1.    #1  
    Is there a way to objectively evaluate service quality? Here's my dilema; I'm moving the entire company (a whopping 15 phones) to one service contract with Cingular. Two of my guys who work in a very rural area (southern Illinois) are raising a stink because they don't believe Cingular is any good down there - only Verizon is acceptable.

They might be right, but I'm also aware of "urban legend" when it comes to service. Where I live, 5 yerars ago Sprint used to be awful - now their service is indistinguishable from everyone elses, but a large group of people still believe that Sprint sucks.

I'd just like to have some real facts before I decide whetehr or not to make these guys switch. Any resources that can help with this? Thanks!
    Are you asking about signal strength? That you can check with just a couple of phones.
    Its the same in every organization - there are ALWAYS, ALWAYS people who claim that their service is best and put up a big stink about service quality. Be wary - if you are currently reimbursing them on their existing phone, they may be more concerned about "losing" free use of the phone than losing calls...
    The phone itself can make a big difference as well with reception. I swore off Sprint several years ago because of the crappy reception I got with my free phone. I cancelled before the trial period and stayed with Cingular. My friends said it was the phone, but I didn't believe them. I moved to Sprint again earlier this year with a Treo and my reception is better than Cingular was. It turns out it was the crappy phone I had before.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for both of your responses.

If they were in a single area, then checking with a few different phones would be feasable. But their all over the lower third of the state.

With respect to your input Mr. Lucas, they shouldn't have that concren since I swallowed that pill long ago. I give everyone a phone and fully expect that they won't carry around two: I expect them to use it for non-work related calls and that's ok. The difference in cost doesn't justify my spending the time analyzing the bill call by call.

I'd just like to know if there rexists any hard facts that can be used to compare coverage. Is there really a significant difference between carriers. The areas they work (except when they're near St. Louis) will probably never have 3g (or even 2g) speed). They're salesmen, so the real bottom line here is best service. Maybe I should just continue to let them pick what their favorite is and pay the bill. One missed deal over cell service would blow away years of cost savings.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    The phone itself can make a big difference as well with reception. I swore off Sprint several years ago because of the crappy reception I got with my free phone. I cancelled before the trial period and stayed with Cingular. My friends said it was the phone, but I didn't believe them. I moved to Sprint again earlier this year with a Treo and my reception is better than Cingular was. It turns out it was the crappy phone I had before.
    Good point on the phone - I've had that experience even with the same phone model. One wouldn't work in my house, and I thought I'd just have to live with it until a buddy came over with the same model and had perfect service.
    Here's a thought. If the guys who are on the Verizon service have phones who's antenna extend out then their phones are probably still able to use the older analog service. If that's the case they will have better coverage than any of the digital networks and maybe you can make an exception in their case.

If they have the newer digital only phones like a chocolate for instance or treo then they are on digital only and it's likely their coverage might be better in places but won't be that much more pervasive than anyone else.

When I was on Verizon, it was definitely the strongest network with the best coverage but that was about 4 years ago.
  8.    #8  
    That's a fact I wasn't aware of. Since their both sporting Q's I guess I can assume their all digital and the carrier won't matter.