Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    My own favourite phone design? I always liked the look of this (yes I know it would never work like promised in practice and it's vapourware - if only! but one can wish).

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...phone-concept/
    If you like that, then you'd probably love this.

BTW, Galleon Group, an investment fund portfolio management firm that specializes in tech stocks (among others), owns about a 6% share of Synaptics. This company and its founder have quite an impressive track record. Guess which company they recently acquired about 6.2% ownership for about $100 Million in shares to add to their tech portfolio?

Palm, Inc.

Surur said he follows Palm stock, but he must have missed this bit of news or he only like to mention negative news about Palm.

Disclaimer: I do not/have not/don't plan to own and have no personal interest in Palm, Inc. stock.
    Sorry for the 2nd post, but I can't let this go without a response.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I dont think Palm believes it is big enough to afford a massive flop, hence their conservative designs. Their last revolutionary device (the LifeDrive) was just such a massive flop, and this probably dissuaded them even more. Notice that there has been no follow-up to the 'Mobile Manager' line at all.

Surur
    The LifeDrive (announced on 5/18/05) was not a revolutionary "Disruptive" device, but rather a "Breakthrough" device. See attached chart taken from the Palm Analyst Day meeting on 9/26/05. The LifeDrive was not Palm's "Secret Third Business" as Surur keeps insisting it is/was despite all the evidence.

Here's more proof that it wasn't the LifeDrive, again from the Palm Analyst Day on 9/26/05, but this time from Peter Skillman's presentation during a section titled, ""What's the foundation of Palm's next disruptive idea?":

When we talk about mobile computing, most people still think about a laptop. But we know that mobile computing is really something that goes in your hand, and that the next thing, the sort of next platform or category of products that we may create will be perhaps some combination of these two because there's an incredible need, set of needs that aren't being met by the existing products. And so if you look at those needs and focus on the customer experience, that's how you can continue to deliver value to your customers year after year.
    (Emphasis in bold is mine.)

And finally, from TreoCentral's very own Palm Analyst Day coverage:

Hawkins could not leave without a tease, and so he explained how the the original Palm and the Treo were revolutionary devices, and how everything else released by Palm were sustaining devices. Now, he claims that Palm is working on a 3rd revolutionary device that will keep the company going over the next half decade.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/11/2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add TC coverage quote
    I'm pretty happy with the form factor of my Treo 680. However, I would love to get rid of the D-pad and replace it with a clickable thumb wheel alá Blackberries. Maybe add a switch to turn off the touchability feature of the screen.
    Re only posting negative Palm stock news, I guess it wasn't me who put up a rather positive Palm graph in this thread.
    http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=133589

Anyway, re the LifeDrive being the third business, I still have not seen any evidence from Palm to suggest otherwise. If we can expect this revolutionary device in the next 3-6 months we should have head some solid rumours by now, and not manufactured speculation based on patents.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $LifeDrive$ $still$ $fits$ $the$ $definition$ $best$.

Surur
    Re only posting negative Palm stock news, I guess it wasn't me who put up a rather positive Palm graph in this thread.
    http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=133589
    Wow, that was quite the positive post...

Anyway, re the LifeDrive being the third business, I still have not seen any evidence from Palm to suggest otherwise. If we can expect this revolutionary device in the next 3-6 months we should have head some solid rumours by now, and not manufactured speculation based on patents.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $LifeDrive$ $still$ $fits$ $the$ $definition$ $best$.

Surur
    The evidence is clearly there, you just refuse to acknowledge it. Your logic of "If we can expect this revolutionary device in the next 3-6 months we should have head some solid rumours by now, and not manufactured speculation based on patents" is so flawed I don't know where to begin. But, if you insist on believing in this flawed logic, here's an explanation for you from Ed Colligan in Palm F2Q07 (Qtr End 12/1/06) Earnings Call Transcript:

Jonathan Goldberg - Deutsche Bank

Hi, thanks for taking my call. A couple of questions. Looking forward, I know you do not want to talk about numbers of new products, but are you looking also at new services or new software, something sort of novel that is really going to cement a competitive advantage?

Edward T. Colligan

Well, absolutely. Of course we are looking at how we can really differentiate in the marketplace. A big part of that is somehow coming up with a set of functionality, services, software application functionality that people say wow, I have to have that, and that makes my use of these products easier and more effective, and it is clearly from Palm.

Those are the kinds of things that excite us here. It is what really has driven our innovation history and it is what we are going to do. We have not exposed everything because it is a very competitive marketplace. It is something that we have to hold our cards pretty close to our vest, but it is part of why we are spending the money we are spending on R&D, is because we hope to develop some things that will really drive our differentiation and then drive the value of the company and the profits we can generate.
    Emphasis in bold is mine.

Here's some logic 101 for you.

1. Palm has stated that they're working on their next revolutionary, disruptive device, plain and simple. Indisputable. Show me some tangible evidence that refutes this, not a flawed assumption on your part.

2. The LifeDrive is not, by Palm's own definition, a disruptive device. Again, indisputable - show me the evidence, a quote, something that is counter to this.

3. Therefore, LifeDrive does not = Palm's next disruptive idea.

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 02/11/2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add Ed Colligan CC remarks
    Imagine releasing your revolutionary secret device, and having the whole world asking when you are going to release your amazing secret device.

How many years are we supposed to wait for this revolutionary device? Somehow I dont think Palm can admit anymore that there is no revolutionary device.

Surur
    I dont think Palm believes it is big enough to afford a massive flop, hence their conservative designs. Their last revolutionary device (the LifeDrive) was just such a massive flop, and this probably dissuaded them even more. Notice that there has been no follow-up to the 'Mobile Manager' line at all.

Surur
    I think they discontinued the LifeDrive because it no longer made sense to include a 4 GB hard drive in a PDA when flash memory is so cheap. It's the same reason that drove the decision to discontinue the iPod mini after such a short run.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think they discontinued the LifeDrive because it no longer made sense to include a 4 GB hard drive in a PDA when flash memory is so cheap.
    so wouldn't that lead to a decision to make a lifedrive2 with a flash drive, I see no evidence of such a product existing?

I notice a lot of people here going on about Palm's third business, but wasn't lifedrive supposed to be the first device of such a business?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    so wouldn't that lead to a decision to make a lifedrive2 with a flash drive, I see no evidence of such a product existing?
    How about a handheld that accepts flash sd cards?
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/

I notice a lot of people here going on about Palm's third business, but wasn't lifedrive supposed to be the first device of such a business?
    No one from Palm said that the LifeDrive was their third business.
    The Tx isn't a "Mobile Manager". AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ &$quot$;$drive$ $mode$&$quot$; $and$ $all$ $the$ $multimedia$ $utilities$ $the$ $LifeDrive$ $had$. $Its$ $just$ $another$ $T5$ $with$ $WIFI$. $In$ $fact$, $does$ $it$ $even$ $have$ $SDHC$?

The fact is that, barring palm announcing a replacement, the Mobile Manager line died with the failed LifeDrive experiment.

Surur
    The Tx isn't a "Mobile Manager".
    No one said it is. My point is that cheap flash memory has made portable 4GB drives obsolete. Why carry a hard drive for your photos when you can just get a bigger sd card? And with the cost of sd cards, there's little value in drive mode. As for SDHC, do you really think they won't support that on every new Palm device going forward?

The fact is that, barring palm announcing a replacement, the Mobile Manager line died with the failed LifeDrive experiment.
    So you're saying that unless they announce another Mobile Manager, they won't announce another Mobile Manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    So you're saying that unless they announce another Mobile Manager, they won't announce another Mobile Manager?
    Well, I dont want to eat crow if they suddenly make an announcement tomorrow but in general you announce new products before (or at least simultaneously) to EOL'ing the existing one.

Surur
    Where can one get access (no pun intended) to the Cobalt simulator?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    In a short while, you'll probably have to ask NOKIA that question.

....emphasis mine.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123