Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Who else thinks this site sucks?

mobile.palmone.com

Esthetically and structurally, palm's mobile website looks great. They'd reorganized some extremely useful links and added some nice little icons to highlight each little info category.

But functionally, this site is absolutely awful, and because of the unacceptable lag time during loading, is pretty much unusable in my opinion - at least its been that way on both my 600 and my 650.

Does anyone else share this slow, frustrating experience with this site?

The site will load about 90%, but will then just lag and lag and lag until finally the last little tidbit of the front page is downloaded.

Now, try clicking on the word "finance" or any other header, and the links just won't load. AT ALL.

That's a joke. Palm's idea was nice, but achieving a smooth, functional website was never reached here, so to me, this is a worthless site to me.

Is anyone else disgusted at that design as well?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Maybe it the Javascript? Just a guess. But I looked at the source on my regular computer and they have a script in there at the bottom and that's what could be taking time to load?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    you're noticing the same issue on your treo then, right, phonediva?

the javascript might be causing it, I don't know, but whatever it is, the issue is taking the whole "mobile" aspect away from the portal's usability. it just kills it.

I'm really surprised palm hasn't addressed this problem much, much sooner. That is, if they are even aware of it or care at all.
    Honestly, no. I just looked at it on my regular computer. But I do know that Javascript can sometimes be a problem. There is nothing else in the source that should slow down the site on mobile. Unless the browser doesn't like all the tables they put in. I'd think a lot of sites have tables though.

The Google search might also be a problem. But how long does Mobile Google itself take to load?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I just tried and it seemed to load just fine. No issues here...
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Maybe he needs to clear his cache then?

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    chris and phonediva, what model treos do you both have? the 700 series or the 650?

I tried clearing the cache but the same problem remains. the lag for the opening page lasts nearly a minute or so on my phone, and I'm on sprint's cdma network.

Like I said, what's really intolerable is when I try clicking the "finance" header link on that main portal page - it won't load at all.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    just to give you an example, when I click on the palm site blazer bookmark, the browser jumps back and forth from "sending" to "receiving" several times before actually loading the page.

then, after the page loads, the browser is stuck at 30.4kbits for quite a while before finally finishing.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    next, try clicking on the link, "fandango". does it work for you?

the result is repeatable. it just won't download and just simply hangs there.

just out of curiosity, do either of you use this portal regularly?
    For sites that's slow to load, I usually press space and then enter to cancel the last few pecentage of the loading.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    pressing the spacebar could possibly help with the front page load delay, but what's really troubling is the way several hyperlinks just aren't accessible at all - they're not slow, they just don't seem to function at all.

I don't know if newer versions of blazer have solved this issue on the 700s or not, but this is a real problem on my 650..
    vw2002,

I have tried it on both the 680 and 700p. No problems.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Its a little slow but not too bad.
    Try saving the page and using that as your bookmark. It should load faster.
    700p...works fine, links too.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    thanks, sam. ill give that a shot.

I honestly think this is a problem exclusive to the treo 650.

the 680s up to the 750s probably don't because the updated blazer may handle this page better.

I wonder if this is planned obsolescence for the 650 by palm
    Very slow on my 650, too. I'm using "fast" Blazer.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    It took 40 seconds to load on a Sprint Treo650; 20 seconds going through www.google/gwt/n and 30 seconds going through skweezer.net