1.    #1  
    I checked out the retail store today. I thought they'd have more in the way of 3rd party accessories and such (like some of the airport stores), but pretty much just palm products. Palm cases, headsets etc. Not too much was on display. I realize this is the first day, but I was pretty surprised.

They do have a table with all the Treos that customers can play with, which is great.

Nothing earth shattering here. Just thought I'd share.
    No competition, all the money will go into Palm's pocket. If they sold 3rd party products, they'd have to split up the profits, right?

I've gone to Sony and Nokia stores before and they don't sell 3rd party stuff too much eihter.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Does it have walls of fancy LCD screens like the Nokia store.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I just saw the store when I was across the street from Radio City Music Hall.
    It was closed at the time, but looks useless to me. Who in the world would walk in to purchase an OEM charger for 10x more than ebay? Then again, it's a very rich area. palm wouldnt even make a fraction of the rent for that store by selling anything there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    palm wouldnt even make a fraction of the rent for that store by selling anything there.
    That's true about many "flagship" stores. Prada, DKNY, FAO Schwartz, etc. - they are all "loss leaders" to make the brand more visisble and attractive ("cool"). Stores like this are primarily a billboard - product sales are secondary.

Tens of thousands of tourists visiting NYC will see the store, as will City residents. Most of them will never have used a Palm, nor will they even enter the store. But for some of them, something will click when their coworker or neighbor has one in his hand, or when that lawyer at that great kosher deli down the street just won't shut up, and they will eventually go off to eBay or Cingular or wherever and buy one.

(Which is why they won't take the banners down. You can't put up a billboard in Manhattan, but you can hang a banner in your store.)

If you're trying to extend the Palm franchise beyond the business user, that's a pretty good area to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    I just saw the store when I was across the street from Radio City Music Hall.
    It was closed at the time, but looks useless to me. Who in the world would walk in to purchase an OEM charger for 10x more than ebay? Then again, it's a very rich area. palm wouldnt even make a fraction of the rent for that store by selling anything there.
    Because eBay users keep reporting more and more scams. An OEM from the actual company might be the best way to go for safety and warranty. I'd rather pay more than have something mess up my device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's the new corporate fad. Every one has to have a "world store" in 5th avenue. See the new Nintendo World Store.
    Last edited by whatever7; 12/13/2006 at 11:08 AM.