1. zev
    The Treo 650 had a partial rubber case on it, but it got wet outside, and inside the battery case. It immediately turned off ...looking quite DEAD. I was able to get back to my house five minutes later, and use a heat gun to dry it as best as I could. Nothing happened. I plugged in the phone a few minutes ago and it did nothing. Now it reset itself, but the screen is frozen.

ANY Help here ???
    When your device gets wet, the first thing you should do is remove the battery. Then dry it for a couple of days (at least 24 hours). NEVER try to charge it. Chances are, your Treo will never be the same
    They have survived much worse. See...

Washed My Treo http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97545
    We are happily using a cheap cell phone that my son found at the bottom of a (filled) swimming pool. I let it dry for a month, then charged it up and am happily using it. Let it dry out really well before using.

I've washed (with dish detergent and water) keyboards that got gunked up. Drying with mild heat in a big bag with vent holes can speed up the process, but temperature must be monitored. Time is probably the best solution.
    For the final touch in drying it out:

Get as many of those silca packets as you can find (pharmacies and electronic shipping cartons are a good source) and place them and the Treo in a sealed ziplock bag on a sunny window sill for 2 days. The silca packets can suck moisture right out of tight spots -- even between the touch screen layers. . . . .

Good Luck.

Cheers, Perry.
  6. zev
    I appreciate the quick follow ups ! If this doesn't work, what phone do you recommend I try to trade it in for? I saw a thread on this here, where a 650 was traded for a 700 with a $150 charge.

I've had about three 600's and two 650's with Sprint and this last phone WAS fine I don't need more features than what are on the 650, as I rarely use email and have no use for windows because I usually have my laptop with me. What I love about the Treo is the Palm software, contacts and calendar make my life organized...

Any recommendations for Treo or a competitive replacement?
    Quote Originally Posted by zev View Post
    What I love about the Treo is the Palm software, contacts and calendar make my life organized...
    By that I infer that you want to stay with Palm OS.

If GSM: Treo 680
    If Verizon or Sprint: Treo 700p
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    ... Chances are, your Treo will never be the same
    I've dropped a treo 600 into the washing machine. I let it dry out on it's own and it was 100% back to it's normal self after a week. Regarding using a blow dryer, I probably wouldn't. I think you are just vaporizing the water and it will end up in other places inside the treo and probably take longer to dry out.

I like the idea of using silica gel packets. Be patient. Wait about a week before reinstalling the battery and everything will probably be fine. If some keyboard keys do not work right, they will probably dry out in a few more days.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Do you have insurance on the phone
    My 700p got soaked while on a raft ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom - it was in a neoprene pouch but the pouch got FILLED with water. It died immediately thereafter - no life for a couple of days, then I got a color-pattern screen, and then it blinked back to life after about five days. It worked okay, with a few quirks for a couple days, then died more or less completely. I sent it in to a repair company in New Jersey that had a go at fixing it, but they returned it as irrepairable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    My 700p got soaked while on a raft ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom - it was in a neoprene pouch but the pouch got FILLED with water.
    And people laugh at me cause I always carry a Ziploc bag in my purse... A grocery sack, too!
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Bummer, I thought you had resuscitated that little guy.

Sorry to hear . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    My 700p got soaked while on a raft ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom - it was in a neoprene pouch but the pouch got FILLED with water. It died immediately thereafter - ... repair company in New Jersey ... returned it as irrepairable.
    Shucks, I guess I won't try dropping the 700p in the washing machine! :-)

Keefer, That's definitely a sad story, but hopefully there were other magical moments to lessen the blow!

Zev, please let us know if your 700p resuscitates (sp?) or ends up in the same fate as Keefer's. (It would be nice to get more data points on the H2O survivability of the 700p.) I'd think yours has an excellent chance of survival since frozen H20 probably limited the amount of liquid H20 in contact with your treo's electronics.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    spelling

Ya -- I had to look it up. Couldn't find it in the dictionary. Finally openned MSWord -- typed it as I thought -- then got the drop down menu of suggestions on "What in the heck are you tryin to type?"
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi View Post
    And people laugh at me cause I always carry a Ziploc bag in my purse... A grocery sack, too!
    Hah...and they laughed at me when I went to ocean's of fun with my treo in a ziploc bag in my pocket....didn't get it wet tho...
    Cameras, cell phones, wallet, Treo . . . . . whatever.

Zip locks are a priceless theme park necessity.

Don't leave home without them.