Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really don't see why Palm can't use Cobalt now. When the 650 came out, the memory requirements for Colbat wouldn't work. It needs 32MB SDRAM + 32MB NAND Flash to run. With the 650 only having 32MB RAM total, I can see why they didn't want to use it.

But now, the 680, 700p and newer Treos have memory beyond this limit, and could easily run Cobalt. With it being backwards compatible with Palm OS apps, and fully multithreaded, why not use it?

This would be a good solution to get the Treos through the next couple years until a Linux OS is available.

BTW - If nobody is using Cobalt, why is it still on their site?

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html
    Last edited by NickDG; 12/31/2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling error
    "She's dead, Jack." [/chinatown]
    Cobalt belongs to Access, not Palm. Palm now has a perpetual license to Garnet, meaning they can do what they want with it. The consensus view is that Palm will use this IP, and leverage the free open source work to make a new PalmLinux, without the limitations of POS.

The only question really is how ambitious Palm will be. Will they go far a stop-gap solution to get something out into the market quickly, or will they spend a few years going for a truly next gen OS. Palm unfortunately has a history of going the quick and dirty route (Thats what Garnet was supposed to be) so I have no doubt PalmLinux will leave much to be desired.

Surur
    I read somewhere that one developer said cobalt was a disaster. It ran really bad and crashed all the time, so palm pulled the plug.
    Playing with it on the simulator (that is the only tools that were provided to developers) it didn't seem to be too unstable. I liked it, at least.

I don't know the exact reason for its failure, but I have been told by somebody on PalmSource's QA Team (ex-PalmSource employee now) that she believed that the fact that upper management came in and switched focus from multimedia to wireless (cellphone/smartphone) attributed to the failure. I have also read that the driver system was pretty difficult.

That is just what I have heard. It could have been one thing or it could have been many things. I don't know the answer and I am sure that we will never really know exactly why.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG
    Why not? It is a product with the potential to have customers. Although, paying for people that know Cobalt can be costly (unless they also work with something).
    its one of the biggest failures of this generation. it forever put a big black eye on the reputation of palm.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    cobalt is lying peacefully within its tomb. dont hold your breath for its resurrection.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    looking over its specs delineated on that site, you come to see that cobalt might actually improve every capability within the treo smartphone, including adding multitasking and wifi capability!!!

So why would palm ever want to retain the rights to its development, let alone plans to ever use it?

why trade the crash-prone instability of garnet for the prospects of major product enhancement with an os like cobalt? I don't blame palm.... sell that damn thing off and stick with the bandaged up turds, ya know?

I mean its simply counter-intuitive!!!
    Palm "released" Cobalt and for TWO YEARS not one device was made with it.

Palm gave not incentive or support for hardware makers.

It's vaporware, only existing in simulation.

It's a miracle Palm stayed in business after the greatest debacle in PDA history.

Only buying Handspring/The Treo saved them (temporarily).

A bunch of ***** execs ran a company with 80% market share into the ground - great case study on how to kill the golden goose.

Very similar to what Sculley and Co. did to Apple in the late 80's early 90's.
    Funny you said it, becuase the person behind Apple's cannelled OS8 "copland(?)" project was the one who ran PalmSource. Can't remember his name now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

Only buying Handspring/The Treo saved them (temporarily).

A bunch of ***** execs ran a company with 80% market share into the ground - great case study on how to kill the golden goose.

Yes. I believed from the start of the Palm/PalmSource spinoff that it was one of the worst buisiness decisions I had ever seen. My first reaction as "WTF" except not abreviated. Obviously they realized this quickly.

Cobalt has...or would have had... some great capabilities. USB OTG, native support for video conferencing, streaming, hardware OpenGL.

All wonderful...but unfortionately it seems some development issues made it less enticing for the hardware companies. This probably could have been fixed, but Access bought PalmSource and decided that they were going to go to ALP and downplay Cobalt, thus sealing it's fate. Again...too bad...such potential.

Interesting aside on Palm's management: My father bought a bunch of Palm stock in the mid 1990's. You would figure it would be a great company to own, because it had the PDA market cornered and was really a force in the 1990's. Pretty much if you wanted portable computing, you got a Palm.

Their sales were great. They got great press. He first got it, because he saw all the buisinessmen around him were snapping up Palm devices and they seemed to be doing a great job on it.

Well....the stock performance was lackluster...to say the least...didn't pay off too well. It was hard to understand: Good sales. Great market nitch. Excellent growth industry. Highly profitable product.

The problem, according to the brokers and investment reports was "There's in a great position, but VERY poorly managed." Apparently the Street had decided that their management was just not up to par and that's too important in a companies value.

Oh well... Hope they can get things back on track. It looks like they're at least trying.
    It kind of reminds me of a big brown transportation company who's stock I used to own. They made money in spite of themselves, not because of themselves.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Cobalt is a chevy product... far as I know no other company launched anything with such a name... :0

I agree with all the posts about Palm's management... I've been saying that for years (before it was popular to say....).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I think the major problem with Palm is that it is led by brainiacs, not businessmen - although even that is VERY debatable.

The palmsource spinoff as well as the name change from Palm to palmone and back now to Palm is just characteristic of schizophrenics as opposed to brainiacs.

I don't know about Colligan, but Jeff Hawkins is an extremely intelligent individual - a scientist essentially. Such types rarely make shrewd businessmen or successful CEOS.

This is the problem with Palm.
    I truly think its time a seasoned, business-savvy computer company buys Palm out and puts those water-treading execs at Palm out of their misery. Replace them with CEO's who have a pulse on tech trends as well as strong business models.

It is excrutiatingly painful to look back over the chronology of Palm's business decisions. They repeatedly make monumentally stupid calls for a group of supposed intellectuals who claimed leadership in the "smart" phone market. Leaders? I say the keystone cops of the smartphone arena.

A truly baffling example of poor company management indeed. Take the ball away from 'em already, its time to go to a reliever from the bullpen..
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    To make it look like they've been doing something since Garnet was originally released
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    This is the problem with Palm.
    I truly think its time a seasoned, business-savvy computer company buys Palm out and puts those water-treading execs at Palm out of their misery. Replace them with CEO's who have a pulse on tech trends as well as strong business models...
    I keep an eye on Palm's stock. Apparently some analysts say that Palm is a poor take over target (despite its ridiculously cheap price at the moment) due to Palm's real talent being in their execs/founders, and that these people are very wont to leave when they lose control of the company, as they did to start Handspring, taking their vision with them.

So take over Palm, Donna and Ed and Jeff leaves to start another competitor, and be left with a stagnant business line. Palm hit a 52 week low two weeks ago, yet their don't even appear to be nibbles, despite owning a large part of the smartphone market. Palm just does not inspire confidence.

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I've been watching Palm's stock as well. The only glint of curiosity I found lately was that George Soros bought 100,000 shares in the last couple of months. Otherwise, I'm in complete agreement that Palm is bad news.
    It looks like Palm will be left to hang themselves with their own rope. Very sad to see such a promising productline being mismanaged by buffoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Funny you said it, becuase the person behind Apple's cannelled OS8 "copland(?)" project was the one who ran PalmSource. Can't remember his name now.
    No way!! This is the same guy?! Jeez, I would have thought they took him out behind 1 Infinite Loop and shot him, way back when. They certainly would have if here were a horse! I can't believe the same guy responsible for the Copeland fiasco got another chance, then did the same thing. I had such high hopes for Cobalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I don't know about Colligan, but Jeff Hawkins is an extremely intelligent individual - a scientist essentially. Such types rarely make shrewd businessmen or successful CEOS.
    That is why Jeff was never the CEO. He left the business role to Donna Dubinsky as well as Ed Colligan.

I think that the palmOne era screwed things up. It seems now that Palm is trying to get things back on track. Hopefully they pay a little more attention to the handheld market this year (I am having some doubts though).

Edit: From what I gather from the book "Piloting Palm," Colligan is probably a bit more suited for VP of Marketing (I think that is what his position at Palm, when part of 3Com, was. It had to do with advertising).
    Last edited by dkirker; 01/02/2007 at 12:24 PM.
    Jeff hawkin's treo 600 design is the only thing keeping palm alive. 5 years after, palm couldn't even make a new smartphone, they just keep rehashing the treo600.

just give palm's entire R&D budget to jeff . otherwise they'll just give us treo690 and treo 750z next year.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast