1.    #1  
    I notice many of the posters on this site use Cingular or Verizon on their Treos. Is there a reason for this? Do Cingular and Verizon have better coverage and/or download speeds than Sprint? T-Mobile? Nextel?

My contract with Sprint is over in a month. I am considering if I should switch to another carrier before I buy a Treo. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I think it really depends on where you live. Where I am, Sprint is definitely the better combination of service plan and coverage.
    It really can vary depending on your location. I get better coverage, data speed and call quality with Sprint where I live. This is compared to Cingular which I switched from earlier this year. If you live away from a major metro area, Sprint will likely give you problems.

You also have to consider things like the freedom of using a GSM phone vs using a CDMA phone. GSM lets you switch phones at your convenience by switching the SIM card (ie Treo during the day and a razor on the weekends) and GSM phones are more flexible for international travel.

I would suggest talking to people in your area to see how their service is. Take into consideration that if they have the crappy free phone that came with their service, their reception may not be as good as an upgraded model.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert30 View Post
    I notice many of the posters on this site use Cingular or Verizon on their Treos. Is there a reason for this? Do Cingular and Verizon have better coverage and/or download speeds than Sprint? T-Mobile? Nextel?
    If you want the fastest download speeds for the least money, Get a 700 with Sprint. Their download speeds should rival Verizon's at about 1/3 the price.

US carriers have caromed all over the place in the digital wireless era. Some carriers, like AirTouch, went CDMA. Others, like AT&T, went TDMA. The TDMA carriers have now converted to GSM. Sprint PCS started as a GSM network, but they later converted to CDMA. T-Mobile is actually a latecomer, with a from-scratch GSM network.

As a result, GSM coverage in the US was well behind CDMA until the last year or two. It's pretty equivalent now.

I've been a Verizon customer for over five years, switching to T-Mobile next week. Verizon has wonderful network coverage - I can think of places I've gotten a great signal where other networks simply don't register. However, Verizon is probably the most expensive carrier if you want an unlimited data plan ($45/mo.). My phone bill will fall by 50% when I switch.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    I've been with Alltel for over a year now (they bought out the AT&T here) and have been extremely happy with them. We have all the major carriers (Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, and Nextel) and I won't use any other carrier. It truly does matter where you live. Even if you ask around, everybody is going to have their preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    My phone bill will fall by 50% when I switch.
    Please check in AFTER that first or second bill to confirm your actual savings. I am with Verizon now and have always found that while their upfront costs may seem high, that once you get past the month-to-month gimmicks of other carriers, that it is not significantly more expensive than other carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Please check in AFTER that first or second bill to confirm your actual savings. I am with Verizon now and have always found that while their upfront costs may seem high, that once you get past the month-to-month gimmicks of other carriers, that it is not significantly more expensive than other carriers.
    The voice side of the plan goes from $99 to $49. On the data side, I was spending about $25 each month - an unlimited plan would have been $45 - compared to $5.99.
    I am with Cingular because, well, my company pays for it. Beyond that, I do like the many advantages that GSM has over CDMA (SIM card, International Roaming, lack of carrier tie-in for devices, etc.)

I can't go with CDMA because of international travel, but if I absolutely had to pick a CDMA vendor it would be Sprint. I'm not sure I'd use Verizon unless they paid me. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    definately depends on where you live, your budget, and how much value you place on customer service. sprint does not provide decent coverage in my area and i think their customer service is the poorest in the biz. i've been a happy verizon customer for over 10yrs but their coverage area/evdo is best for me. since purchasing a Pearl and a 680 i've initiated service with T-Mobile and have been HIGHLY impressed with their coverage and customer service (i think best in the biz). another thing i like about T-Mobile is their lower data costs (compared to VZ) and the "M-Fav's" option (you can choose 5 phone numbers which you can call on an unlimited basis). the GSM feature is also a nice add (sim card swapping, int'l capability).

best success
    I originally was with Cellular One/Verizon then when the first Handspring phone came out it was only available through Voicestream (now TMO) & have been with them since. I too travel a great deal internationaly and could not do w/o GSM.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO