Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone tell me why all the new treos (except for the 680) have only 240x240 resolution? from what I've researched, all the 700s and the 750s have only 240x240 compared to the 320x320 of the 650 and 680. WTF? Why would they do this? No way in hell I'm going to drop $500 on a new phone, when the screen res is one of the most important features to me.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The 700P has 320X320 resolution. The lower resolution is more of a requirement of the Windows OS than anything else.
    You need to go with Palm OS if you want 320 x 320, as far as I know.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    320x320 shouldn't really be a deciding factor anyways. Too many Palm OS users think that 240x240 is a terrible res. However, I've switched back and forth and I never really saw enough of a difference to write off windows mobile. The more powerful OS, continuing support (and not an OS that is over 4 yrs old), and more customizable interface makes me believe that most Palm OS fans will make the switch sooner or later.
    I'll switch to Winblows when there is NO other choice. I'd take the same Palm OS with a few tweaks before I switch to WMO.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I love posts like these. I HATE WINDOWS FOR NO REASON AND I WON'T SWITCH EVEN THOUGH I HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH THAT PARTICULAR DEVICE/OS!!!!

Yea, really reasonable thinking there. Only immature high school students refer to windows as Winblows. Grow up and hop off of the MS bandwagon hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Only immature high school students refer to windows as Winblows. Grow up and hop off of the MS bandwagon hate.
    And Steve Jobs' disciples. (Macheads)
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    As others have mentioned, all the latest treos that operate with a Palm Operating system have the 320x320 screen - 700P (availible in the US on Sprint and Verizon) and the 680 (availible only on Cingular, with tmobile soon to follow). The slightly long in the tooth 650 also has 320x320 screen and that works (though may no longer be offered) on all 4 of these carriers.

All the treos running windows mobile have a resolution of 240x240 and right now the only models are 700w(Verizon), the 700wx (sprint) and hopefully very soon, the 750 which it seems will debut on cingular.

I have a 700p (verizon) and I absolutely love the 320x320 screen.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  9.    #9  
    So, the word is that the 750 will be coming to Cingular on January 9th. I have heard that they will offer both the Windows Mobile and a Palm OS version. Does anyone know if this means the 750p would have the 320x320 res? That would most certainly rule.
    I love posts like these. I HATE WINDOWS FOR NO REASON AND I WON'T SWITCH EVEN THOUGH I HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH THAT PARTICULAR DEVICE/OS!!!!

Yea, really reasonable thinking there. Only immature high school students refer to windows as Winblows. Grow up and hop off of the MS bandwagon hate.
    from my perspective and judging by your rude reply you need to grow up
    Quote Originally Posted by scythe000 View Post
    So, the word is that the 750 will be coming to Cingular on January 9th. I have heard that they will offer both the Windows Mobile and a Palm OS version. Does anyone know if this means the 750p would have the 320x320 res? That would most certainly rule.
    If there is a 750p, it would be 320x320 -- I would bet on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    from my perspective and judging by your rude reply you need to grow up
    judging by the fact that you judged me I think you should grow up. Woooo we could go all day with that one.

Regardless of your comment, my point was to illustrate (maybe I did exaggerate) how idiotic it is to judge anything because it has a certain characteristic or feature. Calling something Winblows? Yea, that's mature.
    Quote Originally Posted by scythe000 View Post
    I have not heard about anything regarding a Palm OS Treo 750. In fact, at this point, that is almost impossible given the fact that Palm OS can't handle UMTS/HSDPA. Therefore, don't hold your breath. The 680 is the Palm OS 750. End of story.

However, I bet Palm is working on a fix for the UMTS/HSDPA issue with Palm OS right now, given they have access to change the underlying source code of this particular aging OS. Palm will try to make it work, but it might fail. But there is no way that Palm could have it ready to go anytime soon.

Besides that, there have been no leaks or anything similar regarding a Palm OS Treo 750. Given Palm's...inability to keep things internal, we would have heard something by now.
    I work for Sprint, I have PLENTY of experience with WMO devices. They lock-up often usually due to to many programs running, the lower res screen, the lack of a download manager from Sprint are all legitimate reasons I will never switch. You assume an awful lot due to one word (winblows). You assume I have no reasons, you assume I'm immature and you assume you are SOO much more mature because you call me on it.

You don't know me so don't judge me, you don't like my comment ...FINE that's why they have an ignore button. Otherwise keep your Trollish Flamebait comments to yourself. Judging from the reaction from Ttrundle I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    I work for Sprint, I have PLENTY of experience with WMO devices. They lock-up often usually due to to many programs running, the lower res screen, the lack of a download manager from Sprint are all legitimate reasons I will never switch. You assume an awful lot due to one word (winblows). You assume I have no reasons, you assume I'm immature and you assume you are SOO much more mature because you call me on it.

You don't know me so don't judge me, you don't like my comment ...FINE that's why they have an ignore button. Otherwise keep your Trollish Flamebait comments to yourself. Judging from the reaction from Ttrundle I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Just because you work with devices doesn't make you an expert. In fact, if you really want to be good at your job instead of misleading customers that aren't as knowledgeable as people that frequently visit these forums, maybe you should educate yourself a bit to find out how to make the device more "stable" so your customers are happier.
    Oh this is priceless!!, now you judge my job performance based on one statement..

You don't know me from Adam, you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about my job or what I do or don't do, what I say or don't say. You think you know who I am and how I sell based on 2 posts??? You really must be something since you can tell SO MUCH based on so little. I'm a long time (join date Sep 2004) respected member here and elswhere. Who the **** are you???
    I switched from a Treo 650 to the Cingular 8125 and I work with nearly every device imaginable as a developer. Truthfully I really miss the 320x320 resolution. The PalmOS screen was much sharper.

For this reason I'll probably switch to a blackjack or something similar because at least it's 320x240. For many reasons I have to be on Windows Mobile, but this screen resolution is really a step backwards.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I had been using PalmOS devices since the M105. I've owned a number of 320x320 devices and while 320x320 was a nice res. to have, it wasn't everything. This past July, I finally switched to a WM5 device and have been pretty happy with it. The 240x240 res. of Palm's WM devices is not a big deal or a deal at all once you see the little tweaks Palm has put into the WM5 OS. It's just as useable and functional as the PalmOS which IMHO is just beginning to feel very old.

Now that I look back on it, my PalmOS devices have always required a number of 3rd party apps. to get them as functional as the couple of WM5 devices I have owned. One of the things people always say about PalmOS is that it's great because there are just so many more apps. available for it than WM. The thing is, many, many of those apps. are very old and aren't even being updated anymore by their creators. Many of them don't work with the newer PalmOS devices.

So far, with the little time I've been with WM5, resets have been equal on both platforms with most resets being caused by 3rd party apps.. WM5 does have some learning curve, but if you're one of those PalmOS "power users" getting accustomed to WM5 should be much easier for you than other PalmOS users.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    first off-- there's nothing wrong with a 4 year old OS. I've owned both palm and WM devices for the past 4 years. So, believe me, there is nothing new about Windows Mobile. Secondly, the difference between 240x240 and 320x320 is very noticable (lets be real.)

Sure, everyone has their preferences, but you can't argue against a persons list of short comings, brownie points and contrasts when comparing operating systems.

You just let your experience with either/or tailor your choice in what device you ultimatley end up stroking your stylus over.

See what I'm saying?
    Just because you work with devices doesn't make you an expert.
    You're moving the goalposts.

Whatever happened to?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva
    I HATE WINDOWS FOR NO REASON AND I WON'T SWITCH EVEN THOUGH I HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH THAT PARTICULAR DEVICE/OS!!!!
    Irony, that's what. You claimed someone didn't know what s/he was talking about, when you actually didn't know anything about that person.

Then you make assumptions about the person's work ethic.

I don't know either of you, but you appear to be out-of-line. It happens to the best of us.

Suck it up and move on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast