any discussion string that involves BOTH kinds of users...
    I do desktop support.

you ever go to someones desktop and are surprise when they are surprised when you alt-tab or cut/paste? i am.

what is the saying most ppl only use 20% of the available feature of software. I suspect that a huge majority use less than that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I can't tell you how often a co-worker comes to me and hands me a new phone, saying,

"I need help. Can you set this up for me?"

"Sure," I answer. "What do you want it to do?" Seems like a fair question, no?

"I don't know. Whatever it does."

D'oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    I do desktop support.

you ever go to someones desktop and are surprise when they are surprised when you alt-tab or cut/paste? i am.
    Its even worse when that person is your girlfriend...
    Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post

Let's admit it, Treo's have some major draw backs. They crash often, ........
    I would just like to say for the benefit of non-Treo people reading this that my 650 NEVER (yes NEVER) spontaneously crashes.
    Well I think a Treo is a lot of commitment to ask a person to spend time on when they just want a piece of electronic appliance.

I have brought my car for a year and I still haven't read the manual.

And Treo definitely crash more than a regular phone, on average.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    And Treo definitely crash more than a regular phone, on average.
    Therein actually lies a bit of irony. For the unsophisticated user, the user who primarily wants to use the Treo as a phone, who carries it largely because it is cool, and who will never even consider adding a third party app, syncing with a desktop or Exchange server, or doing much more than sending text messages - I bet this user doesn't experience many more lockups or glitches than the user of a typical BREW OS cellphone...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast