Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    My Palm got stolen while I was having my oil changed a while back, and this time I'm considering going to a Treo to get away from carrying 2 devices with me.

    I've played with my wife's 650 and it seems like a reasonable choice -- the buttons aren't really a disadvantage versus Graffiti (especially versus Garaffiti 2 - yuck) and she seems to get good reception at my house (though using a different carrier). So I'd be willing to accept a 650 and its need to charge nightly, but I guess I'd like a good overview of the alternatives before I commit to spend the money.

    Points that I think are probably relevent include:
    • I'm currently a Cingular user, but don't know that I'll re-up with them after my experiences. An unlocked phone makes sense. (Is unlocking a Treo really as easy as those $9.95 eBay ads make it seem?)
    • Most of my usage of the phone will be as a day planner, using standard Palm apps. Note that there's nothing special about Palm's productivity applications -- any would likely do about as well.
    • I've grown fond of the voice memo function on my Palm, as it makes it simple to make a quick note including start/stop/mileage/work performed at a client site. It's not something I'll die without, but it can be really handy.
    • In a perfect world I'll be able to use my phone to ssh into a server and restart a borked process while on vacation. I know there are Palm apps that do this, but have never used them and don't know anything about reliability or whatnot


    So, I know that Treos in general will do what I need, but are some more well-suited than others? If I opt to go with a 650, is there a better place to buy than from someone with good feedback on eBay for $250? The 680 seems like a marginal upgrade (for $150 more), but do the 7xx models offer a compelling reason to go that route instead?

    Are there other options that I should look at? I wouldn't at all mind having a linux-based device to carry around with me, but don't know how well they perform. Palm OS is boring, but it's about as reliable as I've seen, so I'd hate to give that up.
  2. #2  
    I'd say a Treo 650 is still your best bet. It is very stable with the latest firmware. And you should be able to get one pretty cheap. That is, if you want to go with Cingular.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3. #3  
    I second the motion for a Treo 650, though I must admit that the 680 looks really appealing (especially in the colors).

    My 650 is stable, easy to use, highly useful, loaded with third party programs that I couldn't replicate on the WM5 platform (I tried). I'm guessing the 680 is just the same, except waaay purty.

    I have an unlocked/unbranded 650 on T-Mobile. If you stick with Cingular get one of their subsidized ones but I think if you price out the monthly charges it may be cheaper in the long run to buy an unlocked 650 or 680 and switch to T-Mobile (lower monthly fees, especially data). So for instance if T-Mo is $20/month cheaper than Cingy that's $240 in a year. If you spend that on a Treo and switch to T-Mo you're at par after 12 months. And money ahead after that.

    Me personally I would only buy a brand new Treo from a reputable source (Palm, Amazon, store) or I would buy a second hand Treo in a face to face setting.

    The additional cost to go from a $250 eBay deal to a Cingular Treo or even an unlocked 680 from Palm is soooo worth it -- you have a warranty. You can return it in 30 days. Etc. Don't cheap out.
  4. #4  
    If you are going to be a power-user and are looking for network management tools, and are located in an EVDO area, then the 700 series is definately worth looking at. You can tether your 700 to a laptop and enjoy a level of broadband net access you can't get with the 650.
  5. #5  
    As a 650 & now a 680 user, the upgrade is not marginal. I tweaked a lot with my 650 to make it more stable and out of the box the 680 is better. I have to telnet into servers daily and the network apps do function better. The added memory makes all the difference. The only issue I am facing is the reduced battery life but if you know you have to charge it daily you will be fine. Now if you move away from GSM then the 700 series would be better.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  6. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Zeanah View Post
    • In a perfect world I'll be able to use my phone to ssh into a server and restart a borked process while on vacation. I know there are Palm apps that do this, but have never used them and don't know anything about reliability or whatnot
    Carefull about that. I bought a GSM 650 to do just that, and it turned out that sure it worked fine, but i can not SSH to a server WHILE i talk to a client. So in the beginning the clients called back to get an update and interrupted my work :-( But then i started using screen at the server, and then they wont interrupt as much ;-)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks folks. You made it easy to decide.

    Well, mostly....
  8. #8  
    If you decide to go with a 700p and Sprints coverage is good in your area, I'd recommend a SERO plan. Free vision and cheap voice plans. The info is at sprint.com/sero. Use "savings@sprint.com" as the email address.
  9. #9  
    I have a quick question I have nextel 7100i and I want to go to sprint to get the treo 700wx or 700p. I checked out the SERO plan and it looks amazing.... What is the downside of using the SERO plan?
  10. #10  
    No obvious downside. There are no shared plans. There's only three plans to pick from. It was originally for family and friends of Sprint employees, but now its an un advertised holiday promotion. I'd get it, but I'm not a new subscriber and I need multiple phones on a shared plan. Plus I've got some grandfathered goodies.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    As a 650 & now a 680 user, the upgrade is not marginal. I tweaked a lot with my 650 to make it more stable and out of the box the 680 is better. I have to telnet into servers daily and the network apps do function better. The added memory makes all the difference. The only issue I am facing is the reduced battery life but if you know you have to charge it daily you will be fine. Now if you move away from GSM then the 700 series would be better.
    Will you STOP it already? I had it all perfectly rationalized away -- I stay with my 650 because the 680 ain't all that much more. Now you're going and spoiling my logic with facts.

    . . . . I'm flying through the Dallas airport tomorrow. I wonder if Palm has a store there? . . . .
  12. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #12  
    Go for the Cingular 680 if they will sell you one for $250 (some places are offering it free!). Otherwise buy a 680 from Palm and trade in your old PDA. Don't be fooled by people about the 650 vs. the 680... they have significant differences, the most obvious being ram. For reasons I don't understand yet, the 680 is alot more stable than the 650 was! I would not recommend a 650 unless you are ready to strip the rom and use it in bare bones mode. Good luck...
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Go for the Cingular 680 if they will sell you one for $250 (some places are offering it free!). Otherwise buy a 680 from Palm and trade in your old PDA. Don't be fooled by people about the 650 vs. the 680... they have significant differences, the most obvious being ram. For reasons I don't understand yet, the 680 is alot more stable than the 650 was! I would not recommend a 650 unless you are ready to strip the rom and use it in bare bones mode. Good luck...
    My 650 had problems in the early days, but with the latest firmware, mine is very stable (Cingular). Not sure about the others.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Carefull about that. I bought a GSM 650 to do just that, and it turned out that sure it worked fine, but i can not SSH to a server WHILE i talk to a client. So in the beginning the clients called back to get an update and interrupted my work :-( But then i started using screen at the server, and then they wont interrupt as much ;-)
    I found the latency on GPRS (GSM 650) unbearable for SSH. It is much better on my 700p.
  15. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I found the latency on GPRS (GSM 650) unbearable for SSH. It is much better on my 700p.
    I did not notice any LAG or latency problems on my 650. Maybe it was the provider? Or their setup of the GSM network?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I found the latency on GPRS (GSM 650) unbearable for SSH. It is much better on my 700p.
    GPRS is just unbearable, period.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Go for the Cingular 680 if they will sell you one for $250 (some places are offering it free!). Otherwise buy a 680 from Palm and trade in your old PDA. Don't be fooled by people about the 650 vs. the 680... they have significant differences, the most obvious being ram. For reasons I don't understand yet, the 680 is alot more stable than the 650 was! I would not recommend a 650 unless you are ready to strip the rom and use it in bare bones mode. Good luck...
    Well, would you elaborate a bit? From what I see the 680 pretty much looks like the 650 except for RAM.

    I'm only interested in GSM and Palm Os.

    I'm reluctant to "upgrade" given the lack of wi-fi and the tiny battery. It doesn't really seem to offer all that much.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 12/25/2006 at 04:52 PM.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.

Posting Permissions