Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've noticed that since I got my palm I'm missing calls. I have full bars but people will call and it will go right to voice mail and 1 minute later I will get the alert of voice mail. This happens almost everyday that I know of, maybe more but people don't leave messages and the only thing I can think of is maybe the palm is checking email(every minute) and the call can't come through. Is this true, if a data connection is open the phone wont/can't work? If I'm surfing the web will I not receive phone calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by detzx View Post
    Is this true, if a data connection is open the phone wont/can't work? If I'm surfing the web will I not receive phone calls?
    That is correct for all Palm OS Treos.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    That is correct for all Palm OS Treos.
    So that makes sense on why I miss calls. Since I have it check email every minute and say it takes 10 seconds to check all accounts(5 accounts) than that's a lot of time that is not available to get calls, maybe I should set it to like 5 minutes or something?

Hmm..never mind, I already have it set to five minutes.
    1. which treo do you have ?
    2. if you used true push email with an imap account (chatteremail.com) you could get your email when it arrives and get phone calls too.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    1. which treo do you have ?
    2. if you used true push email with an imap account (chatteremail.com) you could get your email when it arrives and get phone calls too.
    1.) 680
    2.) 3 are imap, 2 are pop soo...
    1.) 680
    2.) 3 are imap, 2 are pop soo...
    I'd suggest you try chatter. Set the imap accounts up as push and the pop as checked every 30 minutes or 1 hour. ...Works for me
    As I understand it, with GSM, you can get calls while you are using data. With CDMA, you cannot get calls while on the 1X (VZW) network, however, if you are on EVDO, the call will interrupt your data access.
    So that makes sense on why I miss calls. Since I have it check email every minute and say it takes 10 seconds to check all accounts(5 accounts) than that's a lot of time that is not available to get calls, maybe I should set it to like 5 minutes or something?

Hmm..never mind, I already have it set to five minutes.

Checking five accounts every five minutes will take time. Using Chatter will definitely cut back on the data time used for your IMAP accounts if they support IDLE (most do).

However, note that when mail is downloading, your voice calls still won't ring. And when you're talking on the phone, Chatter will not download your email. (I've also noticed that initiating a voice call will interrupt an email download.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    As I understand it, with GSM, you can get calls while you are using data. With CDMA, you cannot get calls while on the 1X (VZW) network, however, if you are on EVDO, the call will interrupt your data access.
    Even with GSM you cannot have Voice Call + Data. Some carriers interrupt data (not terminate a GPRS connection) and route a voice call. Others (like my carrier) don't bother with these niceties. A voice call should always have priority.

3G is different, I guess.
    With Cingular, if your using GPRS, it will stop and you will get the call.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Not to mention checking email every five minutes will KILL your battery.