Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    From lifehacker.com

1. In Case of Emergency – The worldwide Emergency Number for mobiles is 112. Even if you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and you dial 112, the mobile will search any existing networks to establish the emergency number for you. Interestingly, this number can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.

2. Lock Your Keys in the Car? – If your car has a remote lock/unlock device (and you have a second one, say at home - aside from the one on your keychain that’s locked inside the car) you can call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone, hold your phone about a foot from your car door, and have the person at home press the unlock button on the device, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other remote for your car, you can unlock the doors.

3. Secret Battery Power - Imagine your cell battery is very low, you are expecting an important call, and you don't have a charger. Nokia phones come with a reserve battery. To activate it, press the keys *3370#. Your cell will restart with this reserve, and show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

4. Disabling a Stolen Phone - To check your mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #. A 15-digit serial code will appear on the screen. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

5. Testing Your Microwave - Put your mobile phone inside the microwave and close the door. Now call your mobile number from another phone. If your mobile rings you should throw away your microwave, since inside the oven, your phone should have zero reception, so if it rang it means the oven is not properly insulated.
    Hmmmm...

Nuke the Treo inside a microwave. I like that, especially if I am talking to my ex wife. Maybe I can nuke my ex by proxy by putting the Treo inside a microwave.....

Would this create any bugs I don't have with the 700p?

To be frank I don't believe any of these, but I am too lazy to try.
    The microwave test (no nuking) sounds plausible. If RF can get in then microwaves can get out.
    What's the point of having a "secret" battery reserve power (on Nokia phones)? It should be a well-documented (in their user manuals) if people need to use this feature.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    *#06# does give you the IMEI but you can get off the phone info screen too
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #1 is pretty close to the truth. #4 the IMEI for the phone is supposedly used for tracking down and disabling the phone if the carrier wishes to do so.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    call mythbusters
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    hahah MythBusters! Hmm, LifeHacker has some pretty good stuff usually, so I'll think that there is some truth to these, perhaps with variations depending on the carrier, country, etc.

But #2....I HIGHLY doubt it.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Do a search for "cell phones" on the snopes site.
    http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...&sp-m=1&sp-s=0
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    #1 is true for GSM phones which follow the standard.. see wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number
    #1 is true, but if there are absolutely no networks around, then the call will not go through.

#2 and #3 are completely false.

#4 is true of most carriers outside of the United States.

#5 is true. Try it.
    nowhere does it say you have to have the microwave turned on. just put it in & close the door.
    Correct, do not turn on the microwave! In fact, unplug it from the wall, just to be safe.
    I don't see how you can disable a GSM phone if the person can just use it on a different carrier.
    Actually they can even trace the person using the lost/stolen Phone by the IMEI number. Unless the person is using some kind of prepaid card for which the phone company has no record of the user, they could actually trace the person who is using the phone and recover it besides disabling the phone. I know of atleast one incident where the police with the help of the phone company traced a gang of cellphone thieves and caught them.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I don't see how you can disable a GSM phone if the person can just use it on a different carrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMEI

Please read the section titled "Blacklist of stolen devices"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast