Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There's nothing wrong with a 10 year old OS either IF it suits your needs. If PalmOS suits your needs then stick with it. If it doesn't but WM5 does, then move to a WM5 device. I enjoyed the one-handedness (if that's a word) of the PalmOS, but I wanted the functionality of WM5, so I moved and am happy I did for my needs.

Going from a 700p to a 700wx, I initially noticed the difference in screen resolution. However, once I applied some tweaks to the wx to shrink the fonts and maximize the usable screen area, I did not notice that difference anymore.

Do I miss the 700p? Yes, but its like missing an ex-girlfriend. You tend to remember the good and forget the bad.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a 10 year old OS either IF it suits your needs. If PalmOS suits your needs then stick with it. If it doesn't but WM5 does, then move to a WM5 device. I enjoyed the one-handedness (if that's a word) of the PalmOS, but I wanted the functionality of WM5, so I moved and am happy I did for my needs.

Going from a 700p to a 700wx, I initially noticed the difference in screen resolution. However, once I applied some tweaks to the wx to shrink the fonts and maximize the usable screen area, I did not notice that difference anymore.

Do I miss the 700p? Yes, but its like missing an ex-girlfriend. You tend to remember the good and forget the bad.
    Niiiiiice.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    people are always concerned about what the next device does...the "new s---."

but what you really should ask yourself is: what can that device do for you?

I'm a bit more practical, myself. So I'm fine with my lackluster interface and my vga camera. It works for me.

When I had my 8125, 8525, 6915, 6700, 6600 etc. (I've had my fair share) I spent the majority of my time tweaking my registry or re-installing software because my phone crashed.

As far as "out of the box" fuctionality is concerned-- I always needed to install SPB pocketplus, a third party file explorer, reg. edit sw, searchtoday and opera mini, plus profimail to suite my needs, from jump street.

You gotta be careful with those generalized statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    I work for Sprint, ...
    Cool, DragonMan!
    I hadn't realized you are now working for Sprint! It's nice to see that they have some quality people like you on the team! I remember when you and I were some of the few who stayed on Treo 300's while everyone else upgraded to 600's and each of us had our treos replaced with 600's via lockline. I'm assuming you didn't work for Sprint back then. It's great to see that your love of these devices eventually translated into a job that closely matches your interests.

All the best,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Oh this is priceless!!, now you judge my job performance based on one statement..

You don't know me from Adam, you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about my job or what I do or don't do, what I say or don't say. You think you know who I am and how I sell based on 2 posts??? You really must be something since you can tell SO MUCH based on so little. I'm a long time (join date Sep 2004) respected member here and elswhere. Who the **** are you???
    Hi, I'm gadgetluva.
    Bclancy,
    You are exactly right. I Joined Sprint in Feb largely due to my love of Treos in particular and Wireless phones in general.

Gadgetluva,
    You are pretentious, rude and insulting. If you want to know me better try searching some of my 750 or so posts here. I'm sure you'll understand me a bit better than you do now. I seriously doubt you will however because it might shatter you pre-conceived ideas about me.

Either way I don't give a hoot what you do or don't do...welcome to my ignore list.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Back on Topic...IMHO the screen res is a small issue. I like Palm because I know it and have $100's invested in software. The higher screen res is more in the nature of an extra added bonus for us Palmlovers.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Bclancy,
    You are exactly right. I Joined Sprint in Feb largely due to my love of Treos in particular and Wireless phones in general.

Gadgetluva,
    You are pretentious, rude and insulting. If you want to know me better try searching some of my 750 or so posts here. I'm sure you'll understand me a bit better than you do now. I seriously doubt you will however because it might shatter you pre-conceived ideas about me.

Either way I don't give a hoot what you do or don't do...welcome to my ignore list.
    Don't take the internet too seriously there. And you're calling ME pretentious when YOU'RE the one basically stating that you're a big deal on these forums? Ha. What makes you think that I want to know anything about you? Its the internet, SERIOUS BUSINESS. Anything that you've just accused me of, you're guilty of too.

But let bygones be bygones, as you said, back to the real topic at hand.
    Back on Topic...IMHO the screen res is a small issue. I like Palm because I know it and have $100's invested in software. The higher screen res is more in the nature of an extra added bonus for us Palmlovers.
    I definitely agree about the screen res being a small issue.

However, I just don't see why so many other Palm OS loyalists give so many points to the Palm OS for its higher screen resolution. I owned a Treo 650 for a year and when I switched back to PPC (for good) earlier this year, I got over the resolution difference in about a day. Granted, some images look a bit better and you can decrease the size of fonts to a certain degree and still remain legible, but other than that, there wasn't really any trouble transitioning between 320x320/320x480 and 240x320/240x240. Now, don't get me wrong, the 320x320 screens are great and sharper than 240x240, but since its basically upscaling a 160x160 native OS, you're not really seeing more on the screen than a 240x240 device, especially on webpages.

I'm personally hoping that Access releases a version of Palm OS that is REALLY updated so it has all of the features (and hopefully more) of WM5/6 in a fresh clean OS. Unfortunately, devices running the new Access OS will probably be delayed, and won't be out for another year.
    It bugs me when people act as if how we treat each other online is irrelevant because "It's the internet."

People are still people, regardless of the medium through which they choose to communicate.

Part of being a grown-up is taking responsibility for your actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post

However, I just don't see why so many other Palm OS loyalists give so many points to the Palm OS for its higher screen resolution. I owned a Treo 650 for a year and when I switched back to PPC (for good) earlier this year, I got over the resolution difference in about a day. Granted, some images look a bit better and you can decrease the size of fonts to a certain degree and still remain legible, but other than that, there wasn't really any trouble transitioning between 320x320/320x480 and 240x320/240x240. Now, don't get me wrong, the 320x320 screens are great and sharper than 240x240, but since its basically upscaling a 160x160 native OS, you're not really seeing more on the screen than a 240x240 device, especially on webpages.
    Higher resolution help alot on movie viewing and photo slide show. You can't argue about the preference becuase, they are personal perference. To me higher resolution is more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post

Now, don't get me wrong, the 320x320 screens are great and sharper than 240x240, but since its basically upscaling a 160x160 native OS, you're not really seeing more on the screen than a 240x240 device, especially on webpages.
    I think you're right on both counts. The 320x320 screen is abso-freaking-lutely amazing when you upgrade from the classic 160x160 from an aesthetics point of view. It doesn't make the system any easier to use, but it's just a wonderful pleasure just to look at the darn thing that you instantly fall in love. Windows probably splits the difference -- it's better than the classic Palm, but not as good as the current palm. But as with so many other things, you adapt. What was beautiful to me at one point is now the norm. And as you've found out, going to Windows, what is slightly uglier to begin with, rapidly fades back to the norm as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer View Post
    I think you're right on both counts. The 320x320 screen is abso-freaking-lutely amazing when you upgrade from the classic 160x160 from an aesthetics point of view. It doesn't make the system any easier to use, but it's just a wonderful pleasure just to look at the darn thing that you instantly fall in love. Windows probably splits the difference -- it's better than the classic Palm, but not as good as the current palm. But as with so many other things, you adapt. What was beautiful to me at one point is now the norm. And as you've found out, going to Windows, what is slightly uglier to begin with, rapidly fades back to the norm as well.
    I think WM5 is more aesthetically pleasing than the more bare-bones approach the Palm OS takes. I guess I like more color and a smoother look than the more utilitarian look of Palm OS. However, this all goes back to preference.

I do remember looking at my friend's Treo 600 in comparison to my 650. WOW! Now THAT is a HUGE difference. On the 600 you could literally see the pixels.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I went from the 600 to the 700P and the screen and the EVDO was the selling point for me. Going from 160x160 to 320x320 was absolutely wonderful.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    I think the 700W's viewable area is a tiny bit smaller than the 700P/650's. Right?

I'd rather not make that particular sacrifice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12