1.    #1  
    In his article , columnist Mike Elgan has thrown his weight behind the Blackberry Pearl as the heir apparent to the smartphone crown.

He sees the Pearl as the tiny next Big Thing. "The Pearl is the first major example of the fourth generation: full-featured smart phones that feel like tiny cell phones."

He claims to have been a long time Treo user, but after using the Pearl for less than a week he says he can type faster on it. In fact going back to the Treo, with it's "slow, dull, old-school rocker dial" he says, " was like driving an old pickup truck after test-driving a Ferrari." Ouch!

How will Palm answer this?
    The pearl has a new mouse style "roller-ball" to navigate with. It also has some pretty chrome trim to make for some appealing eye candy. It feels tiny and svelte in the hand. Big deal. This is RIM's first media capable device that even has an expansion slot. Smaller is not always better. No touchscreen! This reminds me of 3 years ago when everyone was so excited about Blackberry's innovative new side rocker dial as the next great thing! Yawn.

When you are playing feature "catch-up" all you need are the buzz of a few key Hollywood celebrity endorsements, some well placed media spin reviews and you are off to the races with your marketing agenda. Soon we will likely be reading human interest feature articles about the rebirth of "Berrying" among Senators and the powerful elite on Capitol hill in DC. Yawn.

To their promotional credit, RIM also does a tremendously good job of store level product rep support. Many Cingular store employees get weekly visits, perks, training, bonus incentives, free devices, etc. It soon starts to become a big old band wagon love fest! The BB Pearl is a nice device for those inclined. Smart phone crown? Ferarri?

Yawn!

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the BB Pearl with my yawns. While roller track balls may likely be improved upon and become more common to navigate with, the tiny size of the viewing area in this screen display will remain a limitation as a more fully functional smart device. Consider the additional details that the author goes on to discuss:

["The Pearl isn't perfect. Don't get me wrong: If you're looking for a mature, ultrasolid, well-integrated device for business, newer Treos and older BlackBerries are still your best bet. The Pearl is great for early adopters and rabid gadget freaks, but it's not for everyone. The surfaces are a little too slippery, including the keys. It can't record video. Some don't like the fact that the MicroSD card is buried under the battery and hard to remove. The camera is low quality. It has an LED flash, but one so dim to be nearly useless. The "Maps" application is inferior in every way to Google's mobile Maps application. In short, the Pearl is a 1.0 device. Almost all the reviews I've read on the Pearl slam the keyboard as a necessary evil. Its unconventional format is a little hard to use at first, and it relies on a RIM software application called SureType. RIM first introduced its predictive-typing technology SureType in the 7100 line. The Pearl sports an improved version of SureType."]

Sure Type can be about as graceful as WM Character recognition. I agree with the author on one thing and that is the fact that the Pearl is current reigning crown of Marketing spin and excitement over something new and different. It has a ways to go to become a fully interfaceable business device.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
  4.    #4  
    I agree. It seems the author was at least as excited about the SureType program as he was about the actual device--and that was only certain aspects of it. A program that learns from the user is good, but can be created for any platform.

But at least on one thing I think he had a point. Palm has generally been content with a kind of punctuated evolution. They make something really new and then refine it for a long time, perhaps too long or at least too slowly, before coming out with their next really great idea.

RIM, always running behind, feels they have to come up with something really new to "wow" everyone. And they have mixed success with it. Part of it is a great idea, part of it is just plain quirky. Who puts the card under the battery anyway?
    suretype sucks. i use it everyday. it sucks. it learns? not mine.

sure you can set up auto correct to "tweak" suretype to do what you want it to, but I rather just type.

i make typos on both the treo and my blackberry. having to go back and correct these on the blackberry is more of a chore. and a two handed operation.

if i could i would switch to a full kb bb right now, but still use my teo 680 a lot more.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I hate suretype. It sucks. Give me a full keyboard any day.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    The GF had an 8100, she took it back. I have a 680 and an 8700, and am torn between the two. For sheer power, the Blackberry wins hands down. It's email handling (PUSH and Pull), is seamless. The Treo 680 is a good device which has some useablity features over the BB (import/export .vcf/.vcs) which the BB doesn't have..amazingly.

If all you want is a lean, stripped down email/text/calendar/phone..then the Blackberry is the King. If you want colors, expansion, camera, Tunes™ etc, then the Treo wins.

It's all very Binary™

No flames please..this is just my opinion.

YMMV

Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    to each his/her own. the Pearl is a tremendous device, out of the box, whose focus is primarily previous Blackberry users and adopters of "smaller works just as well." there are no battery issues, no reset issues, and most definately no "i need a multitude of 3rd party apps to make this thing useful" complaints. it's pocketable, extremely light, and functional. this is not designed for the "keep me company at the carwash or airport" type nor is it meant for those who need screen real estate (and whatever by-product that brings). the thing works and they're popping up like crazy in my business. in the end, why would you want to carry around a big clunky device if you didn't have to? the device would work for so many out there but definately not for the sentimentaly attached Treo owner. it's biggest misgiving? it's called a blackberry and those not familiar with them think they're only for receiving email and nothing else. they do offer lots more out of the box for the non-finance industry professional just as well.

i agree with ATG. i think the opportunity cost is "pocketability." if you want it then you got to give up some features. if not, then the Treo is the answer for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    The GF had an 8100, she took it back. I have a 680 and an 8700, and am torn between the two. For sheer power, the Blackberry wins hands down. It's email handling (PUSH and Pull), is seamless. The Treo 680 is a good device which has some useablity features over the BB (import/export .vcf/.vcs) which the BB doesn't have..amazingly.

If all you want is a lean, stripped down email/text/calendar/phone..then the Blackberry is the King. If you want colors, expansion, camera, Tunes™ etc, then the Treo wins.

It's all very Binary™

No flames please..this is just my opinion.

YMMV

If I quote you and your trademarked comments, do I have to pay royalties?

By the way. Treo wins. Flame away.
    Tasty, you're right. If you have to carry a Treo then by all means it definately wins.

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    In his article , columnist Mike Elgan has thrown his weight behind the Blackberry Pearl...
    My reaction to this is "so what?" Are we so insecure in our decisions that we need validation by someone famous to feel ok? Do I really care what works best for Mike Elgan? I'm more than capable of deciding what works best for me, based on my needs and usage patterns. I'm happy for Mike that he found something that makes him happier than a Treo. But I know that the Treo makes me happier than the Pearl would. I suppose if 90% of my Treo usage was for email, I might choose the BB, too. But the Treo is so much more versatile, for my needs it leaves the Pearl in the dust.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I am so not impressed by this. I mean like more have said. It depends on what you use it for. I don't use my Treo for email. I get too many with big attachments during the day. I think that even the pearl would have problems with my emails.

But to each his own. If he loves this thing then I am happy for him. For me I couldn't be happier with my Treol.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    No battery issues with the Pearl? Yes, my co-worker has one and that is her biggest complaint. She also does not care for the key pad. There are many functions my Treo 700p handles much better than hers and when it comes to document handling, there is no comparison. She does like the small feel and the camera.

Ben
  14.    #14  
    Part of the reason I found this article was that a friend was looking for a new phone. Despite initially being in favor of the Pearl, it turns out that having tried it, he hated the keyboard and the suretype. He never even got to whether there's a battery issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I suppose if 90% of my Treo usage was for email, I might choose the BB, too.
    Even IF all my usage was for email, I wouldnt switch to a BB unless I had the full keyboard.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve