Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Michael Mace at Mobile Opportunity is always insightful, and this is a great post on what Palm's CEO was *really* saying at a recent press gathering where he talked about everything from future Palm PDA development, to iPhones, Windows Mobile, and plenty more:
    Understanding Palm - What Ed Colligan Really Said
  2. #2  
    nice article. I like the part about someday seeing wifi on palm devices.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I noticed that and chuckled a little ...
  4. #4  
    I guess I am their prototypical user: PDA/Internet Device/Mobile Computing and, oh yeah, -- that phone thingie.
  5.    #5  
    Yup, same here. I also especially liked Mace's comments about different market segments and where the iPhone will fit in: "...it'll be a music phone for people who want entertainment"
  6. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #6  
    Reading over comments made by both colligan and hawkins again made me think that this "mystery device" may not be a smartphone at all. It may instead be an ultra fast mobile computer which may borrow the treo's form factor..
    By leaving out the phone chip, they might have room to include a gps chip inside. Voice over the internet may be the next step, but I'm not sure if this is possible without the phone chip inside.

    Here's my bet on Palm's 3rd business:

    1) 45 yr old : the pda sector
    2) Teenager: the smartphone
    3) child : ultrafast pocketable
    mobile computers
    (gps, wifi, VOIP, etc)
    built to replace the
    desktop and or laptop.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  7. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Reading over comments made by both colligan and hawkins again made me think that this "mystery device" may not be a smartphone at all. It may instead be an ultra fast mobile computer which may borrow the treo's form factor..
    By leaving out the phone chip, they might have room to include a gps chip inside. Voice over the internet may be the next step, but I'm not sure if this is possible without the phone chip inside.

    Here's my bet on Palm's 3rd business:

    1) 45 yr old : the pda sector
    2) Teenager: the smartphone
    3) child : ultrafast pocketable
    mobile computers
    (gps, wifi, VOIP, etc)
    built to replace the
    desktop and or laptop.
    Wow. The profound impact that wifi could have on carriers never really hit me until now.

    I'm still letting this sink in. To a carrier, VOIP is simply a mis-spelled word, "VOID"!

    Are some cities actually wifi in the world (like a college campus - but in an urban setting)?
  8. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm not sure, but it raises definite possibilities. I'm also interested in the potential for WIMAX in future mobile computing. It MAY be a great deal faster than Evdo - but again, I'm not sure about that.

    I think Palm's major goal here will be to try and replace the notebook pc. Having windows onboard now opens up the channels for enhanced media & entertainment capabilities.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  9. #9  
    according to ed:
    On the Motorola Q. (The general tone of rumors around the mobile industry is that the Q is a failure, with low sell-through and lots of returns. Colligan did nothing to contradict those rumors.) Integrating a whole mobile computer and OS is difficult. Also, it's nice to make a thin product, but not if you make the battery so small that the device can't get through a day's use. It's hard to balance all the features and user experience and get them all right. "I think they got some of those things wrong."

    really Cracked me up.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I'm not sure, but it raises definite possibilities. I'm also interested in the potential for WIMAX in future mobile computing. It MAY be a great deal faster than Evdo - but again, I'm not sure about that.

    I think Palm's major goal here will be to try and replace the notebook pc. Having windows onboard now opens up the channels for enhanced media & entertainment capabilities.
    Palms strength is Palm OS. "having windows onboard opens up the channels"... true.. But it also means that your device no longer functions as a pda or phone... Now it's a pc....whith phone capabilities.

    I'd rather have a phone that works great for quick notes and contacts and has other features on it, even if not completely capable of replacing a computer.

    Vrs. the "okay I'd like to make a call. Start->programs->communications->phone okay and oh crap what does 'network device irq not less than or equal to'. Okay hold on... lets see. I'll go here to control panel and.. Damnit...it's crashing again!"
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, that's not really anywhere near what the experience is on Windows Mobile powered smartphones - try "Press obvious green phone / call button > dial number". In fact, my recent experience with HTC WM smartphones vs. a Treo 650 (running Palm) before them is that the Treo was the *only* one capable of complete freeze-up / nosedive DURING a call - and also subject to far more frequent resets during phone-related activities ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzz0 View Post
    Vrs. the "okay I'd like to make a call. Start->programs->communications->phone okay and oh crap what does 'network device irq not less than or equal to'. Okay hold on... lets see. I'll go here to control panel and.. Damnit...it's crashing again!"
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzz0 View Post
    Palms strength is Palm OS. "having windows onboard opens up the channels"... true.. But it also means that your device no longer functions as a pda or phone... Now it's a pc....whith phone capabilities.

    I'd rather have a phone that works great for quick notes and contacts and has other features on it, even if not completely capable of replacing a computer.

    Vrs. the "okay I'd like to make a call. Start->programs->communications->phone okay and oh crap what does 'network device irq not less than or equal to'. Okay hold on... lets see. I'll go here to control panel and.. Damnit...it's crashing again!"
    Hmm, more objectivity, less Palm OS fanboy please.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Wow. The profound impact that wifi could have on carriers never really hit me until now.

    I'm still letting this sink in. To a carrier, VOIP is simply a mis-spelled word, "VOID"!

    Are some cities actually wifi in the world (like a college campus - but in an urban setting)?
    VoIP is not a threat to existing (wireline) carriers, really. Vonage and ComCast are the threats, and they do use VoIP. Subtle distinction, I admit.

    The "Bell" companies are deploying VoIP in certain market spaces, but not yet residential (although Verizon has done so in northern VA). The pricing model is different (flat-rate vs. metered), transition costs have to be managed (training costs dwarf the equipment costs) - but at some point in the deployment the economics tip in favor of the new, and the race is on to shut down the old.

    On the wireless side, a "WiFi Treo" will be accepted by the mobile carriers as part of a similar change from metered service to flat-rate mobile contracts (already under way as monthly minute packages get larger).

    WiFi and WiMax will not be limited to one type of carrier - both wireline and wireless carriers will deploy this technology, as will new competitors (ClearWire, Earthlink, local governments providing WiFi as a "utility").
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Reading over comments made by both colligan and hawkins again made me think that this "mystery device" may not be a smartphone at all. It may instead be an ultra fast mobile computer which may borrow the treo's form factor..
    By leaving out the phone chip, they might have room to include a gps chip inside. Voice over the internet may be the next step, but I'm not sure if this is possible without the phone chip inside.

    Here's my bet on Palm's 3rd business:

    1) 45 yr old : the pda sector
    2) Teenager: the smartphone
    3) child : ultrafast pocketable
    mobile computers
    (gps, wifi, VOIP, etc)
    built to replace the
    desktop and or laptop.

    This kind of worrys me. I haven't listen to the audio yet but I will later. But from the clipnote this "Hawking device" is real. And it sounds pretty "beefy".

    OK we can assume it has
    1. a keyboard ("we are in the mobile computing business.")
    2. decent storage, I am guessing 8GB flash or maybe a small 30GB HDD. I much prefer flash personally.
    3. a build in modem, and probably not a phone. Now this worrys me. In this country, you have to work with the mobile carriers to get a modem in your gadget. How can they get approval from multiple carriers and still keep the monthly price low? I doubt Sprint will only charge you $15/m for that.


    As far as form factor goes, I am guessing some where between HTC Universal and the Nokia 770. Or maybe even bigger, like the Archos AV700. I don't know, I don't think there is a market for that. Tablet PC, UMPC and the Sony counterparts didn't sell because people think they are too big, too expensive and do too little. I don't see how it will become popular.

    I don't want it personally either. I want a keyboard-less phone from Palm because I think Palm can make a cheaper and more ergonomic Nokia N95. But apparently they are not making one.

    On top of that they don't have an OS. It doesn't sound like they have commited to either Linux or WM. I think putting Linux on it will limit the appeal of the device, no matter how good Linux will be. Also, the LifeDrive wasn't a good engineering design. They have no creditbility in making "cure-all" gadgets.

Posting Permissions